Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Hurricane Sandy//police are forcibly evacuating homes on the barrier islands

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I don't know what to think of this. Obviously, I feel people should leave/should have left.
But FORCIBLY evacuating people with "5 minutes" to leave???

Local word is that the gas infrastructure is damaged beyond repair and gas leaks are happening. I've also heard sewage is completely backed up & that's why.

Here's the article:

www.nj.com...

Apparently local word was correct. Article has changed (already) reflecting the gas concerns.

It must be really bad for things to get to this point.
edit on 2-11-2012 by nerdyclutzyblonde because: Sourced article has changed.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerdyclutzyblonde
I don't know what to think of this. Obviously, I feel people should leave/should have left.

Local word is that the gas infrastructure is damaged beyond repair and gas leaks are happening. I've also heard sewage is completely backed up & that's why.

Here's the article:

www.nj.com...

Apparently local word was correct. Article has changed (already) reflecting the gas concerns.

Well I can say for sure some will call them names for evacuating them and some would if they didn't.
The city workers have probably been working around the clock and emergency workers too.

No one thanks them, instead they are yelling at the power workers and throwing eggs at them...

It only makes sense some areas will become fire prone with broken gas lines and broken sewer may cause concern for health also.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Some people are idiots and deserve to get blown up by gas explosions. Throwing eggs at recovery workers. Putting other peoples lives at risk. Some people are just plain stooopid. Only in america as they say.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Here's the article:

www.nj.com...

Shouldn't there be a main valve before the gasline goes over to these barrier islands.

Seems like a simple matter of tracking the line backwards and shutting it off at a main volve. If there really is a gas leak that would be the first step anyway to fixing stuff.
I heard dribs and drabs about the media being allowed over but residents forbidden to go.
Only if the media promised not to smoke. It seemed rather flimsy at the time.
Media personalities are no better equipped and certainly have less right to have access than people who wish to spend the same 15 minutes they were alloted to view their own property.

IMO

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I had to star a couple of the replies. People were told to leave, they did not leave. I have ZERO sympathy for them. I am all for telling the Government where to go, I am not a fan. However, When emergency workers say leave? FREAKING LEAVE!

Gas leaking is nothing to play with. Even if they were to turn off the main valve there would still be enough down line to blow the island to hell.

Damn people will not be happy until they are dead.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I agree people should have left to begin with. But ya never know what any one person could be dealing with and/or thinking about.

To look at it from different lenses: what about the people who did evacuate? They can't get into their home for how long???

There are also houses in reported areas w/little damage - but work needs to be done soon to prevent to toxic mold & who knows what else.

How are people supposed to work their insurance if they can't get to their house & document damage???

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Some people deserve their fate. They are asked to leave, but don't....then they start to cry because they are in danger and put the lifes of rescue teams in danger too. In the end some people don't deserve the liberty of choice.
edit on 2-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Ive been doing volunteer cleanup work for the past three days here in coastal southern N.J. it's the least i can do for my neighbors who got hit much harder than i did. the police ordered a mandatory evacuation, and there were many who decided to ride it out. if you were stubborn enough to stay, then that was on you. they didn't go house to house forcing anyone to leave their homes, but if they had, it would have prevented a few, unnecessary deaths. no one was prepared for the destruction that occurred here, and i don't think anyone will ever forget it.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I agree people should have left to begin with. But ya never know what any one person could be dealing with and/or thinking about.

To look at it from different lenses: what about the people who did evacuate? They can't get into their home for how long???

There are also houses in reported areas w/little damage - but work needs to be done soon to prevent to toxic mold & who knows what else.

How are people supposed to work their insurance if they can't get to their house & document damage???

So what would you do? send them back?The people in Japan and many other places like haiti never have gone home, a few days have passed thats all.

top topics

join