It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What drives some to make the assumption that the U.S. is NOT as Militarily Advanced as it truly is?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by peck420

Yes...and No. The People of the U.S. do not want WAR. But the World is a DANGEROUS PLACE! There is occasion now and then that the leash should come off.
Split Infinity

Considering that my odds of death are significantly higher going to work every day, than being a soldier in my country's military...I would say that it is far less dangerous than most media portrays.

The only time the leash should ever come off is if the country removing the leash is actually threatened by the opponent.

The US, as a country, has not been threatened since WW2. So, the leash is pretty relevant.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
People have short memories. How advanced military was the US in comparison with the Viet Cong? We all know how that one ended.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I do not advocate the loss of Civilian Control over the U.S. Military. What I do advocate is that once it has been decided to use the Military...let the Military Fight the WARS...NOT the Politicians. This has been the case in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

My Childhood friends SON came home in a BOX because of a POLITICAL DIRECTIVE as in an attempt to win Hearts and Minds in Afghanistan a SNIPER was forced to set up in a VILLAGE rather than be on a Mountain Top or somewhere HIDDEN in the field.

He was a GREAT KID and this was his THIRD TOUR. I will NEVER forgive those who placed him in this position. I myself have done JOBS for the Military and I have seen things that are so ALIEN IN NATURE to what the average American thinks how all people are just people and think alike...well THEY DO NOT!

There are People who use others in their own country as if they were a TISSUE. I have been sent to SOLVE PROBLEMS. A good JOB is when everyone goes home on Both Sides but saying Both Sides is a JOKE as their are MANY SIDES and some of these Warlords think nothing of Killing anyone...Boys, Women, Little Girls...to get their point across. However when they encounter us...they are COWARDS!

These problems were created by the POLITICAL LEASHING of the U.S. Military as if the JOB had been done right the FIRST TIME...I would not have to be HUFFING IT with 20 somethings in the middle of some Hell Hole trying to find the right people to PAY OFF! Then we make sure to let them know that if they take the money and do not do what they have promised...WE WILL BE BACK!

They are TERRIFIED of Teams such as the one I lead on occasion. I am now retiring and have trained my replacement. It takes an understanding that THEY are scared of US...and to show the tiniest bit of FEAR is inviting a bullet. I have also learned that if there is too much smiling going on...a Bomb is about to detonate. It is this total lack of concern for their own people that people here in the U.S. do not understand.

In the end...and I have this BURNED INTO MY MIND...HE WHO IS MOST DEDICATED WILL WIN THE FIGHT...THE ONE WHO HAS DOUBT WILL LOOSE. It is this that allows us to do our job as there is NOTHING that will stop us from exacting retribution for those who turn or attempt to betray us.

This is a concept that is distasteful to many but is absolutely necessary to fight and win. And when I say FIGHT...it is not necessarily the actual act but ways of fighting whether it be by Paying Off a side or bringing in Medical Supplies. Asymmetrical Warfare is something we are VERY GOOD AT. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

No...I agree that we do not get as much value as that is the way the system is designed. I was trying to convey that it is not as bad as it seems as much over inflated budgets are designed to cover Covert Program Funding.
Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

I know more about that WAR than you could imagine. When the NVC were leaving the Ho Chi Minh Trail because we were bombing it night and day...they began to use routes in Laos and Cambodia. My Mother was the "CIVILIAN" Secretary to a SAC General who ran a Massive B-52 base.

We began two secret wars and NIXON went on TV and LIED his ASS OFF! Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure we are the most advanced CONVENTIONAL military on the planet. I also am pretty sure we have the most advanced secret Military projects in the world as well. Somebody else posted that the most powerful weapons wouldn't look like a standard military attack but an act of nature. I would tend to think some of our really advanced stuff resembles or causes natural events. I'm pretty sure we have capabilities in that area and as well in some advanced biological and computer areas.

Ben Rich quotes:

"The U. S. Air Force has just given us a contract to take E. T. back home."
"We also know how to travel to the stars."
"Anything you can imagine we already know how to do."
"If you've seen it in Star Trek or Star Wars, we've been there and done that."
"We have things in the Nevada desert that are alien to your way of thinking far beyond anything you see on Star Trek."

