It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey town to Ala. volunteer utility crew: Don't help with Sandy unless you're unionized

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

New Jersey town to Ala. volunteer utility crew: Don't help with Sandy unless you're unionized

news.yahoo.com

Utility crews from several states East of the Mississippi River hit the road this week to volunteer their time and talents in Northeastern states hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. But crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn’t lend a hand without a union card.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I thought I'd seen it all but this comes close to taking the cake. To summarize the story, volunteer utility workers from outside states have arrived to the NJ coast to help with the cleanup and repair efforts. Some of them were asked to help - others just went because it was the right thing to do. After arriving or attempting to coordinate efforts, they were basically told "if you're not part of the union, we don't need no stinkin help".
Isn't our society polarized enough by politics, religion and social dogma? Do we really need this type of response when there was absolutely Nothing but the best of intentions presented by the volunteers?

news.yahoo.com

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

In the Northeast Unions equal organized crime, it's a shame. They have had several crews from Florida rejected also but they went to VA to help.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Wow, with all the destruction, millions without power, the looting and the first words out of their mouths are "Show me your union card", lol.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hope folks didn't really buy into that crap about labor unions being there for the benefit of the workers. Yes, there was a time when they were needed, today it's just a racket IMO. Federal and State regulations and a healthy and competitive job market should have ended the need for them a long time ago.
Can you imagine sitting in six feet of sewage and sea water for a week watching them turn help away because they aren't in the club?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
NYC and NJ are BIG union citys..

If your not a union contractor or affiliated with one....

Your truck and maybe you may go missing.

edit on 2-11-2012 by Zaanny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I was watching the BBC news earlier, and saw reports that some are not as happy with the response to the effects of the superstorm designated "Sandy", as they could be. A woman standing in the street telling the official she was speaking to, and of course the camera, that she was responsible for a few dozen OAPs, who need heat, and will freeze without it. Another complaining that she cannot begin to clear up her broken home, without power or effective generators being provided.

I say to these people, it is obvious who you need to speak to. It is obvious where your ire must be aimed. Do not aim it at your government, your police force, your local council, or your local volunteer force. Aim your complaints at those unions which are preventing professional utility installers from turning up, and doing what needs to be done to replace damaged powerlines, phone lines, water and gas mains, fixing broken stretches of your roads.

I am not saying drop the hammer on the unions in general, but I am saying if you want your homes and towns bought back from the brink of total destruction, then make sure those unions which are operating support schemes in your area, are doing so with YOU in mind, and not thier thrice damned pride, or indeed thier greed.

To members in the area, I would say do your research, and make sure that your friends and neighbors know the score on this issue. With power and comms down over large swathes of the affected region, it is important that those who have access to this information, distribute it to everyone who ought to have it. Compile dossiers, print pamphlets, get the damned word out, and prevent this abomination from slowing the progress of the clean up effort.

link   
reply to post by Zaanny

Not to be a wet blanket, but New Jersey is a state, not a city.
(although I know what you mean, couldn't help but poke fun).

Here's my stance:

If they only want union help, then by all means, go home. But I do not want to see a penny of federal aid that would help overcome the union obstinance.

They are already putting up news shows on national TV about "unlicensed" contractors and the dangers. While I know there are crooks that make the rounds, what this typically equates to is "nonunion" as a union card is required (from the way I understand it) to get said license.

link   
Doesn't surprise me at all. Unions have become the biggest joke. Out for the money they bleed out of the members, yet doing nothing for them anymore.

"Oh, you want to volunteer your time? We will make no money off you? To heck with the people, go home!"

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
READ THE UPDATE!!

dailycaller.com...

This is false info. Someone is just. Starting trouble. It is all over FB also.

Also if you have FB, www.facebook.com...
edit on 2-11-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm sure Mr obama is so proud of this union towing the line (or not letting non-union companies restore the power).
www.jacksonlewis.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

news.yahoo.com

Utility crews from several states East of the Mississippi River hit the road this week to volunteer their time and talents in Northeastern states hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. But crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn’t lend a hand without a union card.

PLEASE do a five minute google search before posting this crap.

The yahoo story is actually from the Daily Caller:

Founded by conservative commentator Tucker Carlson and Neil Patel, former adviser to former Vice President Dick Cheney,

en.wikipedia.org...

Should I go ahead and post the link that shows this is just a bunch of right-wing propaganda... or should I let you find it yourself?? Decisions...

Hardin said the crews were not turned away but were made to believe that affiliating with the union was a requirement to work.

"It was and remains our understanding that agreeing to those requirements was a condition of being allowed to work in those areas," said Hardin

"At this stage, it is not clear who is alleged to have turned the crew away and the company that employs the affected workers has denied the claim. IBEW local leaders in New Jersey have reiterated what has been the long standing record of our union –in times of crisis all help is welcome and we pull together with everyone to meet the needs of the public. We have communicated this to the office of New Jersey Governor Christie as well," said IBEW President Ed Hill.

www.waff.com...

Of course to the right wing noise machine this typical left-wing union bureaucracy run amok.... until they realise it's NOT actually that, but still frame it like that and run it anyway... then it's just BS propaganda...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Yep, it's false. I'm so sick of FB spreading rumors through this ordeal! Affected NJ resident here... the crews ARE trying and NO ONE is saying no to help.

Huntsville, Joe Wheeler utilities deny claims of union discrimination during Sandy response (update)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

hey - thanks for attacking me for posting a story I didn't write. I guess if you were half the internet-hero you think you are you'd actually try replying to the author of the article - or do I need to do that for you?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
So this thread, this debunked right-wing propaganda, results in numerous people attacking Democrats for their imaginary transgressions...

How can anyone reason with people that don't check facts, that simply attack people based on lies?

Honestly, the mods should come into this thread with the ban hammer and clean out out all the jerks.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
From Alabama Power:

A Note About New Jersey

We've seen a number of news reports about electric line crews that are being turned away in the state of New Jersey, on the grounds that the crews are non-union.
Rest assured, our Alabama Power crews have not been turned away from anywhere. Our employees are proudly representing us in several states that have been affected, and have received a warm reception everywhere they've been.

From a right-wing blog:

Unions sent workers home, because they weren't in a union.

From many on ATS:

# Democrats and unions

Who's really the bad guys here?

alabamapowernews.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
reply to post by longlostbrother

hey - thanks for attacking me for posting a story I didn't write. I guess if you were half the internet-hero you think you are you'd actually try replying to the author of the article - or do I need to do that for you?

You want a medal for posting debunked right-wing propaganda?

Learn to do some research before posting stuff or expect people to hold you accountable when you post partisan lies.

And btw., I assume that to you "internet warrior" in anyone that knows how to do a basic google search?
edit on 2-11-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
true or not.

i double down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join