It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City Marathon Is Canceled for Sunday

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

They were thinking about the $20m in economic need for the city right now, but bad timing. Bloomberg made a bad decision to allow it in the first place and now he has more of a mess on his hands. Oh well, in the end, right call to cancel or postpone.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Believe me, if the media didn't report on the strong opposition to the Marathon being held as CNN did earlier today, it would still be scheduled to proceed. I'm as surprised that he canceled it as I was in hearing they were planning on going forward with it in the first place. Very audacious, that Mayor.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I read that he originally said that he wanted it to proceed, "to lift peoples spirits" or something like that.
So people are going to wade through water to go get their spirits lifted? Pretty ignorant statement in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I could find a few good reasons for having let it go on, and posted in another thread on this. Although, that was assuming he wasn't looking political suicide in the face, in terms of community opposition. One would have thought a political tool like Bloomberg would have felt things out and been on solid ground.

Dont forget that Bloomberg was riding on the wave of adrenaline that is sure to be a part of any disaster situation. People look for a leader in such situations, even an opportunistic and greedy one, and he obviously thought he coul get away with it. Thank god better judgement (or more likely enough social pressure) eventually prevailed, but I agree and still think that this is merely a postponement intended to prevent political suicide.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Excellent point and the reason why I personally think the marathon will be back on once all of the dust settles.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I don't think there was the Village Halloween parade this year either.
Scary stuff like Ghost busters ooze causing a near cosmic calamity or
God is putting us down as in biblical days noted by Velikovsky and poo pooed
by today's Illuminati talkers to the masses.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by PsykoOps

I read that he originally said that he wanted it to proceed, "to lift peoples spirits" or something like that.
So people are going to wade through water to go get their spirits lifted? Pretty ignorant statement in my opinion.

These politicians might be in the same zip code but they're not on the same planet.
At least now there will be a focus on recovery instead of sports.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

You need to remember that the marathon has been a NY staple for over 40 years and as stupid as one may think of the runners who flew here to participate (myself included on the stupidity angle), many train for years and it bespeaks their dedication to the enterprise.

I, for the most part, are a supporter of Bloomberg. When Rudy Gulliano stepped down, the city was in fairly good shape (crime-wise, economically, etc.) but could have easilly been ruined by the wrong person. Although I haven't agreed with all of Bloomberg's decisions over the years, I think he's done a pretty good job at what I consider one of the hardest and most mine-filled jobs in the country. JMHO.
edit on 11/2/2012 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join