"We have things out in the desert that are 50 years beyond what you can comprehend" "and wont be made public for another 50 years" "If you've seen it in Star Trek or Star Wars, we've been there and done that".

'We have things at Area 51 that you and the best minds in the world won't even be able to conceive that we have for 30 or 40 years, and won't be made public for another 50."

Why would we retire the SR-71 and F-117 without a successor aircraft to take their place.

There are very advanced military weapons that we have that will never see the light of day until literally, the SHTF totally. There are even conventional military projects that will fit this category as well.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Pavil...there is a very interesting Google Earth Sat picture of little puffs of smoke that lead from Groom Lake all the way east across the U.S. then across the Atlantic then other Sat picks showing these Trail of Puffs of Smoke going over Europe then the Middle East then across both China and then North up to Russia then across the Pacific and back to Groom Lake.

Some believe it is the New Recon Plane that is using a Nuclear Micro-Detonation Engine for propulsion. Very interesting. Look it up. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
They say a picture is worth a thousand words sooo...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

These are just the things that have been made public never mind the Secret Ultra-High Tech. Weapons.
Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
In many aspects we call it a modern military, in other ways it is still very traditional. Marines are still taught how to 'defend" and "kill" if ordered. Our world will always have the warrior gene as they are a needed asset to defense of this country. America needs to be strong. I do like that many new military items can "defend" and use of offense is a last measure. I hope the goverment keeps all the good stuff a secret forever and it never has to see the light of day, kinda like my generator, never use it, it's just there if needed. Just some thoughts.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Purely IMHO, but having been in the service in the 70's... If there is a future conflict requiring the force of our present military, what would come out of those hangars would be weapons never publicly seen before, and would just blow you away, literally.

Saying that, I hope it does not happen, but the odds say it probably will.
edit on 2-11-2012 by charlyv because: spelling where caught

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

US defence spending, it terms of dollars spent, means absolutely squat.

It means everything.

I did some rough figuring here...and if we replaced all 11 Aircraft carriers with brand new Ford Class Carriers (The latest out) plus a billion each just to round it out to an even 10 on cost per copy, Then we replace all 61 Destroyers with DDG-1000 type Destroyers....also the latest and greatest. Then we replace the 26 frigates and 71 submarines...ALL..with the latest currently available. ...

.....if we replace ALL of that, which is basically the entire in-service U.S. Navy......it comes to just a bit less than 2011's U.S. Defense budget spending, for that ONE year.

War spending was around a trillion for both wars combined in 2011...for the duration of them. So that means around 100 billion a year has been going out that direction. This spending was quite high well before 2001, too.

I'd only disagree with the OP in the likelihood the very high tech is even used and point to things like the Battle of Fallujah for examples of what needs some explaining for why the high tech wasn't used to prevent it entirely. On the actual money flowing........with nothing truly THERE to show for it? Well.... Even every other major nation combined doesn't come close.

If it were 2012...I'd wonder about those Arks in the movie of the same date. Oh... Err.. Wait.. (hops off real fast)

edit on 2-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Hello ! Iam new here and would like to give my comment on this issue too.

You seem very proud, from the US military. You are forgetting that, for 2 years Wikileaks has posted that hacked videos into the internet for the world to see... Do you really think that makes you proud? Are you sure? that you are proud...!? Of those soldiers, seating comfortably at their "working places" and shooting down those poor innocent people and wiping off their lifes, if they were rates?! Or if they were playing a video game!!! After having a nice delicious luch, including their dessert?! You should´nt be so proud and "show off," what the military, can do to others, with their wapons...

Maybe you are indeed, one of them, and are here to see what others write about the US military

Well, you do know that it cost lots, lots,l ots of money to maintain the military... Money is one thing that the American "Goverment" DOES NOT HAVE any more. Don´t get me wrong now, I love this Earth, Our Planet. But I don´t like people killing others für the only purpose, which is power... I love the american people too, and know very well that they are suffering much with these puppets for President... Soooooo many famalies loosing their beloved sons and doughters.... Just for Power.

