It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Scam, Beware

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Got a phone call today on my cell phone. The man had an Eastern Indian accent and was difficult to understand. Eventually he got his point across, that my phone number was involved in some legal dispute and he needed me to verify my info.

I'm not a complete idiot, so I hung up and did a reverse phone search. After some research I discovered that this is a scam (surprise). Apparently its a very current scam, so I thought i'd post a warning here.

the number that called me was 617-603-0228

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thanks for the heads up!!

I always ask people requesting personal information for their home office phone number so I can speak with a supervisor regarding any personal information...

They will never give you a number to call if they are a scam......Even if so, call the number and ask for their credentials....

Don't ever give anyone your personal information over a phone call you aren't completely aware of!!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Linky to scammeronious people

I guess we know who needs those 400 extra large pepperoni pizzas now.

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ahhh man a legal issue involving my cellphone! right when i am in the middle of recieving a fortune from the King of Nigeria...What else could happen!?

Oh look, i have won the spanish national lottery...IAM RICH!.

Thanks for heads up. Flag and Bump

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I've gotten that one. I've also been getting similar calls that my bank card has been compromised, but they don't know my name or who my bank is. These idiots just never quit do they?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Definitely agree with you there, alot of "companies" call to ask for private information that dont make much sence...but to the unaware...it could lead to identity theft.

I got a call from..someone...a few weeks ago stating that I had won a trip for 4 on a cruise ship (all inclusive)....they were requesting my financial information (why since it should be free), of course I didn't give it to them. And when I asked him how I could possibly win a contest without ever signing up for it, he hung up the phone! What a shocker!
Unfortunately, it was an unknown number so i couldn't call back.

Thanks for sharing, it's important to make people aware of these scams.

link   
It sounds like these are the same people that keep calling people up telling them to pay debts that they don't really owe, or they will be arrested.

link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

You have a distant relative who just passed away in Sweden. The only problem is that there are some legal fees to attend to before you can recieve their estate valued at $5,000,000 If you would just send me a check for $5,329.99 we can get this ball rolling!

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I read an interesting article on these scams.

They are actually intelligently designed. They are so blatantly obvious, that the numbers of actual inquires the scammers receive are by those easily manipulated and tricked. Thus improving the scammers odds and efficiency with regards to the number of successful scam attempts.

Quite crazy actually and yes, i thought i sent you a cheque
When will i be receiving my funds

edit on 2-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
My simple solution to this:
If you don't recognize the number that is calling you, don't answer the phone.
If it's truly important, they will leave a message and you can call back if you choose.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

It just amazes me how people fall for crap like that. Do people really not remember who they may owe money to? If most people would step back and look at the big picture they would see how obvious it is. Then there's the gullible people. They are funny.

As for your dead relatives estate..... We never recieved funds. Time is ticking. You only have 2 more days to wire us the money or the estate will be gone forever!

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You should scambait them.

Play along, and make them work for your "money" (which you obviously wont really give them, but they don't know that...). By keeping them thinking you're going to fall for their scam, you waste their resources and hopefully prevent them from scamming people who would actually fall for it and pay them.

You can get some funny outcomes from that: Scambaiting
edit on 11/2/2012 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I've had similar attempts sent my way and so has my brother. These scammers are all over the place operating in various ways so everyone beware!

The sad thing is that they usually try and prey on the elderly and mentally ill

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
When people like this ring me, I'll say something like "can you just bare with me a minute please?" Then rest the phone on the table and carry on what I was doing. They don't usually call back again.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Well hopefully you will use your lottery winnings to help your friend that emailed you from Western Europe for you to wire funds because they had all their id, money, travelers checks, and credit cards stolen and are stuck and need money to get home.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I have an app on my phone that hits them with the "BROWN" tone when I hit the balloon knot icon. What a mess on the other end!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Most smart phones have an application you can get to block these kind of spam calls. I started getting one about a year ago and the blocking application has worked for me.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I received a similar call. The guy said that there had been reports coming to Microsoft from my comp. I asked him wth was he talking about he couldn't explain, further questioned him then just went off on him. He the hung up on me. Middle eastern also. It is truly amazing the scams out there. Next time I will keep them n longer and find out what the scam is.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Best solution I have seen to deal with calls that are unknown and possibly cammers is to hand the phone to my little kiddo and tell them it's santa claus calling for them.

Oddly enough, I never get a call back...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sd211212
I received a similar call. The guy said that there had been reports coming to Microsoft from my comp. I asked him wth was he talking about he couldn't explain, further questioned him then just went off on him. He the hung up on me. Middle eastern also. It is truly amazing the scams out there. Next time I will keep them n longer and find out what the scam is.

That's call the Ammyy scam I believe. They call you and try to get you to go into run and type their URL. This leads you to a page where they want you to download hacking software where they can get into your computer and do basically anything they want. Steal bank information, etc. Don't EVER fall for that one because it's one of the more serious ones out there. Kind of posting this tidbit of information down here for everyone else as well. Don't let anyone ever direct you to that webpage.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join