A compiled list of what We are learning from Sandy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by mikellmikell

That generator and tractor also generate noise, which could possibly attract unwanted attention.

If I was a refugee looking for shelter or food, I would head in the direction the noise is coming from. I'm a friendly guy so I would approach in the open with my hands at my side in full view.

But there are others who will sneak up on a place.

Back on topic, truthfully, I think only a small percentage of people will learn from this experiance. In a month or so, it will be life as usual, for most.

a well armed militia can keep the peace like no other, makes you wonder if they knew that already?

there will always be those who care not of others and are willing to do harm in order to TAKE care of themselves only. i think people are better at handling lawbreakers collectively verses a police force type mentality.

there are some 40,000 police officers in NYC and some 11 million people, in what delusional reality would one expect them to be able to handle unlawfulness in a crisis of this magnitude? none obviously so it stands to reason people must work together and get back to our roots and the state militia which guards against this happening.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

None of this is about survival, it is a survival thread disguised as another baseless rant at the government.

1) government officials cannot be trusted with helping the masses.

Give a specific example

2) people cannot be educated fast enough to avoid catastrophe

People were pretty well educated and the internet is full of internet sites on what to do. And guess what, catastrophes happen and there is nothing you can do about it.

3) business seems to be more important to the media and elected officials, than human life

Gives examples

4) our current infrastructure is outdated and cannot be relied upon to help, in a catastrophic situation

What infrastruture, how is it oudated, and how is it not helping?

5) future prediction here, we will see even more freedom and liberty evaporate during and in the aftermath of this situation, by the very people who were not there to help us during the crisis

Now you are just paranoid. What freedom and liberties have been curtailed?

seems getting the NYSE going again is far more important than saving lives to our elected officials.

Whose lives weren't being saved?
Last time I checked, it was up to rescue workers to save people, not elected officials.

Do your homework before going on stupid rants. The NYSE is up and running because the company that owns it, got backup generators.
Also, people not having jobs only adds up to the mounting costs of the storm. YOu need to get people back to work as soon as possible.

how far will the American people allow this to go and will most even realize the level of deception at all.

What deception? Who has been deceived and what have they been deceived about?

i cannot blame the people for not being more prepared simply because it's almost impossible in a city designed as NYC is. where do you put the generator when you live on the 30th floor? nowhere because it's not feasible and the government knew this, so why were these people not forced to leave? uncaring and poor planning probably describes it best.

People can get along quite fine without lights. Nowhere in the Constitution is it required that you have lighting.

You embarrass me. You sound like a spoiled American, the microwave generation, who thinks everyone should have what they need in 30 seconds.

There are 5 million people without power. It takes time.

where is all the food, water and medical supplies that should have been brought is for this disaster, it's nowhere because no one ordered any nor planned ahead in any way shape or form, you know the ones you pay your taxes to, they don't care about your well being.

Proof?

it's my hope that we can all help make changes to the judicial and legislative branches of our government because it's painfully obvious where they stand during such tragedy's and that's with their money bags.

What change is needed?

And no vague answers, especially if they are like your vague points.

the thread is here for educational proposes and i hope anyone with insight on the problem area's, as well as ideas on change would participate in the discussion. the time of complaining is over and now we must all learn something or face a possible situation like this in our own back yards.

When you provide viable information, I will educate you.
edit on 2-11-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by hououinkyouma

Yeah, its just Westerners. I guess we also stole everything in the 1 billion Yen of thefts within a week of the tsunami. I will forget the police reports concerning the donation bucket thefts, gas thefts, and etc too. Give me a break..

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

None of this is about survival, it is a survival thread disguised as another baseless rant at the government.

Do your homework before going on stupid rants. The NYSE is up and running because the company that owns it, got backup generators.
Also, people not having jobs only adds up to the mounting costs of the storm. YOu need to get people back to work as soon as possible.

When you provide viable information, I will educate you.
edit on 2-11-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

actually i think it is you on a rant, but i digress here's your examples.

1) why where people still in harms way and left in the danger zones? oh that's right the government didn't know any better.

2) how to educate people enough that they know they will be harmed if they stay, do you play video's to show them? you cannot change a persons paradigm from a new york city life style to a seasoned hurricane victim by words, print or hype, it just doesn't work that way.

show me examples where it does?

3) lets get that marathon started here, you know we need to have the great NYC marathon, just make sure the resources and manpower you pull from the residents dying, don't go noticed by many.

4) most of the NYC electrical, gas, water, telephone, transportation are well below sea level in a town that sits with feet of two major rivers and an ocean, i'm unsure why i have to spell that one out, but it could be lack of city engineering knowledge on your part.

