The Kremlin's New Internet Surveillance Plan Goes Live Today

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

The Kremlin's New Internet Surveillance Plan Goes Live Today

www.wired.com

n the surface, it’s all about protecting Russian kids from internet pedophiles. In reality, the Kremlin’s new “Single Register” of banned websites, which goes into effect today, will wind up blocking all kinds of online political speech. And, thanks to the spread of new internet-monitoring technologies, the Register could well become a tool for spying on millions of Russians.

Signed into law by Vladimir Putin on July 28, the internet-filtering measure contains a single, innocuous-sounding paragraph that allows those compiling the Register to draw on court decisions relating to the b
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I would imagine it is only a matter of time before this takes place here in the US. We already have sock puppets and shills, not to mention google censorship. I used to feel like the internet was a bastion of truth and free speech. For the last, at least 10 years, you have to weed through so much disinformation it is hard to really know what the truth is. I am sure there is some bill working through Congress to achieve the same goal. Probably with some innocuous sounding name like, "National Internet Free Speech Bill", or something like that. And the collection and cataloging of on line comments across the wide swath of popular message boards.

Yes, I realize it is Russia. But there are similar laws, censorship, isp gathering, and restrictions that are being placed upon citizens of many first world countries.

These Yahoos are all in this thing together.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-11-2012 by GrantedBail because: cuz

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It's always about the children. ( sarcasm) How can you argue with protecting the children?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Putin's Russia is just trying to keep pace with obama.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Harper wants this in Canada too. The Conservatives use the same rhetoric. They say if you are against this bill then you must support pedophilia. It's insane.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

The horror!

The Outrage!

Oh wait...

It's Russia under Putin..

Never mind.

Fist pump in support.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
They've tried to pass this twice in Australia... So far we have been lucky enough to avert it.

Not sure how long we can hold out tho if our MP's point to the rest of the world and throw a tantrum saying;
"But they're doing it! - hmph"

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

The horror!

The Outrage!

Oh wait...

It's Russia under Putin..

Never mind.

Fist pump in support.

Slayer as much as I enjoy your threads about ancient civilizations, archeaological discoviers etc etc...I have to say this is the most @ssholish post i've ever seen from you.

It's obnoxious and completely ignorant.

Shame this didn't happen to the US...because you truely would be outraged but just because it wasn't the US, you couldn't give a sh1t were it occured.

Don't you feel any real discontent for the Russian peoples freedoms this will affect?

ETA: Maybe my reply was hasty and I just didn't get the pun first time around, but that was a dig at Putin and a "Nevermind" it was inevitable he would take Russia back to communism, wasn't it?

My original reply still stands though

edit on 3-11-2012 by Chipkin9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Oh this is just grand. So much for Russia no longer being a communist state. With that said, anyone who believes that all governments don't spy on the internet is fooling him/herself. It's only a matter of time before there are site bans in all countries - just another citizen "right" guaranteed in some way yet obfiscated through some BS national security reason.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Wonder if this will slow down the spammers/hackers that seem to reign so freely in that area

new topics
top topics

join