It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY City .... The SHOW Must Go On !!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I listen to a radio show out of NY every day. Today when I got in the car and tuned in, the discussion was about the NY area and storm recovery.

What I heard next blew me away. Ny City has decided to go ahead with the running of the
NY CITY MARATHON !!

Yes you read that correctly, they're running the Marathon, even though, people have no homes, no electricity, food, gas, the list goes on and on.

This weekend's New York City Marathon will take place as scheduled despite widespread damage in the city from Superstorm Sandy, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Wednesday.

Bloomberg told reporters Wednesday afternoon that he expected most, if not all of the city, would have power restored by Sunday's race, and "an awful lot of small businesses" depend on the annual event.

"There are lots of people who have come here," he said. "It's a great event for New York, and I think for those who were lost, you've got to believe they would want us to have an economy and have a city go on for those that they left behind."

Source : CNN

What the heck are they thinking? Seriously... as mayor wouldn't your first and maybe only priority right now, to be getting people help who need it?

Other :

It's Really Bad Here in NY CT and NJ

POST SANDY: "People are turning on each other -- they're attacking each other"

Three days Since Sandy and New Yorkers are...dumpster diving for food?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Yes, life must move on, but this is absolutely ridiculous !

Will the National Guard, be handing out water for the runners too?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
yet another sign of an ever dwindling society where BS and money far outweigh human beings.

i would love to see new yorkers pull together and fix this mess while taking back their city from the obvious delusional government. they could easily vote with their hearts and say enough with this BS, we will run our own lives for a change.

when you look at how much freedom and money the new york officials take from the people and weigh how much they are now giving back, it soon becomes obvious they are not working for the people, just raping them of everything and smiling along the way.

i think we will all become NYC residents when the faux economy sinks into the abyss, so we should all be paying close attention to what takes place and how the residents are treated through this crisis, which currently is piss poor.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think the biggest problem is this.

There is a DISASTER occurring right now, in NYC ! The whole East Coast is a DISASTER !

Bloomberg has to be off his Meds, to want to have this thing ran !

link   
They should postpone it if possible or cancel it if they can't. New York is in no shape for it. New York police already have enough to deal with and now you want them to protect runners.

link   

Opie & Anthony??

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I certainly do not understand it. Sure, there is a time that things do need to move on to get back to normal but I do not think this is a good decision on Bloomberg's part. I heard this in connection with the marathon as well and this really kind of sent me over the edge.

As hundreds of thousands of Big Apple residents suffer in homes left without power by Hurricane Sandy, two massive generators are being run 24/7 in Central Park — to juice a media tent for Sunday’s New York City Marathon.

NY Post Source Article

The above it a supporting article for what I heard on the news this morning. This just astounds me.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TopherWayne

but of course...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I think they should close the whole place down and relocate it to one of the several empty cities in China. problem cured. Or quit whining and move forward!! Don't worry your government will take care of you the private sector has already moved on. Just sit down and wait Obama will be there soon.

Just watched a fat woman screaming there all going to die unless the government does something. They did do something they told you it was going to be bad so prepair and you probably turned the channel to station IDIOT!!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm hearing Glen Beck on the radio right now and he is pissed, sayin that Bloomberg can shove a 16 ounce drink up his ass. Really, he just screamed it twice!!

I guess it will be on google soon.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Not only do they appear to be ignoring the storm's impact, there are pulling resources.

A veteran police lieutenant noted the National Guard was distributing free food last night at several spots in lower Manhattan — while the administration keeps the marathon a priority.

“How can you run a marathon when you have people starving in Manhattan?” he asked.

Other sources said NYPD and Department of Transportation personnel who had been providing relief on Staten Island were told to drop what they were doing and report to Brooklyn today to get ready for the marathon.

Official race preparations yesterday included closing all lanes on the Staten Island-bound upper level of the Verrazano Bridge for more than an hour of work.

Staten Islander Joseph Masella, 62, called running the marathon “the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.”

“Have some respect for our citizens . . . They’re still finding bodies here,” he fumed.

