It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ala. utilities: Our crews not turned away from N.J.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Alabama power companies are denying a local TV station's report that linemen who had traveled to New Jersey from Alabama (a right to work state) to help restore power to those hit hard by Superstorm Sandy were told they could not work there because they were non-union.

The report by WAFF TV quotes a worker from Decatur Utilities saying he was told by crews in New Jersey they could not work there, after the utility receiving a call to assist in Seaside Heights, N.J.

The Decatur employee told WAFF that crews were told to stand down, and that linemen from Trinity, Ala.-based Joe Wheeler are already headed back home. Moore said they are frustrated being told, "Thanks, but no thanks."

However, Decatur Utilities, based in Decatur, Ala., denied the report.

Seaside Heights, N.J., devastated by Sandy
In a press release issued Friday morning, Decatur Utilities said it had sent a six-man crew to the Northeast on Wednesday, bound for Seaside Heights, N.J.

"Communications with Seaside Heights was poor due to lack of cell phone service in the area," the statement said. "Upon arriving at a staging area in Virginia, crews were held in place pending clarification of documents received from IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) that implied a requirement of our employees to agree to union affiliation while working in the New York and New Jersey areas. It was and remains our understanding that agreeing to those requirements was a condition of being allowed to work in those areas.

"As we waited for clarification, we became aware that Seaside Heights had received the assistance they needed from other sources, To be clear, at no time were our crews "turned away" from the utility in Seaside Heights.

"In connection with state and regional public power associations, Decatur Utilities attempted to contact other areas that needed assistance. However, based on the uncertainty of union requirements that we could not agree to and the uncertainty of whether a resolution could be reached, we ultimately made the decision to return them to Decatur after being stalled in the Virginia area most of the day on Thursday."

George Kitchens, GM and CEO of Joe Wheeler EMC - a union shop - told CBS News that the initial report that Joe Wheeler linemen had been turned away was "completely off-base."

Kitchens said eight linemen from Joe Wheeler were among 145 Alabama linemen who traveled to Maryland and Virginia in response to calls for help with repair efforts.

"They rode out the storm, and then did repair work there," Kitchens said. "Our people are on the way back home, [but] it's not from being turned away."

Aerial views of superstorm damage
Huntsville Utilities also said their workers were not turned away and are working in storm-ravaged areas.

Utilities from other right-to-work states have also reported their crews working in New York and New Jersey, including repair crews with Electric Cooperatives of Arkansas assisting in New York State. Florida Power & Light sent more than 860 employees and contractors to assist seven utility companies from Virginia to New Jersey.

As customers in Maine and Massachusetts have regained power, utilities there have announced they are sending crews to other states still recovering from the storm.

Not all has gone well for utility workers responding to calls for help. On Monday morning police in Hagerstown, Md., said copper wire was stolen from five trucks of Pike Electric linemen who had traveled from Indiana and Ohio to assist in the recovery.

As of Friday morning power outages in the East stand at more than 3.8 million homes and businesses, down from a peak of 8.5 million. In New Jersey alone, Public Service Electric & Gas says 716,000 customers were still without power, down from about 1.4 million. Jersey Central Power & Light is reporting more than 711,000 customers still without power. Atlantic City Electric has more than 45,000 customers without power.

I heard this being reported on satilite conservative radio saying they had been turned away as they played background footage of scab and you are taking our jobs. I came back and thought about it a second then looked it up. Seems the report wasn't that truthful.

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 2-11-2012 by Grimpachi because: fix link

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
audio of union thugs screaming at workers from alabama.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

That’s my point. Why are they playing stock audio from who knows when? The facts do not back up the claims conservative radio played. They did an obvious propaganda piece. At first I was pissed until I found the truth.
Now I am pissed that the radio station lied.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Christie is having to threaten a new law to get those Union thugs under control. The audio of that and more is running aorund the net as are crews from Georgia and Florida also being given hell about affiliating with the Union there or not working.

Well.... Things like this will *NEVER EVER* be forgotten. It reaffirms my very hard core position on Unions being completely removed from ALL levels of public sector jobs and essential services. Unions to make cars is one thing...Unions to supply life saving power is not acceptable. This criminal behavior is precisely WHY.

Christie threatens ‘Disaster Control Act’ order to guarantee nonunion utility workers can help restore NJ power

Now Christie has been a fairly stand up guy. For him to say this, tells me there absolutely IS a problem and it's a real one.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I suspect that there may be a movement to make Christie look like a fool. I do not know whether or not Obama deserved the praise that Christie was gushing over him, but Christie's gushing did anger a number of people. Having Christie chasing a phantom problem would go a long way to make him look foolish.

top topics

join