It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schizophrenia diagnosed by simple eye test

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Schizophrenia diagnosed by simple eye test

www.scotsman.com

SCIENTISTS have discovered an almost 100 per cent accurate method to detect whether a person has schizophrenia – a simple sight test.

Impaired eye movement has long been thought to be associated with schizophrenia.

Now a new Scottish study has reported a model of testing that demonstrates 98 per cent accuracy in distinguishing between those with and without 
schizophrenia.

Using “simple viewing tests”, researchers at Aberdeen University explored the ability of eye movement tests to sort schiz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I have a hard time believe they really had 98% accuracy but perhaps so. Even still, I feel like this could just be another mechanical for accidental misdiagnosis.

What if someone went to a psychiatrist because they feared they might be schizophrenic, even though it was an irrational fear for they were healthy, but also happened to have visual problems? Many things could cause eye spasms and twitching which could lead to doctors to jump to conclusions.

Of course there is a connection between your eyes and emotional disturbances but this seems to come off as a little too definitive.

If anyone is interested in the study, it is here:
ge.tt...

www.scotsman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
yea right skitz ho
im fine just looked in the mirror
axe me a question
ill axe u up
so do i fit in
eyes wide shut
open them now

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
It makes sense. Essentially a disease, either an abornamally or an actual infection.

Something with a physical symptom.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I agree. Scientists tend to jump to conclusions and I believe this is one of those cases.

On the other hand, this could be a useful tool in helping diagnose such a malady. However, as you noted, there must be a thorough examination to make sure the person is not suffering from a fear of becoming psychotic.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I for one have "schizophrenia". But I don't go acting crazy unless my voices really get loud and start making me suffer. I've experimented with ways of affecting them instantly. ive imagined volume knobs in my mind and turning them down, that only worked for a time. Ive affected my aura, which my voices said got really big. Ive even had my voices take energy out of my mind which I felt happening and they got quieter. Ive mentaly teleported chips out of my body, that worked for a time. But the voices are still there sometimes and mostly heard outside. And they seem to be more audible when im just waking up and go outside for a cig. In my experienced opinion, voices are not a dellusion, but a biologically adaptive technology or perhaps..entity? Which talks likea computer program with repeated messages, but learns and sees and hears and senses and has predictive capabilities as well. It also has multiple personalities both male and female.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
the US military has tests for color blindness, given after commitment to enlist.
i believe some of these test results were known to correlate with types of mental illness and this is being withheld from the public.

what do you think, USAF?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by truthermantwo

And hows your vision?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

In my experienced opinion, voices are not a dellusion, but a biologically adaptive technology or perhaps..entity?

Delusions, no, in that they are not entirely meaningless or don't serve a compensatory function. Their job is to perform a function. The personality in question is lacking in internal cohesiveness, which results in a 'breaking' apart of aspects within the self.

I'm not saying each voice represents a determined aspect. Rather, they represent a window into a particular drive, or aspect of the self, which finds involuntary expression through a voice. In general, feelings "speak" to people. In the Schizophrenic, literal words are heard within the mind.

In any case, no sane person want's schizophrenia. However, it is refreshing to hear how coolly you seem to be able to deal with it. The worse thing one can do is react emotionally to the voices, which only throws you into a deeper fit and equips said voices with greater power. Pressure induces counter pressure. The Schizophrenic has to learn to become apathetic, which is much easier said than done, I'm sure./

Scizhophrenia is a psychosis; a derangement of the mind. However, a quiet and centered consciousness can keep it within control.

Are you on medication by any chance?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I suppose I'm one of the few that think this is good news...at least for the sake of the many misdiagnosis's that occur in psychiatry; of course many would argue they are all misdiagnoses; and no such thing just culture norms pushed on society...if you don't fit in to the norm; then you're abnormal and "need" to be fixed...odd concept but that's the system we've got.

Maybe research into understanding the innate goal of what the individuals psyche that compels them; is trying to achieve or resolve and be a guide to help them achieve that for balance; and come out on the other side more evolved. Instead of merely suppressing or covering it up, with medications and hospitals. That's where the real "cure" lay in mental illness. But making people pop a pill; that shuts off certain parts of the brain by blocking it's evolution of growth, because it's disruptive or disturbing...I guess is easier.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Does this remind anyone of the Voight-Kampff test from Blade Runner?

Interesting because schizophrenia is a running theme in the movie.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I just can't believe what i perceive is because my brain is causing it. I mean i can only really hold one to several words at a time in my mind, so how does what sounds like an outside observer (voices) come up with things to say without my mind first thinking it up? It doesn't make sense. My thinking is too many people who don't have it, cannot conceive or perceive of the way it is and their flight to some logical thinking based on their own understanding makes the people think something like "well that person is sane, let's trust his opinion/diagnosis" instead of taking it straight from a person suffering these things.

My vision is 20/20 but i've seen UFO's, a demon or monster like creature, lights flashing and heard things you wouldn't want to even think about being real..because im sorry to say, whatever causes this, knew how to hide it to create humanity into this today. Think about it, some people considered voices to be Gods, others developed remedies to get rid of them. Now we tell people to take their tardiv disconesia meds and suffer them quietly. Our society is totally evil towards voice hearers.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

I'm definitely a believer in the natural evolution of the personality, and I tend to look askance at people who think someone 'needs' medication to live normally.

