It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey town to Ala. volunteer utility crew: Don't help with Sandy unless you're unionized

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er
true or not.

i double down.

Of course you do.

People like you are never bothered by what's true or not.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeone718
reply to post by TXRabbit

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

That is a lie! Without my union, I would have no health insurance, no retirement, no recourse if hurt on the job and at the mercy of the production companies. It's the greedy production companies that are the gangster scumbags that will use every resource not to pay the people that actually do the work.

Union and proud of it....www.sagaftra.org...

Actually this whole thread is a lie and meant to discredit anyone that questions Romneys status as a diety.

edit on 2-11-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Nov 2 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
here is what you union hacks are willingly paying for.
progressive labor to overthrow capitalism and install communism.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It doesn't say the story is false. It states the Alabama crew stated it was the union that told them they couldn't perform work.

So two workers of one Decatur crew, and then a second Decatur crew are lying?

Really?

The union crews told them they could not work there because they weren't union.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother
reply to post by bjax9er

I'd point out the stupidity and dishonesty of your post, but we all know you don't care if it's true... or apparently if it's mind-numbingly stupid.

your right, i don't care if a marxist thinks i'am, or my post is stupid.

that marxist and all unions can go to hell.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
video (from FoxNews) of an interview with a General Manager of Decatur Utilities. Interesting facts from the source - funny to watch the anchor try to sensationalize it more

Crewman blame union for blocking Sandy relief efforts

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bickering stops NOW!!!!
Rude and nasty comments will cease.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

You are responsible for your own posts.

And STAY ON TOPIC.

There will be consequences for those who fail to heed this reminder.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
Without my union, I would have no health insurance, no retirement, no recourse if hurt on the job and at the mercy of the production companies.

I dunno' about that. The machine shop people at my husbands company in Philly are non-union. They get all of the above that you say you don't get. Are you sure you wouldn't get those without the union .. or is the union just telling you that so they can keep getting union dues from you???

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
No surprise there..........Unions dont like people coming in and encroaching on their Davis Bacon.......

When I was doing overhead line work we use to contract Union jobs in the midwest.......

The guys were total dirtbags to us, and we always had some union guy trying to come in and recruit our guys....

We had to hide our poles to keep them from coming and cutting them up into 4 foot long chunks, we figured this out after leaving a stack in a yard only to find em after the weekend cut up......

At the end of the job......some trucks and equipment went missing.......

They found em in a canyon burned up..........gotta get that insurance money........

They are crooked as hell and they dont care about the people man, they care about their benefits and pay......the rest is just a casualty

edit on 2-11-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Reminds me of an old story. An old man was out in his boat fishing. His boat capsized and left him out in the open sea hanging onto some wood. He prayed for god to help him. Pretty soon a boat came by and saw him. He refused their help. He said: God will help me!. Two more boats came along over time and he refused their help. Saying: God will help me! Eventually he drowned. He got to heaven and when he saw God he asked: Why did you not help me Lord? God said: I sent you three boats dumbass!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

That is a lie! Without my union, I would have no health insurance, no retirement, no recourse if hurt on the job and at the mercy of the production companies. It's the greedy production companies that are the gangster scumbags that will use every resource not to pay the people that actually do the work.

Actually this whole thread is a lie and meant to discredit anyone that questions Romneys status as a diety.

Sorry buddy but i know enough people in unions to know better. They have to secretly work a second job in most cases to stay afloat. Union dues are a shakedown.

Staff...thanks for deleting my post, all i did was tell it how it is. Governor christie was on not too long ago, the question was brought to him about unions turning a crew from alabama away, apparently there was some truth to it, and my deleted reply. Thanks again.

Edit: ill also add, txrabbit, that any proper job gives benefits and security.
edit on 2-11-2012 by mikeone718 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Thats odd, I dont knwo anyone that works for a union and every single one of them have a retirement and medical through their companies....

To make it sound like the only way to get all that is through a Union is a bit ludacris to me......

And its not a Lie.......A friend of ours here in Texas went up to do some work in the area and their crew was turned away by the unions as well.......so ....they went to a dif state.....

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Without my union, I would have no health insurance, no retirement, no recourse if hurt on the job and at the mercy of the production companies.

I dunno' about that. The machine shop people at my husbands company in Philly are non-union. They get all of the above that you say you don't get. Are you sure you wouldn't get those without the union .. or is the union just telling you that so they can keep getting union dues from you???

The entertainment industry works differently than corporate entities. Basically all below the line and most of above the line talent are contract workers; part timers until the production [movie, TV] is finished. Very few of us are hired by the big studios. Most productions are one off.
Our unions www.sagaftra.org... or www.iatse-intl.org... protect us from fraudulent productions.
I don't regret paying my union dues in the least. I waited nine years once to get paid but without the union I would have never gotten paid.

Contrary to conservative belief; there is a place in America for unions. Just ask the people that lost their IRAs, health plans and retirement funds when the companies they worked for went belly up.

btw.......Clint Eastwood and Ronald Reagan are/were SAG/AFTRA union people.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

The entertainment industry works differently than corporate entities.

Ahhhh okay. I don't know anything about those unions. Most everyone I know here are machine shop types who dodge the unions because it's just a shakedown for $$$ and they don't provide anything that the companies wouldn't provide anyways. Thanks for answering ...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er

Originally posted by longlostbrother
reply to post by bjax9er

I'd point out the stupidity and dishonesty of your post, but we all know you don't care if it's true... or apparently if it's mind-numbingly stupid.

your right, i don't care if a marxist thinks i'am, or my post is stupid.

that marxist and all unions can go to hell.