Staten Island Councilman James Oddo said, “The notion of taking one cop, one first responder, one resource, one asset and diverting it so that they stand at a post to watch runners go by when we’re still searching for bodies? It’s sinful to me!’’
nypost.com

There is so much I want to say about this happening, but I am at a loss to express it while keeping within the T&Cs.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Are the running through the lower East side?????

Sandy-Starved New Yorkers Dumpster Dive

Bloomberg should be ashamed actually.

Frustrated Sandy Victims Beg for Supplies, Commuters Face More Headaches

This water isnt for the runners.........

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
I think they should close the whole place down and relocate it to one of the several empty cities in China. problem cured. Or quit whining and move forward!! Don't worry your government will take care of you the private sector has already moved on. Just sit down and wait Obama will be there soon.

Just watched a fat woman screaming there all going to die unless the government does something. They did do something they told you it was going to be bad so prepair and you probably turned the channel to station IDIOT!!

actually human nature has been understood fro many years so mandatory evacuations should have been in place for all these area's. those people should not even be there, but bloomberg thought of money first and that's why these people are there.

i don't care who you are, you will never be able to convince people to leave for a storm they have never encountered before. there is simply no time to educate or teach this to people, you must force them to leave, but bloomberg didn't, he didn't want to spend the money and this latest negligence of people is obvious.

bloomberg should not only be fired, he should be in jail for letting millions of people in harms way.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Hell yeah. Did you hear Op say that some dude on Craigslist in New York is selling 5 gallons of gas for $100 bucks? Craaaazy stuff. It's nice to know there are other Pests around here. Jocktober was GREAT this year.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It could be used for some good. A large gathering like that would give a little since of normality to the people, also if enough people come to watch, that’s a lot of body heat so those at the gathering would be as cold if they were alone. Also give a chance to have field docs to look over people without have to move the doctors to much. There are a few other ways they could use it to help New Yorker’s get back on their feet or at least help them survive the hard ship.

But back to reality I don’t see them using it in such a way.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectZero
It could be used for some good. A large gathering like that would give a little since of normality to the people, also if enough people come to watch, that’s a lot of body heat so those at the gathering would be as cold if they were alone. Also give a chance to have field docs to look over people without have to move the doctors to much. There are a few other ways they could use it to help New Yorker’s get back on their feet or at least help them survive the hard ship.

But back to reality I don’t see them using it in such a way.

are you serious? people are starving and dehydrating and more then likely, dying from exposure and you think a marathon will help their morality????????????????????????

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
For reference here is a link to the marathon map.

Starts in Staten Island, then thru Brooklyn, into Queens, across to Manhattan, up to Bronx, then back down into Manhattan finishing in Central Park.

Course
The ING New York City Marathon course is a 26.2-mile block party through the world’s most diverse city, and is a model for big-city marathons around the world. Here’s what you need to know about services, entertainment, cheering zones, and more.
www.ingnycmarathon.org

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
That marathon means a LOT of money for New Yorkers- with all the damage that was done, they are going to NEED it.

I have a bunch of cousins running in it (they came over from France) and my brother is running in it. He runs to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis research.

The cousins are helping some sort of shelter, I heard this morning. This marathon allowed them to be aware of the situation there and actually lend a hand.

This isn't just a "show". Everything looks superficial if just looked at superficially.

edit on 2-11-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

how do you suppose they run a marathon when so many people don't have basic needs being met? Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is just insane.

Money? how about human life and quality of life. Every single person that has to leave his post in relief efforts means NYC will take longer to recover.

It is a little selfish to say the least. Money..?!...people are going cold and hungry. It is a disaster zone under a state of emergency. I think we can make an exception. At the very least postpone it. Fund raising should all be centered around the homeless families right now. Not a dumb marathon that can't run normally anyways since every part that is currently in shambles is part of it.

It is like asking the people of new Orleans to host mardi gras a couple days after Katrina....insane. I can't see how people would even consider it.

Logically and morally, no, just no.
edit on 2-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join