HOWEVER, anyone who has ever dealt with a serious nervous or mental issue will have to admit the irrefutable value of a seroquel or a tranquilizer or some other antipsychotic medication that actually liberates the mind stuck in the morbid powers of the emotions.

Once they get a hold of you, meaning, once you begin having trouble sleeping, and dealing with serious anxiety, sooner or later you enter a condition which can only properly be termed "Hell on earth". If it weren't for medications to help people in this state, nothing could be done to save them. No medication, no therapy, would suffice to bring them out. The pathology, or, if you prefer, the 'spirit' uses the body as its internal mechanism. Whats felt is this violent electrical energy storming through the body. Each stimulus evokes a lightning strike the the mind.

I have seen this. I have also experienced this myself about 8 years ago after meddling with a certain eastern meditative issue that had extremely dangerous after effects. If it wasn't for the wonders of modern pharmaceuticals, I'd either be dead (preferably) or insane.

It is frightening how powerful the nerves can become when the mind in question is made weak enough.

On the other hand. It's been 8 years, I'm not on any medication, and I have grown a great deal spiritually and psychologically, to the point where I am in much greater command of my emotions than I used to be. Still though, I can recognize the value and good in medicating people who otherwise would kill themselves or suffer unimaginably.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Is it not possible that the medications the subject was taking could be the cause of the eye movements? Depressant tranqs like benzos will definetly mess with your "smooth pursuit.". I don't know much about the other tests though. Interesting concept.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Well, it's hard to really say.

People who meddle with certain types of meditation can develop schizophrenia, implying that the realms which meditation seeks to make the mind aware of also contain the voices which schizophrenics hear.

However, not all people suffer this. Some people are in control of such powers. For example, everyone knows the twilight state between consciousness and unconsciousness which we experience just before entering deep sleep. In this state, we 'hear voices'. This is the same thing the schizophrenic deals with, only difference is, we have a 'wall' separating the rumblings of the subconscious from the conscious mind, where they do not.

Some people can't deal with these noises. It drives them insane - and for totally understandable reasons. However, I do agree with you that this society fosters an unhealthy fear and paranoia towards this sort of mental illness. If, the voices in questions are parts of the persons individual self (or perhaps, at times, something else), why is that treated with such attrition? Wouldn't it best for the person is question to be commiserated with? Of course, we shouldn't tolerate his fantasies or take seriously his visions or voices. But at the same time, we should talk with him as a person capable of controlling his voices. That the only difference between he and us is that our voices speak to us while we dream, while they hear voices while awake.

In any case, I have read of many outstanding individuals (John Nash, the mathematician and subject of a beautiful mind, who dealt with audio-visual hallucinations, showed a remarkable ability in controlling them) who lived with schizophrenia without letting it take control of them. Unbelievable people, who take a tremendously optimistic attitude towards their condition.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

I think this is a general problem of humanity. For thousands of years we always declared everything we don't understand as evil or impossible. You just have to do a time travel back a few hundred years with a cool mp3 player and I bet that they will burn you as a witch. If we don't understand it it can't exist.

In my opinion we have to learn to accept that even 'impossible' thinks can exist even if we can't believe it. So if others hear voices we always say they are insane. But do we really know? What if we don't understand the brain or universe and in 100 years they discover that those people already managed to dive into another layer of whatever.

I have a simple question to all those who believe in evolution (I do at least for 99%): If only the best/fittest survive why does our brain today 'waste' so much energy sending magnetic waves out in the world. You can measure these waves with simple build it yourself devices. If we are all single individuals these frequencies can't do anything useful and are wasted. So those who don't waste this energy would have survived in the past if food is rare. So if evolution theory is right these frequencies are useful for us. And all I can think of is that we are all connected and exchange information that unconsciously help us in our decisions...
Maybe those who hear voices can hear part of this communication. In my opinion it is really important to learn that not all we don't understand or think of as impossible really is impossible.

Humanity hasn't learned anything out of its past. If you tell people that it is possible to walk through a wall they don't ask who this can be done but suggest to visit the doctor.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by UnixFE

There are a variety of interesting perspectives on schizophrenia.

Aldous Huxley in his book "the doors of perception" parenthetically discusses the relationship of his experiences on '___' with the depersonalization experienced by schizophrenics (hearing voices is only one symptom; there are others).

In my opinion, the schizophrenic experiences reality topsy turvy. Instead of being rooted in an individual personality that interacts with the physical reality, he seems to be an individual personality experiencing reality from a for more expansive state of awareness. Hence, the common experience of the schizophrenic feeling "objectified"

Everything, instead of being experienced from the subjective perspective, is experienced from the objective perspective. A thought becomes 'someones thinking', or a feeling becomes 'someones' feeling. It's not the first person I who thinks and feels, but the "schism" between the individual and the perception of someone else thinking and feeling creates this separation in consciousness from the thinker and the thought.

Now, if these frequencies you mention contain spiritual information, or stimuli, it's possible that the schizophrenic - who experiences the world from the opposite perspective from the normal subjective viewpoint - is in fact entraining information within the collective 'unconscious' atmosphere. Being rooted in a depersonalized, objectified, perhaps, 'godhead' state of being, he picks these frequencies up.

But also, and more often then not, he is experiencing his own emotions and thoughts as 'things in themselves'.
edit on 2-11-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

It's possible that it can detect schizophrenia 98 percent of the time in people that have it, but also give false positives often as well, I am sure.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysis

Ah.. dude, you totally beat me to it. I posted the VK test video then scrolled up and saw your post.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join