It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would aliens of different species communicate?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by coney
How would aliens of different species communicate?

Telepathy, definitely. I think aliens are smarter than us, too, they probably know hundreds of languages like C3PO does. They are not of this earth.

OF course that is the answer!!!!!! Telepathy is the universal language
People who get abducted by the greys could understand everyhting they though, and that is the same for contactees and channeled infos.

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
There is one universal language, that every race and species speaks, the language of visuals, feelings and thought.

Not necessarily, and the communications systems may be incompatable with ours.

Consider, for instance, the ant. It's capable of a lot of sophisticated things (on a fairly primitive level, true, but let's run with the example for a bit) but its communication is via smell. The honeybee uses vision, symbolic gestures (dance), and taste. How much of our emotional range is possible in (say) a dog and are there things that it feels/sense that don't directly translate into human society?

So telepathy would be how they would communicate. They could also have machines capable of reading thought/brain waves and decyphering what they mean.

I'm not sure that's possible. We have a lot of variation in speech tones and some dialects are somewhat incomprehensible to other speakers of the same language. A classic example is to set a fast-talking New Yorker (with a quick, clipped, nasal dialect) in the middle of East Texas (where they speak slowly and with a heavy drawl). I've seen this happen several times and the Texans have trouble following the speech of the New Yorker. The New Yorker has trouble with the dipthongs and vowels and phrases that are seemingly nonsensical.

Now that's just US English. This would transfer over to those species communicating with gesture and/or smell and/or sound and/or music and/or light (etc.)

Furthermore, culture dictates behavior. What if the culture HAS no concept of greed-for-something (like the American Indian cultures before contact with the Europeans.) How can you translate an unknown urge/emotion/concept to someone who has no basis for this?

I think "telepathy" is a simplistic answer... and also doesn't solve the question of "what if they can't do telepathy?"

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm not sure that's possible. We have a lot of variation in speech tones and some dialects are somewhat incomprehensible to other speakers of the same language.

Telepathy is NOT about language...if we could elevate our souls we COULD communicate with animals and all. HUMANS are like animals, primitive! We know nothing, we think the brain is everything, science and all. There is a LOT to learn, a whole lot beleive me! I've read, that in ancient times, sumerians time, I mean, man could communicate with animals

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[edit on 21/10/04 by Amelia]

[edit on 21/10/04 by Amelia]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Telepathy is only a possible way to communicate, just like the speaking for us, or the barking for dogs. Communication also consists of language and body language.

I believe, aliens have very detailed emotions too, due to the fact that they are undisturbed, and advanced intelligence also requires that. This could mean that they can love and hate in very advanced way, which requires understanding.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Again, telepathy only works if you are sure that you can be heard. Not all of those who have had contact (supposedly) were spoken to telepathically.
What then? Some other form of communication must be relied upon.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan
Again, telepathy only works if you are sure that you can be heard. Not all of those who have had contact (supposedly) were spoken to telepathically.
What then? Some other form of communication must be relied upon.

What do you mean "if you are sure that can be heard"?

At any rate, I still dont think telepathy would work (I'm dubious about the abductees claiming it), since there are so many ways to interpret something. An alien would just be sending a bunch of junk we cant possibly understand or relate. It all depends on how the human brain is designed in the "telepathic" sense though. I can imagine someone pulling words out of your storage and making sentences with them, just as I think on what I'm writing. But once again how the alien interpret the word and its association would be a huge problem.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I mean if the "sender" is sending to a reciever that does not have the ability to get telepathic messages, for what ever reason, than telepathy is usless. I was speaking hypothetically, I too think telepathy is not viable.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka

What do you mean "if you are sure that can be heard"?

At any rate, I still dont think telepathy would work (I'm dubious about the abductees claiming it), since there are so many ways to interpret something. An alien would just be sending a bunch of junk we cant possibly understand or relate. It all depends on how the human brain is designed in the "telepathic" sense though. I can imagine someone pulling words out of your storage and making sentences with them, just as I think on what I'm writing. But once again how the alien interpret the word and its association would be a huge problem.

Everybody thinks, that telepathy is a struggling, and only the lucky ones can bump into a telepathic contact by coincidence. Well, this is wrong!! People can learn telepathy, and they can have full access to it. There is nothing strange about it, you can feel the telepathic contact, and you can talk with the other person using only your mind.

Aliens can talk to you without your knowledge about it, and you can clearly understand what they tell you. You can reply them only by thinking of it, no need to learn. To establish a telepathic contact with another human, that requires learning.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
id like to put this piont across has any 1 played a game named after an Arthur.C.Clark book called Rama in which there are 2 alien races in the game and a third bird like alien

there are a few pionts in trying to comumicate with an alien race understanding speach then sooner understanding writing which has its problems as alien race's dont have to follow or mathimatic values at 1 piont we went from imperial to metric

and what if they as sum 1 pionted out used freaquencys like dolphins to comunicate or mybe even colour as a form of communication this also would pose its problems

as with telepathy thats simple i dont see anything magic bout it or anything just electical impules, i dont think a race that comunicates that wae we could understand i think at all

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Byrd, the entire basis of telepathy, is spiritual. Any creature that has a soul, is capable of telepathy. You mentioned dogs, there are telepaths, who claim they can talk to dogs and other animals. I myself talk to my dog(not telepathically, but we have an understanding, regardless of the speech barrier)

None of the physiological senses or culture matter, the language of emotion, thoughts, visuals, sound, smell, is universal. For instance, if a blind man dreams he can still see visuals.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think with regard to pets your are talking empathy not so much telepathy. Although I must admit the uncanny ability animals do seem to have in such matters.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan
I think with regard to pets your are talking empathy not so much telepathy. Although I must admit the uncanny ability animals do seem to have in such matters.

