Schizophrenia diagnosed by simple eye test

page: 2
23
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
i would hope a positive diagnosis from this thing would at least be followed up by some therapy or something to confirm.

else i can imagine another generation of easy pill poppers




posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan
 



I have a hard time believe they really had 98% accuracy but perhaps so. Even still, I feel like this could just be another mechanical for accidental misdiagnosis.


Maybe the eye motion test comes with specific test parameters that they won't explain so as to keep the test uncheatable. Like sound simultanious with eyelid reflexes or something.

I always wondered how they knew for sure if someone was schizophrenic.
edit on 2-11-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by truthermantwo
 


I have read that exotic fatty acids decrease schizophrenic symptoms. Arachidonic acid in particular.


Found this one just now

The improvement of the EPA group was significantly superior to that of the DHA group, even with the small number of subjects, and EPA was superior also to placebo in a secondary analysis based on percentage improvement. All patients treated with EPA improved and half of them improved by more than 25% on the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS; Kay et al, 1987) total score (Peet et al, 2001).


apt.rcpsych.org...

When I read that fatty acids can diminish the symptoms there was only one study about it. Do you know if the fatty acids make a difference?

edit on 2-11-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-11-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Semicollegiate
reply to post by ErroneousDylan
 



I have a hard time believe they really had 98% accuracy but perhaps so. Even still, I feel like this could just be another mechanical for accidental misdiagnosis.


Maybe the eye motion test comes with specific test parameters that they won't explain so as to keep the test uncheatable. Like sound simultanious with eyelid reflexes or something.

I always wondered how they knew for sure if someone was schizophrenic.
edit on 2-11-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)


They can apparently take a brain scan and chemical level test to tell as well.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
So who's eyes do they check? Yours? Or your alter-ego's?



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
If it's just a simple eye test then they should package it and sell it at Wal-Mart. It could help people get the help they need sooner.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by KhufuKeplerTriangle
 


I can usually see both the colorblind and the normal versions. It makes it kind of hard to give the answer to the person doing the testing. They ask what picture you can see, I ask them what they want me to tell them. They have no clue that many people can see both of these, they say what is the one that is easiest to see. The results are askew, made up by people who can't see both ways. That is not a sign of mental illness if you see both ways, it is a sign of awareness above the people designing the tests. I know I am not alone in this ability.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Interesting.


Maybe by adding the schizophrenic's ability to not be fooled by the "hollow mask illusion" (and some other optical illusions) they can make a simple visual test with a better accuracy.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Semicollegiate
 


Arachidonic acid roots from omega 6, not omega 3. You need to supplement things like evening primrose or borage oil for that.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan
 


this would just have to be corroboration to clinical diagnosis; they won't go on this symptom alone.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthermantwo
I for one have "schizophrenia". But I don't go acting crazy unless my voices really get loud and start making me suffer. I've experimented with ways of affecting them instantly. ive imagined volume knobs in my mind and turning them down, that only worked for a time. Ive affected my aura, which my voices said got really big. Ive even had my voices take energy out of my mind which I felt happening and they got quieter. Ive mentaly teleported chips out of my body, that worked for a time. But the voices are still there sometimes and mostly heard outside. And they seem to be more audible when im just waking up and go outside for a cig. In my experienced opinion, voices are not a dellusion, but a biologically adaptive technology or perhaps..entity? Which talks likea computer program with repeated messages, but learns and sees and hears and senses and has predictive capabilities as well. It also has multiple personalities both male and female.


Say, "Surround the voices with white light and keep their energy to themselves." If it is an outside source it should help.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
reply to post by UnixFE
 


There are a variety of interesting perspectives on schizophrenia. (...)

Everything, instead of being experienced from the subjective perspective, is experienced from the objective perspective. A thought becomes 'someones thinking', or a feeling becomes 'someones' feeling. It's not the first person I who thinks and feels, but the "schism" between the individual and the perception of someone else thinking and feeling creates this separation in consciousness from the thinker and the thought. (...)

But also, and more often then not, he is experiencing his own emotions and thoughts as 'things in themselves'.
edit on 2-11-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)


This sounds very interesting. Would like to read and learn more about this (your?) perspective. Do you have ant research, sources, literature etc. by any chance? Thanks in advance!



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by reject
 


Lets hope they do use two tests and not just the eyes. There are literally hundreds of eye conditions that cause false or odd eye movements, although they won't have thought of that because everybody's normal.....nearly! I'd be a victim!



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
An estimated 1% of the US population has schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a neurobiological disorder. Schizophrenia is more then just a psychological illness. There are physical changes that take place in the brain once the illness starts. Some people have it their entire life others don't develope it until later in life. It is genetic but not everyone with the genes becomes schizophrenic. Some people with schizophrenia go their whole lives without treatment or even knowing they have the illness. In other people it can be severe enough they need treatment.

