It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schizophrenia diagnosed by simple eye test

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by royspeed

Does she eat a lot of things containing nutmeg? Here is a link, nutmeg can produce schizophrenia like effects in people. That eggnog can set some people off.www.racinedevie.com...

No, we hardly ever have nutmeg, she has been medically diagnosed with the illness, and has suffered from it for close on thirty years, and neither of us drink, so egg nog is off the menu as well.
She has to take a mass of antipsychotic drugs each day just to try and keep her on an even keel, so far she has been able to stay out of hospital for nearly eight years, which is a record for her, but if the voices well up into an intolerable force, as has happened before, she will start self-harming, and inevitably end up in the local mental health unit as an in-patient.
She has such courage to be able to fight this on a daily basis, as well as the prolapsed disks in her back, so she is confined to a wheelchair as well, she amazes me every day, but she suffers terribly with it.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

And the funny thing is, sometimes I think I'm an andy.

You have to love this movie and the book that inspired it: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
From what I have learned about the world we live in, my reality which I do not impose on you, the link I will supply says it best:

www.osho.com...

Schizophrenia is not a disease that happens to a few people – it is the normal state of humanity.

Everybody is divided, split. You can watch it in your own life. When you are not with a woman, with a man, not in love, you think, you fantasize about love. Love seems to be the goal. That seems to be the very meaning of life.

When you are with a woman or with a man and in love, suddenly you start thinking in terms of spiritualism: “This is attachment, this is possessiveness, this is lust.” A condemnation arises.

You cannot be alone and you cannot be with somebody. If you are alone you hanker for the crowd, for the other. If you are with somebody you start hankering to be alone.

This is something to be understood, because everybody has to face this problem. You are born in a schizophrenic world.

You have been given double standards; you have been taught materialism and you have been taught spiritualism, together. The whole society goes on teaching you contradictory things.

I was staying with a vice chancellor, and he told me that he was very worried about the new generation. He has two young boys and he was worried about them. He wants them to be humble. He wants them to be true, honest; he wants them to be religious, prayerful.

I said, “That’s okay. What else do you want them to be?” He said, “Of course, I would like them to succeed in life.” I insisted, “What do you mean by success?” He said, “At least I have become a vice chancellor. I would like them to be well-educated, to reach to high posts, to succeed materially as far as wealth is concerned: a good house, a good car, a good wife, respect in the society.”

And then he became a little uneasy, and he said, “But why are you asking this?” I said, “I am asking this because both are contradictory. On the one hand you want your son to be humble, on the other hand you want him to be ambitious. Now both will make him just split.

On the one hand he will try to carry the ideal of humility, humbleness, simplicity; on the other hand, the ideal to succeed, to be ambitious, to achieve.

An ambitious man cannot be humble; a humble man cannot be ambitious. And you want him to be prayerful? And you want him to be true and honest? A man who is trying to succeed in the world has to be dishonest. Of course, he has to be dishonest in such a way that nobody ever discovers it. He has to be very cunningly dishonest. He has to pretend to honesty and remain dishonest. He has to pretend to humbleness and remain egoistic.

But these are such different, diametrically opposite goals, and you put them inside one person – that person will always remain divided. If he succeeds he will think, ‘What happened to my humbleness, what happened to my prayer, what happened to my compassion?’ If he becomes humble he will think, ‘What happened to my ambition? I am nowhere.’”

You are born in a schizophrenic world. Your parents were schizophrenic and your teachers were schizophrenic; your priests, your politicians are schizophrenic. They go on talking about two diametrically opposite goals, and they go on creating the split in you.

Book Title : The Beloved, Vol.2 Chapter 1: The Roots and the Flowers Are One
CHOOSE A LANGUAGE

Never has this been said so perfectly imho, so if this test is 100% accurate then there must be ways to counter the results or they would discover that many seemingly healthy people who are the model of sensibility and wellness are instead mentally ill. Our entire society is one huge contradiction and with that said it may turn out that the politicians are running the mad house.

I have paranoia of Psychiatrists because I met a real doozie as a young woman, she was insane to be certain and out to do mental harm to the teenage girls unfortunate to be under her supervision and care. She was evil personified. I later heard she went totally crazy.

edit on 2-11-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by royspeed

I study what can cause these conditions, but when food causes them the symptoms are weak and/or intermittent. Someone with true Schizophrenia is a different thing. It seems to me if it is a chemical imbalance though, that omitting foods or herbs/spices that allow the enzymes to be created to form the chemistry would help. Medicine mostly works this way by stopping things from happening. The result of the medicine is often a side effect that lowers certain brain chemistry by modifying the function of one of our organs. I have only been studying this stuff full time for six years, I have much to learn yet.