5) you're asking me for proof of a future prediction? i have nothing to add except lol

"Do your homework before going on stupid rants. The NYSE is up and running because the company that owns it, got backup generators.
Also, people not having jobs only adds up to the mounting costs of the storm. YOu need to get people back to work as soon as possible."

yes the NYSE is up and running because they have backup generators to run the precious computers for the precious money. i don't suppose they could have used those generators for the hospital over flow though huh?

nah it's a capitalists mentality, dog eat dog remember? the haves and the have nots must be kept separate at all costs. /sarcasm

you're lack of knowledge is remarkable and just the reason i made this thread. i don't expect help from anyone and that's the whole point, people need to be responsible for their own well being and can accomplish that through working together at a local level.
edit on 2-11-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-11-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: trying to seperate quotes

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

I just cited that because you said it`s was a global society problem.

But coming back to the topic, people need to work to survive together sometimes. I don`t see any major problems with the government aid so far. Some people rely too much on the government, and a lot of those didn`t evacuate when it was asked.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma

I just cited that because you said it`s was a global society problem.

But coming back to the topic, people need to work to survive together sometimes. I don`t see any major problems with the government aid so far. Some people rely too much on the government, and a lot of those didn`t evacuate when it was asked.

with the fed govt. i think they are doing as well as can be expected but the local govt. in my OP is doing and has done a very poor job.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Well, about NYC I don`t think there`s much they could have done. The city is not that well prepared in case of natural disasters, maybe they can work on that now since these events probably will be much more frequent now.

Don`t get me wrong about the westerners-easternes post. I live in the two countries and love them both.

edit on 2-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Well, about NYC I don`t think there`s much they could have done. The city is not that well prepared in case of natural disasters, maybe they can work on that now since these events probably will be much more frequent now.

Don`t get me wrong about the westerners-easternes post. I live in the two countries and love them both.

edit on 2-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

it's all good and the whole point really of this thread is to help people realize we need to work together as citizens because currently, our local govt. is not going to be able to help us for various reasons.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Exactly that`s my point too. But it`s so hard to make most of the people unity end work together, even if it`s for a common good. I don`t know if they can learn that in a short time.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat

We have learned---
-people won't leave even when told to
-people won't stock up on enough food or water or fuel even when told to
-people will loot/steal if they think they can get away with it
-people will blame the government
-people will threaten/beat up/kill others to get what they want first
-people waiting in lines will become violent
-most people are stupid/ selfish, and impatient

People can't most don't have any place to go, have dependents, and often not enough money from paying extremely high rents. Many work having to make decisions between rent and food.

The advice given only applies to the well off and is useless for most people.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Exactly that`s my point too. But it`s so hard to make most of the people unity end work together, even if it`s for a common good. I don`t know if they can learn that in a short time.

they cannot learn that in a short time no, just as they should not have been expected to make a decision to stay or leave, because they have never experienced a disaster of this magnitude.

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by NotThat

We have learned---
-people won't leave even when told to
-people won't stock up on enough food or water or fuel even when told to
-people will loot/steal if they think they can get away with it
-people will blame the government
-people will threaten/beat up/kill others to get what they want first
-people waiting in lines will become violent
-most people are stupid/ selfish, and impatient

People can't most don't have any place to go, have dependents, and often not enough money from paying extremely high rents. Many work having to make decisions between rent and food.

The advice given only applies to the well off and is useless for most people.

i agree and that lends credence to my view that these people in harms way should have been forced to leave and i think only a small portion were in fact under forced evac. orders.

when you look at a very controlled city like NY, the obvious violations of human rights in the name of homeland security and local government, (think 20 oz soft drinks only) stop and frisk etc.. you wonder why they became scared little children when the lives of millions were involved.

in my OP the city should have been shut down to all traffic unless related to bringing in needed manpower, supplies and or getting people out. commerce should never be placed ahead of human life. yet the biggest thing i read on (the problems) is that they cannot get in to deliver anything in a timely manor.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

1) government officials cannot be trusted with helping the masses. Give a specific example

K-A-T-R-I-N-A

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

LBE, do you not want me in your threads? Seems the last few I try to get into and support you do not post to me.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive, but your friendship means something to me. Just be honest.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Every time I grocery shop I buy an extra item that does not cost more than a dollar. This can be a can of tuna, soup, or canned fruit (or vegetable) of some kind. This barely makes a dent in my grocery budget and I squirrel it away and out of sight. If the power were to go out like New York, I will have enough food to last me for weeks, provided I plan out the meals equally.

But none of this will do any good if I don't have a manual can opener. Make sure you have this important item, posters!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
i had typed out responses to several posts only to loose them by closing the wrong page.

Antar - i didn't respond mainly because i'm just missing things sometimes and from what you wrote it sounds like you know what needs to be done and are contributing to the solutions. i type like a Crane fishes btw

everyone is always welcome in my threads and i would have it no other way, that includes the hecklers.

