It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning! New Domain Scam in the mail-pic of post card we received.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hello ATS,
If any of you own your own web site(s) then you will want to be on the lookout for this new scam in the mail. It basically is trying to get you to setup your Domain with their company and then pay them every year. There are many of these companies out there to be on the lookout for:

So don't go spending your money and get ripped off. I wonder what their legal terms are on this? I imagine it goes like this: You agree to give us all your profits, clothes, and everything else you own.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This particular web site domain in question is registered through Network Solutions and is good until August 2013. I feel like calling the company and making them believe I am going to send them a few thousand dollars.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

I would phone them,say you are house bound and try to get them to collect the cash.
Through in a few " I'm sick of the banks and only use cash now"
They won't be able to help themselves(unless they are in Nigeria)
Have a few good booby traps set up for them.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is a lot less common than it used to be--and a little harder for the scammers. There was a time, before domain registration could be locked, that they were known to transfer a domain and hold it for ransom.

It was also common to get a solicitation like this that looked like a bill (which this one sort-of does). Most people don't even know where their domain is registered, so they'd just pay it; the scammer would transfer the domain and start sending exorbitant bills to the owner. Happened to a lot of companies too, since the front office people usually don't know where the company's domain is registered. They'd just pay it without question; as often as not, no one would even notice the domain transfer until someone started questioning the unusually high amounts....

ETA: Check yearly to ensure that your domain is locked. It's still possible for your information to fall into the wrong hands and have your website defaced, transferred, or held hostage....
edit on 11/2/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This is an age old scam. Before the internet was happening I knew a guy that used a computer and a dot matrix printer to make and send thousands of bogus invoices to companies with more than 500 employees.

25% of the invoices had someone cal in to dispute. At which point they were easily dismissed as mistakes.
50% of the invoices went unpaid and they were never called at all.
25% of the invoices were paid without question.

This guy did this for four year and made several million dollars before he got caught and did six months in a Federal Prison. He now runs a tourism business in Mexico, something he could not have done without all the money he stashed from his printing business..........

Not good to rip people off for a living, they always get caught sooner or later.

top topics

join