DOJ sends voting rights monitors, observers to 23 states

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Well here we go. Some peoples heads are gonna spin around and puke out split pea soup. I know that this is going to be interpreted as, "Obama Justice Department sent to intimidate poll workers". But there is only one swing state affected. Personally, I think that voting is rigged, especially with electronic voting and it affects local elections, state elections, propositions et al. It's not who votes that counts but who counts the votes people.

Without further ado:

snip>

Washington (CNN) - The Justice Department Friday announced that it is dispatching more than 780 federal observers and monitors to 23 states to watch for potential problems which would violate voting rights protected by federal law.

The Justice Department said it was sending observers to 51 jurisdictions in those states to help enforce federal voting rights laws which protect ballot access.

The government listed the locations where officials are being dispatched-including Ohio, Alabama and Texas– but did not specify reasons. However, experts familiar with the process say the list appears to reflect concern about the minority language requirements of voting materials. Experts said most of the monitors are arranged by the Office of Personnel Management, but about 60 of those being sent are lawyers from the Justice Department civil rights division in Washington.

snip>

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...
edit on 2-11-2012 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Normally I would think that some shady happenings were about to take place, but then I looked at some of the cities that they will be going to and I can see why. Hope they are packing heat when they go to Detroit, because some of those places you have a pretty good probability of not coming back out of unscathed.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This seems like a really good idea that should be done everywhere for every election...DOJ isn't partisan, they are rule monkey beaurocrats...if some wackjob is tossing boxes of votes because they didn't like that district, I want someone to step in and say, no!.

So..good move...makes me wonder though why its not done everywhere whenever there is a campaign.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I read the thread title and thought, hmm, Holder is sending the New Black Panthers!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Why just to those 51 jurisdictions? Are they the only places with "minority languages" which may be in violation of voting laws?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Personally, I don't have a problem with this. Everyone, including the voters, will be watching everything like hawks. Justice Department people are accountable for their actions....unlike, say, United Nations reps.

This is the legal way for the Feds to do this and handle a problem they think may exist.....if it turns out to exist at all. Fair's fair. I can't complain when they do it the right way for a change.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LevelHeaded

From the article it appears that those districts are notorious for voter intimidation and suppression. Not the first time the DOJ has been sent.

I made a mistake in the OP. There are two swing states with districts on the list.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

While the article states 23 states people should know its not the entire state. DOJ is sending monitors to specific counties in thosee states who have had a history of election issues (language barriers etc). Heavily Democratic and Republican counties are on the list, and are located in states that can go for either side. Cook county (Chicago area) IL is on the list among others..

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Observers or ballot stuffers?
edit on 2-11-2012 by 11235813213455 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join