It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets say the SHTF - how long should you plan for? and what should you store prior to SHTF ... etc...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
We were talking halloween night about NWO, Agenda 21, Hurricane Sandy and Katrina and you know where that lead - To this banker take over conspiracy stuff...

I stood on the side - history says is what happens and no matter what you prepare for, it will be longer or something else does you in. I mean Argentina, Zimbawe, Russia and heck you can even look at the grapes of wrath for some insight. Food seems to be the number one problem. and Russia went through like 5 years of empty shelves, and Zimbawe is still hungry,
Argentina seems to be more of a currency - political agenda - I summized that we are also like Argentina. Its a systemic reorganization caused intentionally. so if its intentional you have to know what the agenda is so you can prepare - right ?
A National Guard out of Texas said the National Guard was going to control the distribution of Gasoline, and would Guard Grocery Stores... and I think he said they would do check points as well... now thats just one agency - we also have Marines, TSA, Sheriffs, Police and tons of other agencies who reported purchases of large quantity of ammuntion to worry about as well. lets just say they take away everything - and close the place down - how long could you last ? Society is a Society of systems providing goods and services that are needed to have the society function as a society. and any system you subscribe too - you become a slave to that system no matter what system it is. and if you prepare and have what is needed - how long could you provide it before you yourself runs out ? - would you share ? that reduces your reserves...

I think we came to the conclusion that this is a perfect storm - coming and no matter what action you take to protect yourself from it - your preparations only seperates you from or delays your expiration but the end result is - we believe life will become extremely cheap.. and we were undecided on exactly what the agenda is .... we basically, determined that this is could be an extenction level event and it could last the better part of a century - we got stuck on Japan and how its almost 30 years into this stuff... and we are only 10 years into it.
so what do you think we should plan for ? and what should you concentrate on to delay this extenction agenda. "We will not go quitely into the night" kept coming up .... thats how my halloween went -- really spooky

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
if you plan for the worst, you'll be ready for the worst. We prep like we're going to have to rebuild society. We prep like we'll never be able to go to a supermarket again. That should awnser your question.
edit on 2-11-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Look, in any city you're in trouble. There is a limited supply of resources, and there are more mouths to feed. If you happen to have a situation previously mentioned where someone is in control of those resources, you're in more trouble.

The thing I always think of with city limit prepers, is what are you going to do when your neighbours come knocking, their neighbours, and so on. You could say yes, or no. In a situation where you have resources and no one else does, you're in danger. You would have to offer up pretty much all of your stash and convince them you have nothing more to keep them from storming and taking what you have by violent means. Because let's face it, the easiest survival skill is stealing from someone else.

Inside a city you run into other problems. When you run out of food, whether it be what you've stored, or what you can find what now? Wild life in a city is usually pests, and if there is no food around they will leave and depending on the crisis necessary to be prepared they could be long gone. Animals tend to leave before natural disasters strike. Man made disasters would likely kill, or drive them out as well. Sprawling city scapes don't make good hunting grounds. Then there comes the issue of drinkable water. Most prepers are preparing for no food or energy. No energy, whether it be man made or natural causes all sorts of trouble in a city. Sewers back up, plumbing doesn't run water to any near by man made source, and it's likely the nearest natural source will become contaminated with the dead or sewage which if you drink this water will lead to dysentery which will likely kill you or your family members with out necessary means to fight off the infection.

Really, the best prep is get yourself out of the city with basic needs. An axe, a reusable source to create fire, and some handy survival knowledge of wild edibles and skills/tools to hunt.

I don't think any amount of prepping aside from finding long standing natural sources and skills for survival will aid anyone for long the long term. It just can't be done, unless you're willing and able to put in the work after the fact.

Short term you want food, water, medicine and some fuel, source of fire. Whether this be wood, propane, charcoal it's up to you. I'm simply being realistic. These extreme prepers gathering ammo, mass stores of food and medicine are setting themselves up. If the disaster destroys what you have, what then? If the disaster is long term, do you think you're safe with 100's or thousands of others looking for resources? Unless you've prepared for providing survivors with supplies and shelter as well, you're only making yourself a target for desperate individuals. You will run out of bullets eventually, and is it worth it to risk your own injury in fight to keep your family safe? You may have guns, bullets, bows, knives, swords hell maybe you have claymore mines, but someone else can just as easily have weapons, and come after what you have.

I see prepers usually, families arming up and stockpiling supplies, but what is the size of an average family? Can an average family fend off unknown numbers of individuals who likely have weapons and can use them just as well, maybe even better ? What about the fact you mentioned earlier, if national guardsmen, marines, police or what have you are appointed to control gas, food, etc would they not try to take you down for what you have hoarded being that they are now in control of the very resources you're sitting on? Difference being they are trained and equipped to deal with armed individuals in combat.

Best bug out gear in my eyes is as I've mentioned earlier, axe, saw, knife reusable fire starter, tools and skills for hunting, finding wild edibles, knowing where long term sources of fresh water and food can be found. Something to provide shelter, whether this is tarps and ground mats, or the knowledge to build shelter for the weather.

I guess the best of all of this is getting into good physical shape before hand. Mentally with the skills needed, and physically to apply them. Walking, running, physical labour and problem solving skills will be your best tools for survival. No gun, stash of non-perishable food, or mass of ammunition will do you better.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

So you have enough diesel, concrete, re-bar, wood, generators, and machinery to rebuild homes, and infrastructure?