Butcherboy- right on the money and i'm sure we could go right down the list. why is it still this way?

storms happen, even bad ones and people get hurt, that's called life and although it's hard to see and feel, we deal with it. what gets me is why are soooooo many people left to their own devices in an obviously dangerous situation, why do we allow this to happen.

texasgirl - good advise and one we should teach others when we can. having provisions in case of problems should be no different than having homeowners insurance, but as a society people like that are known as preppers, or terrorists and that boggles my mind.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
While it is very easy to be an armchair critic, we must look into REALITIES if we are to learn anything from this disaster.

Food, water, preparedness, etc had longed been prepared for normal storms, but most certainly not for a superstorm the size that Sandy was. It was once in a lifetime event, and fortunately, at leat many more lives had been saved by the earlier warnings from the met, govt, and social media.

i live in NJ and i have been through 3 once in a lifetime storms in the past 8 years , i was prepared for the worse and was lucky to get spared. people need to wake up and learn to take care of themselves. i feel for the peole who are suffering but we need to use this as a learning experience and be ready for the next once in a lifetime storm

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I learned not to stay in evacuee zones...from other idiots who decided to ignore the evacuation notices.

Darwinism at it's best.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Great idea for a post!
Here is my feed back to your recommendations.

1) government officials cannot be trusted with helping the masses.
2) people cannot be educated fast enough to avoid catastrophe
3) business seems to be more important to the media and elected officials, than human life
4) our current infrastructure is outdated and cannot be relied upon to help, in a catastrophic situation
5) future prediction here, we will see even more freedom and liberty evaporate during and in the aftermath of this situation, by the very people who were not there to help us during the crisis

1. Maybe 'trusting' is not the word I would have used. Perhaps 'not been have expected to' instead. Look at the meals for instance. Let's say we have 200,000 people in an area who need help, they are hungry. Given three meals a day, that is 600,000 meals. Let's say we hand out MRE's. Currently they are around $50 per case (low ball) of 12. That's 50,000 case per day at $2.5 Million per day. A case weighs around 17 pounds so every day would require hauling 425 tons of MRE's alone or roughly 22 semi-trucks full one way. That is a lot of resources tied up feeding people who were told to be ready themselves. They would probably complain about the MRE's anyway.

2. I believe people do not care to be educated. Education in anything takes effort and will. Scarce commodities now a days. Most feel if the CoE comes out to pile up some sand bags in front of their street they are safe. Sand stops water, right? Besides I have my iPhone fully charged which should last me deeply into any foreseeable catastrophe. I can just order pizza! Problem solved because it works everyday normally.

3. Yes they do and I agree. Regular people in harms way are little more than a means to trigger emotional cues on in the media.

4. The infrastructure is indeed dated but it was intended to function under optimal conditions. What we got during Sandy was not optimal. This what people build and use as far as homes (I know not typically considered infrastructure) are concerned:

This is what they probably need:

Most likely not going to happen. What happens with expensive, tax payer funded, bridges and roads? Lowest bidder. Besides, it's good for business to rebuild every few years.

5. I think the response to Sandy demonstrates what good a government could do. What we would expect from the various levels of government. Yet there are those who will use it as a stalking horse to further erode our liberties for their gain. Makes me queasy just thinking about it.

I would also add to your list the basic non-sustainability of humans in urban environments. Everything they need in big cities requires a lot of moving parts to function like clock work or the whole thing crashes. I offer it does not need to be that way, of course that is a whole 'nother thread

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
1. It doesn't matter HOW prepared you are - your house MIGHT just be that 1 out of 20 that gets turned to a pile of toothpicks.

2. Some looters are moraless opportunists who steal things that are unnecessary in a crisis, just because they think they can get away with it.

3. There's just not going to be much food in dumpsters after a storm like that - it's best to start out on a VERY long walk by foot if that's the only transport you have.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

It was emphasized over and over the possible magnitude and consequences of the storm. Shelters were opened.

No one seems to be giving credit for the severe and repeated warnings and the fast progress they have made getting stuff back together.

Website and Shelter Accessibility If you are having trouble accessing this site, please call 311. If you need to determine whether you are in Zone A, or where the closest evacuation/shelter centers are to your location, please call 311. Every shelter has an entrance usable by people who use wheelchairs. Staff at the shelter will assess your needs and if they cannot be met there all efforts will be taken to meet them elsewhere.

people on islands and near the beach knew what to expect.

They have done a quick job of getting stuff back if you read this whole page

All bridges and tunnels in the region are open, except for the Hugh Carey/Brooklyn-Battery, and the Queens-Midtown tunnels. The south tube of the Holland Tunnel is open for BUSES ONLY, this morning, in the eastbound direction.

www.nyc.gov...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join