The fact that you equate Marxism and unions shows just what you know about both of them - nothing...

I'm not a Marxist, union members aren't Marxists, in fact you'd be hard pressed to fill a room with the all the actual Marxists in America...

Telling unions and Marxists to go to hell is wildly offensive, to union members at least... and that's thousands of Americans... I'm not sure you could identify what a Marxist believes... but sure, like you said, you don't have to know if something is true to believe it... I know... we all know...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Zaanny

Not to be a wet blanket, but New Jersey is a state, not a city.
(although I know what you mean, couldn't help but poke fun).

Here's my stance:

If they only want union help, then by all means, go home. But I do not want to see a penny of federal aid that would help overcome the union obstinance.

They are already putting up news shows on national TV about "unlicensed" contractors and the dangers. While I know there are crooks that make the rounds, what this typically equates to is "nonunion" as a union card is required (from the way I understand it) to get said license.

And herein the problem lies you need a license in that state to do electric work regardless whether union was involved or not. You need to pass the state tests (I honestly don't think Unions have a nickle to do with who can take a state test and pass it as my old man never belonged to a union and had a NJ contractor's license.) No matter where you go, though, the state license is a must. So they'd really have to be in state to work there at the clean up and for good cause there is a lot that can go very badly very fast when messing with electric.It's what I know to be true. A thousand volts will kill you, on highpower lines it's a risk and the paid workers would be responsible for the injuries or anything else suffered by volunteers. Just saying...been helping down here with my old man's job and it is electrical work, so I know what i am talking about.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

I have to say, feeling outrage at the people responsible for the specific balls up that this thread refers to is utterly fair.

To the person who is lumping marxists and unionists together in a negative light, I have this to say. There is no reason to generalise, because apart from anything else the willingness for a person to generalise and lump a whole huge group of people together and hate them all, regardless of thier individual merits is something that we really need to erase from the planet. Its thinking like that which allowed Hitler to rise, and half bugger the entirety of Europe, so we will have less of that thank you very much.

Unions are essential in any healthy economy, to prevent workers from being screwed over by big companies, which they constantly are where no union representation is present. My own nation has, in my veiw suffered greatly since the teeth of the unions have been blunted. The closure of all our major manufacturing centres would never have been allowed to happen if the unions in my nation had not been so thoroughly destroyed by Thatcher and the Tory party over the last few decades. We now make next to sod all in my nation, simply because the unions which do exist here are so utterly pathetic that they cannot weild power enough to protect jobs and indeed the factories themselves.

And, where Marx himself is concerned,people are fond of forgetting, in bouts of ignorant commie hating, that Marx, whatever negative connotation one might choose to attach to him, was interested in equality and fairness. The fact that his ideals were twisted by Lenin and Stalin, into some bloody awful violent parody of themselves was not his fault. To anyone who thinks otherwise, I recommend they look it up, see for yourselves!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

reply to post by Zaanny

Here's my stance:

If they only want union help, then by all means, go home. But I do not want to see a penny of federal aid that would help overcome the union obstinance.

They are already putting up news shows on national TV about "unlicensed" contractors and the dangers. While I know there are crooks that make the rounds, what this typically equates to is "nonunion" as a union card is required (from the way I understand it) to get said license.

And herein the problem lies you need a license in that state to do electric work regardless whether union was involved or not. You need to pass the state tests (I honestly don't think Unions have a nickle to do with who can take a state test and pass it as my old man never belonged to a union and had a NJ contractor's license.) No matter where you go, though, the state license is a must. So they'd really have to be in state to work there at the clean up and for good cause there is a lot that can go very badly very fast when messing with electric.It's what I know to be true. A thousand volts will kill you, on highpower lines it's a risk and the paid workers would be responsible for the injuries or anything else suffered by volunteers. Just saying...been helping down here with my old man's job and it is electrical work, so I know what i am talking about.

Wrong you dont have to be licensed in the state to perform line work.......journeyman lineman are not electricians in the capacity that electricians have to be licensed in that state....

This happens with every disaster, states bring in contractors and companies from other states to aid in the relief effort.......

No offense....but again......its not the same kind of work

this is nothing but the union throwing its weight around..........id love to see the reaction from the people of the area when they find out its because of the Unions its taking so long to get them back up and running again......

I know this because i did plenty of it...(not anymore of course).....my family has been involved in this work for over 30 years......My father, myself and my brother were all linemen at one time.....

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Originally posted by ldyserenity

reply to post by Zaanny

Here's my stance:

Wrong you dont have to be licensed in the state to perform line work.......journeyman lineman are not electricians in the capacity that electricians have to be licensed in that state....

This happens with every disaster, states bring in contractors and companies from other states to aid in the relief effort.......

No offense....but again......its not the same kind of work

this is nothing but the union throwing its weight around..........id love to see the reaction from the people of the area when they find out its because of the Unions its taking so long to get them back up and running again......

I know this because i did plenty of it...(not anymore of course).....my family has been involved in this work for over 30 years......My father, myself and my brother were all linemen at one time.....

If you READ the thread you'll see the unions DIDN'T stop anyone from working.

That's just right-wing propaganda.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join