How do you keep your perishables good for more than a week(veggies), 24hrs for meat/dairy unrefrigerated.

Now I'm aware, you can dry veggies and meat but dried meat is really high in sodium, and if it's all you eat hard on the ole body. What about fresh water? You will need it for dried goods, and drinking. How much is enough, if say you're fending for yourselves until death.

Do you possess the skills, and physical capacity to take care of yourself and family? Are you prepared to have to move location due to disaster, or violent threat?

Are you located near potential hunting/foraging grounds? If you're in city limits, not likely anything useful beyond a couple months. Think about it, if you and everyone else has to hunt, how much will be around in a week? A month? 6 months?

Not to mention, how many inexperienced individuals will be trying the same thing potentially scaring off prey?

Are you aware of any potential sources of contamination for nearby water sources? Factories, farms, sewage lines, the dead, damages oil, fuel, or other contaminant sources caused by a disaster requiring "Prepping"

Are you really as prepared as you think? Are you in your best possible physical and mental health for your age? What about your family? Do you or any of your family know the necessary skills to survive with nothing? Chances are you will run out of supplies at one point, what then?

In the days before you run out of supplies are you prepared to turn away starving men, women, children and elderly so they can't inform anyone else about your stash? Are you prepared to kill these individuals when they come for your stash? Are you prepared to lose someone in your family to injury, starvation, illness given you are incapable of providing them the care and resources they need? Number one killers of individuals in survival situations, Starvation, exposure to the elements, injury, infection. It's bound you will run across some or all of these things in your fight to survive.

Who can you trust? How can you not trust others with our needs for socialization and cooperation for some tasks?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I have an easy 5 days if it looks bigger and longer I'll be gone. Something like Sandy a week or 2 no problem. Something major I'm headed to the cave.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

Cave as in wilderness? Or cave as in a bunker? I really don't see the point of a bunker, same issues as before. Any time you set up long term for one place you run into issues. If we are out for long term survival, we need one of two things. To set up a small community, or to revert back to hunter/gatherers following the food. The issues being each other. We are freaking crazy when we are desperate.

As well, depending on the disaster, how do you know "your cave" is safe?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
it would be nice to have a years worth of storable food, if you have the means to sustain renewable food that would be fantastic as well, this of coarse isnt anything someone hasnt already covered before but AMMO AMMO AMMO youve gottta have protection, in the worst case scenario, you have nothing but your protection and ammo, you can barter ammo, you can defend yourself and make your way into a cultural center where you can get some can goods or whatever but feel confident during the chaos that you have a fail safe to rely on, its not good to loot and riot and steal, but in a situation like that it may end up being necessary, just look at sandy, people didnt prep food and theyre screwed, at the very least i believe in 3 months of food, ration out your typical meals from 3 months and you may make it a year living off your stock and the land around you...just my 2 cents

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Fear is the implement of control when the population are not informed of impending disaster - when the population are not informed of impending war, it is clear that the population is being prepared for slavery.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
reply to post by camaro68ss

So you have enough diesel, concrete, re-bar, wood, generators, and machinery to rebuild homes, and infrastructure?

How do you keep your perishables good for more than a week(veggies), 24hrs for meat/dairy unrefrigerated.

Now I'm aware, you can dry veggies and meat but dried meat is really high in sodium, and if it's all you eat hard on the ole body. What about fresh water? You will need it for dried goods, and drinking. How much is enough, if say you're fending for yourselves until death.

Do you possess the skills, and physical capacity to take care of yourself and family? Are you prepared to have to move location due to disaster, or violent threat?

Are you located near potential hunting/foraging grounds? If you're in city limits, not likely anything useful beyond a couple months. Think about it, if you and everyone else has to hunt, how much will be around in a week? A month? 6 months?

Not to mention, how many inexperienced individuals will be trying the same thing potentially scaring off prey?

Are you aware of any potential sources of contamination for nearby water sources? Factories, farms, sewage lines, the dead, damages oil, fuel, or other contaminant sources caused by a disaster requiring "Prepping"

Are you really as prepared as you think? Are you in your best possible physical and mental health for your age? What about your family? Do you or any of your family know the necessary skills to survive with nothing? Chances are you will run out of supplies at one point, what then?

In the days before you run out of supplies are you prepared to turn away starving men, women, children and elderly so they can't inform anyone else about your stash? Are you prepared to kill these individuals when they come for your stash? Are you prepared to lose someone in your family to injury, starvation, illness given you are incapable of providing them the care and resources they need? Number one killers of individuals in survival situations, Starvation, exposure to the elements, injury, infection. It's bound you will run across some or all of these things in your fight to survive.

Who can you trust? How can you not trust others with our needs for socialization and cooperation for some tasks?

I would really love to tell you what we have but now a days its not wise. Trust me, everything you have asked is covered, all i can say is we are starting to live off grid on a ranch in the mountains and can grow, slaughter our own food. We have rivers, pounds, and springs full of freash water and fish. Plus lots of renewable power and means to defend ourselves if need be

all you need to do is get in the 1910's mind set and how they did things. all your questions will then be awnsered.
edit on 6-11-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

another thing i must add is books, we have 300-400 how to books on anything and everything. These books will be key in rebuilding after SHTF
edit on 6-11-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join