I hope that she doesn't experience too many side effects from the meds. Some people have no side effects while others have all sorts of them. I can take meds for about two to three weeks before my liver starts to act up, then my kidneys are the next thing that goes wrong. At least I can take antibiotics for ten days if needed. I even get problems taking multivitamins on a regular basis, my liver doesn't like that.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Semicollegiate

Fats can reduce seizure activity in people. Usually I read more about this happening with saturated fats like bacon and pork chops, etc... For these people, eating fats actually can make them loose weight as it changes their metabolism to work faster. Sugars are the opposite, especially fructose which forms Acetylaldehyde. These cause the brains activity to increase lopsidedly, some areas being stimulated fast while others messed up.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well, this wouldn't work for me. I'd probably be instantly tossed in the looney bin as I have a wandering eye.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I find this very interesting. I could see it being used as a tool to help diagnose but not as the way to diagnose.

I do have schizophrenia and I do have bad eyes and it does seem that a lot of other schizophrenics I've personally met have bad eyes also. The thing I wonder though, is that a lot of us have been homeless or really just didn't have proper medical care for long periods, many of us have odd diets as well...I sometimes wonder if that doesn't play a big part in why a lot of us have bad eyes/teeth/poor health in general.

I do know that schizophrenia does cause actual physical changes in a person. Scans show my brain is not "normal" in structure anymore and it has effected my memory but that could in theory also be the result of electroconvulsive and meds.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Could One of these check points be installed in Washington DC and all branches of Government, WH, Congress, etc etc. and we at least put those in control of power On Medication,, maybe that is the problem...?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the next headline to be something like:

Schizophrenics Develop Near 100% Accurate Tests to Diagnose Total Idiots - by simply checking if they believe this shyte...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

Could One of these check points be installed in Washington DC and all branches of Government, WH, Congress, etc etc. and we at least put those in control of power On Medication,, maybe that is the problem...?

I think true schizophrenics are more easily identified. I think what you really mean is psychopaths. I think it is much more likely that congress is full of psychopaths. A real voice-hearing schizophrenic is what most non schizo's would call "Crazy." Pretty easy to identify after a little time. Psychopaths are a whole different ball game, they can fit in quite well with society. In fact, some aspects of the psychosis are advantageous to modern life.

I think the person stating they do have schizophrenia and believes the voices are real and other people can hear them is a good example. I feel for them, i really do, but don't you think someone like that would be easily identified? Imagine the tumult going on in the mind. Pretty bad # to deal with if you ask me.

V

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Schizophrenia diagnosed by simple eye test

www.scotsman.com

SCIENTISTS have discovered an almost 100 per cent accurate method to detect whether a person has schizophrenia – a simple sight test.

Impaired eye movement has long been thought to be associated with schizophrenia.

Now a new Scottish study has reported a model of testing that demonstrates 98 per cent accuracy in distinguishing between those with and without 
schizophrenia.

Using “simple viewing tests”, researchers at Aberdeen University explored the ability of eye movement tests to sort schiz
(visit the link for the full news article)

Correct...... don't get on the elevator with this guy or else it could be curtains for U

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Psychiatrists are always very impersonal people. So, people, especially if you happen to be dealing with a neurosis of some sort, tend to think their psychiatrists are 'mean' or evil, when in fact theyre taking precautions against getting emotionally sucked into the vortex of their patients reality.

However, I do agree that they many of them are extremely arrogant people. One time, awhile back, I had a long conversation with the head of the York Central psychiatry department in Toronto, Canada. This guy was just so effing insulting, so difficult to talk to. In fact, I couldn't say very much without him attempting to reduce my argument.

The argument was this: someone I knew was dealing with a serious long term OCD, but, as a caveat, I added that besides this one issue of his personality, he is one of the most reasonable people that I know. He responded "but he's obsessed, which is unreasonable. He doesn't work, therefore his value as a human being is compromised". This reductionism of a complex human personality to 'he obsesses' and thus, to warrant a comparison to Jack Nicholsons character in as good as it gets, was insulting, and demeaning. He was simply imposing his moral relativism on his patients.

Forget about the accomplishments this person has made in his spiritual, moral and intellectual life. None of that was relevant to him. He was obsessed with an insecurity, therefore, he is irrational, messed up, and unable to pas judgement on anything.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

I think the article is describing a particular type of poor eye sight.

Half of American have an astigmatism or myopia. So, its clearly not this that is being referred to.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yes... you can tell if a person is psychotic by their eyes... you can tell if a person is a criminal by the bumps on their head... and you can tell that these guys are idiots by the vapid # that they come up with.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
this story is BS.
Psychologists have a hard time diagnosing schizophrenia, it borders on many other conditions. There are multiple potential symptoms of schizophrenia.

This story is Impossible. I have a degree in psychology, fyi.
I can guarantee it's a flawed study.

edit: They don't even say how many people took part in the study. That right there sends up major red flags.

edit on 2-11-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
meh never mind
edit on 11/2/12 by RedDragon because: post probably broke the rules

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I better go get my eyes checked!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JosephKnecht

...is what the hypochondriac is thinking.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Were the patients on anti-psychotic medication? It seems that the anti-psychotics can affect tracking.

www.sciencedirect.com...
www.sciencedirect.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join