Empathy is also a psychic ability, in fact one of the harder ones.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
hmmm, I dont know, dont humans have a sense of empathy about them as well. Most people can tell when something is up to a degree, though how well is a different matter I guess :S

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

For instance, if a blind man dreams he can still see visuals.

I highly doubt that someone who was born blind has anything similar to the "visuals" a seeing person would have. They may experience patterns of color or light, and may even be able to visualize shapes (based on having analyzed those shapes with their hands) but I don't think they experience the same types of cinematics that we do when we dream.

It is amazing that very few (if any) blind or deaf people have reported alien telepathy. It would be interesting to hear what their experiences were like.

None of the physiological senses or culture matter, the language of emotion, thoughts, visuals, sound, smell, is universal.

Visuals vary greatly between cultures here on our own planet. Even in an isolated society it's difficult to develop visuals that are unanimously recognized. There is a whole field of study related to it (Human Factors?). Our most recognizable symbols (Mens & Ladies restroom) require a certain level of knowledge about the demographic region they represent. It would be nearly impossible to make symbols such as that universal.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by cabotage]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
For those that claim to experience telepathic communications, what is the range of this communication method? Do the sender and receiver have to be near each other for the communication to be "heard"? Is it a directed method of communication (private person to person), or can anyone in the area "hear" the transmission (such as normal talking)?

Your larynx can only achieve a certain volume, which ultimately limits how far you can communicate via speech alone. What is the limiting factor for telepathy?

We think of telepathy as this amazing sci-fi phenomenon. To a race that never developed an audible speech capability, the fact that humans are able to talk may seem like some miraculous ability that they aspire to one day achieve. Bats navigate using a high frequency sound that is well above our hearing range. If an intelligent species was able to communicate using the same method as bats, we might call that "telepathy" since it is a transfer of information without any readily observable medium. No one has ever been able to scientifically analyze a reliable telepathic session (if such a thing even exists), so the mechanism is still unknown.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cabotage

For instance, if a blind man dreams he can still see visuals.

I highly doubt that someone who was born blind has anything similar to the "visuals" a seeing person would have. They may experience patterns of color or light, and may even be able to visualize shapes (based on having analyzed those shapes with their hands) but I don't think they experience the same types of cinematics that we do when we dreams

You are confusing the brain with the mind. The brain is nothing more than the hardware the software(mind) runs on. The soul, by it's very nature, has already experienced all there is. In OBE, when the soul leaves the body, it has a much more enhanced vision, and it can see 360 degrees. People who have had OBES can attest to that.

There is actually a blind person, not fully blind, but blind on one side of his eyes, which has been verified by scientists, yet he could still see from his blind side. In laboratory conditions, they put this person in a chair, wired to some monitoring equipment, and completely covered his functional eye and in front of him on a monitor, they had a computer generated line that would either go from left to right, right to left, top to bottom, horizontally or vertically across the screen. The blind had to say which direction it was going in by saying: up, down, left or right. He got it right everysingle time.

The scientists thus proposed that he had a secondary vision, though could not locate it. Where it is located, is in the "third eye" that is nucleus of the mind, the seat of the soul, where all commands are generated.

This is also why blind people's perception become very acute. Even though they cannot physically see, they still can navigate, recognize objects, and manipulate objects. This is generally attributed to a perk in the other physical senses, which is not fully true, while all senses are coming into play, in the end the sum of all senses, does not account for the final result; a gestalt.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Too much speculation on all sides regarding telepathy.

It ends up in the way as "describe the color blue" anyway.

[edit on 22-10-2004 by merka]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Mathematics is just another language, and it is by no means universal. Math is literally defined by its constraints, constraints imposed by those who create it.

Not all aliens have the same senses we do. They may, in fact, have none of them in common with us.

To think that an alien would see what we call �visible light� as we do, or at all, is an unsupported assumption. Many, in fact most living things on this planet have nothing even close to our quality of eyesight.

Not all aliens think like we do. Our minds are heavily, but not entirely, organized around our senses, physiology, anatomy and experiences which are unique to this world.

To assume that thoughts are somehow the same from one race to another is to assume something that is very unlikely to be true. Thus even if you can connect telepathically, it's unlikely you could understand one another anyway.

As far as I can tell, the most common form of communication between aliens, as with all dissimilar forms of life, is to attack one another.

In other words, the least common denominator really is the least common denominator.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Translator microbes (implants)
If they are smart enough to travel the far reaches of outer space i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to create an implant that would do the job of translation for the individual. Why do abductees report they have implants in their body? I think the sci-fi show farscape got it right by using the translator microbes which allowed the different species of aliens to communicate with one another regardless of their alphabet/language

All that other stuff is too complicated/how are you going to use telepathy to communicate your language to a race that speaks a different language efficiently. We have field translators...pretty basic compared to what is described above

I always found it funny in SG1 how everyone speaks english everywhere they go....kinda unrealistic even though I know I am supposed to be using my imagination anyways while watching shows like this.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
one word... charades

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join