It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adjunct Thread to "NYC Research Facility Compromised"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Since the topic of the original thread referenced above was more "news focused" in nature, I thought it appropriate to start a new thread to discuss a related interesting theory precipitated by a comment contributed by ManOfHart.

The original thread, "Research Center in NYC Compromised - What Could Have Escaped" can be found HERE. Please take the time to read the original thread so you can follow my thought process.

Originally posted by ManOfHart
OP, from your snippets of info, it appears these scientists were on the verge of figuring out that pathogens cause disease.

If pathogens do cause disease than I hope immune research is in full throttle.

I'm starting to believe that ManofHart's comment about pathogens possibly causing disease might be spot on. I'll try to articulate why I say this, but please keep in mind that I have no medical training whatsoever so bare with me as I explain these thoughts.

For years, MOST forms of cancer have seemingly affected random individuals. I can't tell you how many people I've heard about in recent years, individuals who lived seemingly ideal and healthy lifestyles, who were diagnosed with some form of cancer. Unless I'm mistaken (and anyone from the medical community can feel free to correct me here), with the exception of a sunbather who develops skin cancer, a chronic long-term smoker who is diagnosed with lung cancer or an individual with high cholesterol who develops heart disease, there is usually no clear cut explanation or even a query as to why a person develops one of these potentially fatal diseases out of the blue. It's as if once someone is diagnosed, they are so focused on the treatment, there is no time to question why or how he/she developed the illness. I tell you that I know at least four such individuals myself, all of whom were intellegent, healthy people who became so consumed with their diagnosis and treatment (as did everyone who cared about them), that the reasons why or how they might have possibly gotten the disease in the first place became a moot point.

Additionally, I can't be the only one who has noticed the substantial increase in autoimmune diseases diagnosed worldwide in recent years; heck, I've been diagnosed with one myself and it's been quite an ordeal keeping it at bay.

When considering the focus of research areas this particular facility in NYC was working on ptior to Hurricane Sandy, I referenced and explained four areas in the original OP -

(1) Experimental Pathology; (2) Genetics / Genomics / Proteomics; (3) Medicine: Infectious Diseases; and, (4) Microbial Pathogenesis,

- who is to say that any of the following scenarios are outside the realm of possibility:

1. As an increasing amount of chemicals and bad bacteria are introduced into our air, food and water supply, our immune systems are becoming weakened, thereby making us more susceptible to disease.

2. This facility may have been working on the theory that pathogens (perhaps even man-made pathogens, but that's conjecture and an entirely different rabbit hole) may be the true vector of diseases that we previously thought were randomly acquired. I'm talking about diseases like cancer, heart and brain diseases. Again, there's usually no explanation for why these diseases affect one individual and not another, so who's to say they aren't caused by certain pathogens, which might become akin to an infectious disease should our immune systems become weakened enough?

3. What if individuals with certain DNA make-ups have a natural immunity to these pathogens (and I would assume it's the majority of the population since more are currently disease-free than not). Would we not want to replicate this DNA make-up, if possible?

4. As more of us become immune-compromised due to elements artificially introduced in our air, food and water supply, we become more susceptible to these pathogens which might be the true vector of diseases we previously thought were randomly acquired.

If you are willing to even consider that at least some of the above statements might be possible, it leads one to question whether this facility in NYC was working on a cure for such diseases (or an eradication of the particular pathogens that are the root causes) or on a way to further mutate our immune systems, thereby making more people susceptible to these "infectious" diseases. I personally lean toward the altruistic bent and again, bare with me as I try to explain my perspective.

Their research into genomics, which includes "efforts to determine the entire DNA sequence of organisms and fine-scale genetic mapping" tells me that they might have mapped or were in the process of mapping the exact DNA profile that is resistant to these pathogens. If this is the case, why would we think they weren't looking for a way to modify DNA that has either developed with a susceptibility to opportunistic pathogens or was alterated over time by certain environmental substances we have been repeatedly exposed to. This would explain their statement and concern over having lost "precious enzymes, antibodies, and DNA strands generated by scientists". If DNA strands can be generated by scientists, why is not possible that they can also be modified of returned to their original condition? This leads to question whether such modifications would be used for the benefit or to the detriment of mankind. There is an additional area of their research which, at first glance, did not give me pause for consideration and I therefore did not highlight it in my OP (although the entire article is linked for anyone's perusal). I'm referring to stem cell research. Again, I am speaking as a lay person since I have no medical training, but everything I've ever read about stem cell research insinuates that it might hold the key to the cure for a myriad of diseases, including auto-immune diseases and perhaps even cancer. It would seem to me that based on the combination of research areas this facility was focusing on (and lost due to Hurricane Sandy) I'm more inclined toward the conclusion that they were trying to find a cure for these diseases/pathogens.

Feel free to comment at will and express any disagreements, agreements or medical mistakes. I have no ego when it comes to brainstorming with like-minded individuals on what could be extremely important subject matter. Thanks for reading through the two long threads and I welcome any comments.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I recall in the 60's nurse's and dr's who were convinced that it was pathogens that caused cancer. Interesting that this is just now becoming a subject of sincere research.

On the other hand, I recently read a physician who mentioned a study that it was not cholesterol that cause the problems with arteries and heart disease, but the inflammation in the blood vessels that allows the cholesterol to stick.

To that...there is no better drug to prevent and fight inflammation than vitamin D.

Inflamed areas of the body can eventually turn to cancer, but we don't always know when something is inflamed inside the body. They could also possibly (conjecture here) become a magnet for pathogens.

Autoimmune diseases are more often than not inherited. Doesn't mean a pathogen couldn't trigger them but in the case of something like Lupus, it seems to be the sun that is the trigger.

Interesting thread and I will follow.

Oh, I am no medical expert either but I do have a nursing background in infectious disease.

join