It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions for a good digital photography beginners book.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Not sure where to put this post, hope this is ok....

My daughter is wanting to delve into photography, she is about to receive a Canon digital SLR for her birthday and i was wondering if there were any decent books out there that she could start herself off with?

Any recommendations? She'd be starting off with the basics of learning, till now she's just used my digital compact, but she loves the idea of learning properly. I've seen a few popular ones on Amazon, the Scott Kelby series and the likes, but wasn't sure if this would be a good starter package?

Any help most appreciated.

CX.
edit on 2/11/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

The Scott Kelby books are by far the best, you can't go wrong with them. Also if she joins Flickr there are groups on there that will help with any questions on her specific camera settings etc. I'm sure she will learn quickly and enjoy her camera.

Also she ought to check out the local photographic society, very helpful to new photographers.
edit on 2-11-2012 by alienscot1 because: had a thought afterward.

CX

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by alienscot1

Thank you, much appreciated.

The Scott Kelby books, are they all different books or are they just revised versions of the older ones? There appears to be four of five.

CX.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

The books numbered vol 1, 2, 3, etc are different books that continue where each left off. The photoshop ones are different as photoshop CS6 is a bit different to previous photoshops. All books on Amazon Uk seem to be different and relate to different programmes ie lightroom 4 and Elements. Photoshop CS is excellent for what used to be developing film, now in the digital age you convert RAW images using these programmes and being creative.

His books explain about about aperture, exposure, and depth of field simply and easily. Well worth it.

new topics

top topics

join