It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Scam, Beware

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Question is....how did they get you number in the first place?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

Thanks for the link! I got a good laugh out of some of those scambaits. One guy had a bait going for 6 years!
Hilarious!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

I love those scam calls! Shame i no longer live at a place with a land line.... I think my record for keeping them on their toes is a full 95 mins before i got bored! i even had them ring me back 4 times just for giggles..... The best answer i ever had from one of those lovely people is that one of my windows is "open" i asked which window in my house the one in the bathroom? which he replied yes so i said i thought it was chilly thanks for telling me that i will go shut it and put the phone down XD.

I am no idiot when it comes to computers but no geek, i fix a lot of my own virus issues, usually sitting up for 9 hours googling the solutions.... but when they asked me to use teamviewer i about died laughing =]

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I received a call early one Saturday morning from my bank, warning me of a possible fraud on my debit card. Being the smart cookie I am, I told the woman I would not be providing her with any information regarding my account! If she found a fraud on the account, she should be telling ME what my social security number is! She says that's fine, when you hang up dial the 1-800 number on the back of your bank card and you may discuss the issue with our fraud department via that number.

When I hung up, I researched the 1-866 number that she had called me from. Turns out a lot of people were getting calls like this from the number. About 50/50 reports on whether or not it was legit. Sketchy. When I called my bank directly they walked me through the odd transactions and got my card service restored. I am glad the called me at 8 a.m. On a Saturday to let me know, before I went out to use my card and was embarrassed. I would still do the same if it happened again!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I also received a call today which I'm almost 100% sure was a scam. It was some guy trying to get me to understand the importance of voting.
edit on 3-11-2012 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Ya as a cop we can't do much about it either..since stuff ends up back beyond our borders....honestly if anyone calls you that has a foreign accent and isn't one of your friends id be skeptical lol.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I usually get them regarding my computer having a virus etc, and concerning some lone or other. I just say I don't own a computer then they shy away.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Looks like we have the same guy! I felt obligated to comment when I read your post because I received a call from that phone number too. Said I owed them money and they're suing. It's either I pay them over the phone or have police officers visit me AT WORK and arrest me. Had I not known about this scam before, I might have panicked and gave the man what he wanted. But I knew better and hung up.
edit on 3-11-2012 by missstopes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
And guess what? I looked up the phone number and this page www.callercenter.com... came up along with several others. Apparently, this guy's been calling everybody else, too.

It's become a wonder why on earth was that scammer able to harass everybody with calls and not get caught?????

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Apparently it is a criminal extortion ring operating out of India.
Google the number. There is a lot of talk about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I was going to post the same link. I've been reading that site for a couple of years now, and the Trophy Room is beyond hilarious.

For those who have never checked it out, the Trophy Room is a collection of pictures of the scammers who have been scammed themselves by their "victims" into posing for and sending back some embarassing pictures, sometimes several times until the scammers get so frustrated that they don't care about the money anymore.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Question is....how did they get you number in the first place?

Perhaps since literally hundreds of thousands of western telco jobs have been outsoureced to India...hazard a guess?

Guys and Gals who listen patiently whilst you explain your Telco issue for ten minutes then ask you again if your phone /internet line is experiencing a fault...all with Indian accents.

Could they ever sell your details whilst they listen but not understnd a single word you have said?

nah .
edit on 5-11-2012 by Dr Expired because: amounts of outsourced western telco jobs

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join