I've been living with the illness for the past 15 years.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat

Originally posted by truthermantwo
I for one have "schizophrenia". But I don't go acting crazy unless my voices really get loud and start making me suffer. I've experimented with ways of affecting them instantly. ive imagined volume knobs in my mind and turning them down, that only worked for a time. Ive affected my aura, which my voices said got really big. Ive even had my voices take energy out of my mind which I felt happening and they got quieter. Ive mentaly teleported chips out of my body, that worked for a time. But the voices are still there sometimes and mostly heard outside. And they seem to be more audible when im just waking up and go outside for a cig. In my experienced opinion, voices are not a dellusion, but a biologically adaptive technology or perhaps..entity? Which talks likea computer program with repeated messages, but learns and sees and hears and senses and has predictive capabilities as well. It also has multiple personalities both male and female.


Say, "Surround the voices with white light and keep their energy to themselves." If it is an outside source it should help.


I've done that, a self described kitchen witch told me to inhale white light and exhale blue light, and she told me she put up white light around me and kept me grounded, which helped with the physical attacks. She also gave me a crystal, which worked for a time but it hurt more than helped. But with all the things ive done their pretty much quiet today.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
An estimated 1% of the US population has schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a neurobiological disorder. Schizophrenia is more then just a psychological illness. There are physical changes that take place in the brain once the illness starts. Some people have it their entire life others don't develope it until later in life. It is genetic but not everyone with the genes becomes schizophrenic. Some people with schizophrenia go their whole lives without treatment or even knowing they have the illness. In other people it can be severe enough they need treatment.

I've been living with the illness for the past 15 years.


I need to see the actual data and understand it before I listen to more "descriptions" without validisation. For me, I experience the most real things, and other people have heard snippets of my voices because they project sometimes into the normal hearing range of others. So to me it may be biologicaly linked somehow, but there are theories that aliens have messed with our genetics, and other evidences that small non-listed metal chips have been found in people. So with all that and my experuiences, I personally think it's real, and who or whatever is behind it, is evil and needs to be destroyed.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by truthermantwo
 


Yea, your last sentence is telling. Evil and destruction is common language amongst schizophrenics.

I'm curious to know if people actually hear these snippets, or you just stretch reality to believe they do so you don't feel bonkers. Guess I'll never know, though.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
In reply to a couple of points in this thread, a friend of ours had his drink spiked with what was thought to be '___', and has since then been diagnosed as schizophrenic, so outside influences can indeed be the cause of the onset of the illness.
With regard to the eyes, my girlfriend is a paranoid schizophrenic, and I am also her carer as well as her partner, so I get to see her symptoms close-up 24/7 as it were. When she is suffering really badly with the voices, to the extent that she can only hear them as opposed to outside sounds, I have noticed that the pupils in her eyes dilate to the point where it is impossible to see any colour at all. When she last went into hospital for treatment, I mentioned this to the doctors, who all said that they had never heard of that symptom before. I don't know if it is unique to her, or if it is a common trend amongst sufferers of this, but this does tend to point towards the 'sight can be affected' line of thought in the OP.



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by royspeed
 


Does she eat a lot of things containing nutmeg? Here is a link, nutmeg can produce schizophrenia like effects in people. That eggnog can set some people off.www.racinedevie.com...



posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Thymos
 


Just a lot of reading.

As mentioned, Huxley has some very interesting thoughts on the subject in 'the doors of perception'. Terrence Mckenna also has interesting views. The rest has come from my own studies in psychology and psychoanalysis.

The difficulties are not just in hearing voices, but also in the dissociation that it can produce in experiencing the world. When your own thoughts don't feel like your thoughts, but feel like 'someone elses' thoughts (hence the paranoia that often accompanies schizophrenia) that can be extremely unnerving and extremely difficult to cope with.

As for what I said about the nature of schizophrenia. In certain communities in earlier times, being schizophrenic made you a prime candidate for the medicine man. Amongst the turkic tribes of Russia, the village shaman is often a schizophrenic, who's both revered for his spiritual abilities and looked at as a fool for his raving madness. And because this condition tends to be congenital, the line of shaman is hereditary.

The normal state is to be rooted in a physical body, feeling and knowing yourself as an "I". The schizophrenic almost incidentally lives as an I, while experiencing reality from a much more inclusive perspective. Just as when we dream our thoughts, feelings, fears, stresses etc take on personal forms in situations and interactions, for the schizophrenic, these things berate consciousness with their noise.

The schizophrenic is both ill and imbued with a natural ability. If he succumbs to fear, he will live a tortuous existence. If however he learns to control his feelings, not respond emotionally to the voices but to see them for what they are, he can not only gain control of himself and live an almost normal life, but he could potentially become a fairly effective psychic. The non-schizophrenic clairvoyant essentially effects the same state in their minds when they enter a meditative state. However, they have that 'wall' in consciousness between their subconscious and conscious. Nothing passes through unless they want it to (generally).





top topics
 
23
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join