You shouldn´t show off the military... You should love people. And feel SORRY for those who are dying, because the american military are practicing their wapons on innocent people. You should speak and show off of our beautiful Planet. Here für me, exists only our Planet and no private country. And maybe I´ll live to see the day, that this Planet won´t have any more bordes, so we humans can go every where. Certainly NOT, will third wourld order....Succeed

Think about it...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

The U.S. is now OVERTLY building Direct Energy Weapons and the CVN-78 Gerald R. Ford and the CVN-79 J.F.K. which will be at sea in 2015 and 2020 respectively will have Nuclear Powered FEL's or FREE ELECTRON LASER systems built in to those carriers as well as their carrier groups Aegis Cruisers.

The Ford will replace Enterprise and the J.F.K. was supposed to replace Nimitz but as all other Nimitz class carriers are to be refitted with FEL's and two new A1B Nuclear Reactors...the Nimitz may also be refitted and tasked as the Carrier for a New Carrier Group for protection of Arctic Sea lanes which will be present as by 2015 to 2017 there will no longer be any Arctic Sea Polar Ice.

This will allow shipping to cross over the North Pole and thus the reason for Nimitz to be refitted rather than decommissioned. These New Ford Class carriers as well as refitted Nimitz class carriers along with their Aegis Cruisers will all have FEL's which is a Laser that acts more like a particle beam thus is not effected by atmosphere. Questions have risen as to if the current plan of the use of two A1B Nuclear Reactors will generate enough electricity to properly run the FEL system as for over the horizon targeting...a Specialized group of Satellites that do not use current Laser Reflection Mirrors and Optics as a standard Mirror is Vaporized when an FEL beam encounters it. The FEL Reflection Satellites use a Prism system of Insect Like Multiple Prisms that can turn and vector. They also allow for Multiple Split Beaming for Target and Acquisitioning of Multiple Targets.

This is but one Direct Energy Weapon that will no longer be secret and anyone here can look it up as you just google Free Electron Laser CVN-78 Gerald R. Ford. There is also the MEB...Microwave Emitting Beam which has just been made public in that it exists. The MEB is more secret than the FEL only in that the FEL will be deployed sooner.

The release of the FEL's existence to a visiting large Chinese Military Leadership group that was invited to watch U.S. Naval War Games out of Norfolk as well as this Chinese contingent was allowed to travel to many bases all over the U.S. At the time...the Chinese were making SERIOUS THREATS about reclaiming Taiwan. The U.S. Military Planners allowed the Chinese to witness the FEL. This put the entire Chinese Military Leadership contingent in A STATE OF SHOCK. A visiting Chinese Admiral stated to the World Press much to the dismay of the Chinese Communist Party...that the U.S. has nothing to fear from China's Military as the U.S. in his words was Multiple Decades ahead of the Chinese Military.

When the Chinese contingent went home this Admiral was almost arrested and if not for the rest of the contingent backing him up in what he saw...as the Communist Party Leadership did not believe him...he would most likely have been arrested. This placed the Communist Party Leadership in SHOCK. After that...China has no longer made threats about invading Taiwan. It also has helped get a reign on North Korea and has told Iran it will not get involved if the U.S. Military was to take action against Iran.

This is a complete 180 Degree turn on China's previous policies. It was also a BRILLIANT PLAN to show China U.S. Military Capabilities as the Chinese now understood the disparity between Military Power. This Plan most likely stopped the Invasion of Taiwan.

These are Weapon Systems that the U.S. will be using shortly and there are a few FEL's that are operational now...but it is clear to the Chinese and they even went so far as to verify the FEL's existence by asking Russia which attempted to build it's own FEL but failed...to verify this Quantum Leap in Military Capability. These are weapons we KNOW about. Now imagine the ones we DON'T KNOW about. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Nice research and synopsis. I stand on my point as well as what you said at the end of your post. "What we do not know about" will truly be a mind bender. Peace.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CA2013

You have made the mistake of thinking that I am some trigger happy war monger. NOTHING could be further from the truth. I work in the Field with members of the U.S. Military and I HATE VIOLENCE. This Topic is specific to why some people on this board make the incorrect assumption that the U.S. Military is not advanced by such a factor that there is no country that would purposely start a WAR.

