It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City Marathon Is Canceled for Sunday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

New York City Marathon Is Canceled for Sunday

abcnews.go.com

Mayor Michael Bloomberg bowed to public pressure today and canceled Sunday's running of the 2012 ING New York Marathon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It appears that Sandy did unite people enough to over rule Bloombergs desires. Runners who are in the area could still lend a helping hand I guess.
Some people are actually opposing this decision and saying it is "crazy". I'd say it would be pretty crazy to ignore the damage done and just go ahead with fun and games.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The first good thing Bloomberg has done. Now maybe he can get those generators to gas stations and supermarkets..

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Sad that it took the public to show him the stupidity of his ways.... It still doesn't make up for him being a general douche...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I was honestly shocked when I read that they were proceeding with the marathon and am relieved to read it's been cancelled. What could Bloomberg have been thinking???

link   
reply to post by vkey08

Or hospitals and schools

link   
I'm wondering if they just skip this totally or do it in a few months when worst damage has been dealt with. Time will tell I guess.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
RIDICULOUS!

It was the right decision to make 3 days ago. He SHOULD have cancelled it as soon as the scope of the damage was known.

But instead, he let all those people travel to New York from around the world, create havoc at the air and traffic terminals, havoc at the hotels, and havoc in the press, police, and public service corps, and then he decides to go ahead and cancel it after the public outcry?

The damage is done now, they might as well have the damn thing!

This is a prime example of weak leadership. If you make a bad decision, own it and go through with it, and mitigate the losses, don't flip-flop, back out, make excuses, and compound the errors!

Limp Noodle Leadership flipping around at the end of a poll number instead of buckling down and doing the right thing despite the cost.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by vkey08

Or hospitals and schools

That too, I just pulled two things they had mentioned earlier on the radio that could have benefited from usage of the genny's for a bit.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Nah - NYC marathon = mucho $$$ for the city in the form of sponsorships and advertising. I would be willing to bet it's a postponement.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Geez, finally a little sanity. 30,000 runners, and no hotel rooms??? The hoteliers were going to have to decide between honoring long term reservations or kicking out refugees.

I hope all the marathoners who, like idiots, got on a plane and flew to a city two days after a major disaster expecting their little ego show to go on will do the right thing and offer to help out while they're there. They'll be lucky to get flights out of the place in any event, and luckier still to have a warm hotel room with running water and electricity for the duration of their stay.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well, by how I read this, the community decided it didn't want the Marathon. At least, for now. I suppose that's how it should work and I wonder where Bloomberg had the place to say unilaterally either way.

I could find a few good reasons for having let it go on, and posted in another thread on this. Although, that was assuming he wasn't looking political suicide in the face, in terms of community opposition. One would have thought a political tool like Bloomberg would have felt things out and been on solid ground.

Hmmm... I guess he was on a sinkhole and didn't bother to look down. There was no way something like this was happening without the Community being cooperative anyway....so I'm glad he came to his senses, given how strongly people feel about it. (it reminds me why opinions about local stuff where I don't live is real shakey ground..)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Runners who are in the area could still lend a helping hand I guess.

Now there's an idea.

Instead of running the marathon - - - chip in and help people and neighborhoods in need.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I applaud the people of New York, for exerting thier will upon thier mayor, and for having the decency to do so in favour of a respectful stoppage of the Marathon. One must be capable of prioritising the practical element of a recovery, before and over the psychological requiremet for recreation and rest. Failiure to do so can only result in a bigger disaster than the one that cause the problem in the first place !

link   

Originally posted by signalfire
Geez, finally a little sanity. 30,000 runners, and no hotel rooms??? The hoteliers were going to have to decide between honoring long term reservations or kicking out refugees.

I hope all the marathoners who, like idiots, got on a plane and flew to a city two days after a major disaster expecting their little ego show to go on will do the right thing and offer to help out while they're there.

You do have to remember many of these runners are Sponsored. They themselves are a product.

And the decision to go - - may not have been their own.

link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

I'd say it would be pretty crazy to ignore the damage done and just go ahead with fun and games.

Unless the route is messed up and power cannot be restored, then yes.. Please cancel.

BUT Remember... People run for different reasons, whether it be sponsers or charities or whatever so..
Will those people want their money back?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Good point. I think this could turn in to a win win win though. A win for anyone sponsoring a runner that requests they help out instead (good publicity), a win for the runners that get to do something more meaningful than running, and a win for those that are in need of help.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Good Call!! They cant close that bridge for the whole day!! What were they thinking? LOGISTICS!!! Mayor Bloomberg wasn't thinking was he?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Yeah there's that of course. Charities are a big thing in these events. Still I think there should be priorities such as getting the power back on and get evacuatees back home before such event should literally take over the city.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Annee

Good point. I think this could turn in to a win win win though. A win for anyone sponsoring a runner that requests they help out instead (good publicity), a win for the runners that get to do something more meaningful than running, and a win for those that are in need of help.

That would be good.

You'll know by which ones are wearing clothes with their sponsor plastered all over them

top topics

<<   2 >>

join