This is actually a GOOD THING as I would rather see this sort of power belong to the U.S. than any other country. How would you feel if CHINA had this level of Military Capability? You have gotten emotional about the topic and I can understand why but if you read my post above this one...you can see how Ultra-Advanced U.S. Military Tech...STOPPED A WAR. The Chinese were going to invade Taiwan. It was only AFTER they were shown the FEL's capabilities that the Invasion was cancelled as well as China's plans for a very large navy. That has been down scaled as well.

No one hates WAR more that those who have to FIGHT. U.S. Advancements can actually SAVE LIVES as they are the ultimate deterrent. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

Nice research and synopsis. I stand on my point as well as what you said at the end of your post. "What we do not know about" will truly be a mind bender. Peace.

Thank You but this is not research. I know this information First Hand. This is why I made this Topic...I KNOW what are capabilities are and some of it is more than some people can believe or understand.
Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CA2013

Hello ! Iam new here and would like to give my comment on this issue too.

You seem very proud, from the US military. You are forgetting that, for 2 years Wikileaks has posted that hacked videos into the internet for the world to see... Do you really think that makes you proud? Are you sure? that you are proud...!? Of those soldiers, seating comfortably at their "working places" and shooting down those poor innocent people and wiping off their lifes, if they were rates?! Or if they were playing a video game!!! After having a nice delicious luch, including their dessert?! You should´nt be so proud and "show off," what the military, can do to others, with their wapons...

Maybe you are indeed, one of them, and are here to see what others write about the US military

Well, you do know that it cost lots, lots,l ots of money to maintain the military... Money is one thing that the American "Goverment" DOES NOT HAVE any more. Don´t get me wrong now, I love this Earth, Our Planet. But I don´t like people killing others für the only purpose, which is power... I love the american people too, and know very well that they are suffering much with these puppets for President... Soooooo many famalies loosing their beloved sons and doughters.... Just for Power.

You shouldn´t show off the military... You should love people. And feel SORRY for those who are dying, because the american military are practicing their wapons on innocent people. You should speak and show off of our beautiful Planet. Here für me, exists only our Planet and no private country. And maybe I´ll live to see the day, that this Planet won´t have any more bordes, so we humans can go every where. Certainly NOT, will third wourld order....Succeed

Think about it...

What you say has a great deal of truth in it, however there is not a country on this Earth that has not suffered the consequent of war, and the expense of their people for what they believe in, and for what they have sent their military to task for those ends, albeit just or not.

War will always have the public at risk, and yes it really sucks, and so does being conquered by a country that does not hold your personal freedom as sacred as you now enjoy it. To that end, it still holds that if someone wants to take your freedom away, or put it at undeniable risk, then you need a bigger bat than they have. Such is the way of the world, like it or not.

Sure there is a better way. We could unite as a global community where there is no need to fight each other. A long way off, I am afraid.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Global Community sounds nice...it really does. But both you and I know that it won't happen anytime soon. There are people living in the Stone Age in the Middle East but they have AK-47's and IUD's. Yet they will stone a woman to DEATH out of Honor because she was Raped and is considered an Infidel.

I have been there...I KNOW how unready these people are to take part of a Global Community. If they see something they don't like...they use their Religion as a screen and KILL IT!

Funny thing is the more DEVOUT they are the further away from any possible GOD they become.
Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by charlyv

Global Community sounds nice...it really does. But both you and I know that it won't happen anytime soon. There are people living in the Stone Age in the Middle East but they have AK-47's and IUD's. Yet they will stone a woman to DEATH out of Honor because she was Raped and is considered an Infidel.

I have been there...I KNOW how unready these people are to take part of a Global Community. If they see something they don't like...they use their Religion as a screen and KILL IT!

Funny thing is the more DEVOUT they are the further away from any possible GOD they become.
Split Infinity

I have been there too my friend. I have seen things I wish to hell I never saw.
I fear for this world, and I know that in the current state of world leadership, we are in for terrible consequence lest we are some how able to turn it around.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join