It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hotel Owner refuses to evict Sandy evacuees for Marathoners

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by facedye
reply to post by Crakeur

Stephen, it's really disgusting. i really can't believe how half-hearted his efforts really are around the city 5 days later. things are literally getting worse because they seem like they're staying exactly the same.

one of my best friends just got a confirmation today that she wont have any kind of power until next friday, and yet just one block away their power is up and running.

oh and also, this sense that obama or fema are doing anything about this is laughable. if any of you here really think that the federal government is here and helping, i'd suggest you try and come into the city to look for yourself... if you can even get in. i certainly still can't even get out.

i mean really... the MARATHON? who cares?! people are still dying here! people are still without power and food! if it's a money thing, then it makes even LESS sense. this city is BLEEDING financially every single waking day that our power is out and trains are inactive. something tells me that bloomberg's got a lot riding on this pony show, and we still have everything to lose. at least it's nice to see where his priorities are. god i really hope he finds some new patch of sand far, far away to dig his head into. his time is up here.

running a marathon in this city's state is like holding the olympics in the middle of the jungle without any light. if the environment around you is not sustainable enough to enjoy these kinds of comforts, nobody's going to care nor want it! this is a disillusioned mayor at his finest.

Did your best friend PREPARE? They had plenty of warning no? If their neighbors have power, can they not spend some time with them?

Sometimes when life knocks you down, you MUST GET BACK UP. Sometimes an event that encapsulates the whole city, can bring EVERYONE together.

Maybe this race is JUST what the city needs... embrace your neighbors.. Embrace the race. Keep moving forward... apply running 26.2 miles to your own life.. What do you need to do that takes ENDURANCE.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by uSNUUZuLUUz
reply to post by yourmaker

same can be said on the Flipside of the coin. Can't drying out a basement wait 10 hours for the race to finish, and then back to sopping up towels? Wow so the subways closed and people had to GASP.. walk?? omg.

The race is here to lift everyone's spirits. The cleanup can wait for 10 hours. Rome was not built in a day. Cleanup can continue after this momentous occasion such as the NYC marathon.

People get really caught up in negative emotions or events. What happened HAPPENED. it was not the worst. nor the easiest. But that is what life gives us. And we are EXPECTED to rise over it.

So stand up, RISE. Lift one another up. & enjoy the race. Stop dwelling on problems, and complaining. LOOK UP. Enjoy LIFE while you still have it.

i would hardly call trying to find food, water, power and gas "dwelling on problems." have you been affected by this storm at all? it sounds like a very philosophical notion that you're siding with, and it also sounds like it's very hypothetical.

there are real problems here. problems that the marathon can wait for. and how exactly do you expect to "walk" everywhere if the subways are closed? lol.. how does one.. walk from burrough to burrough... when there's no way to get there?

and don't get me wrong, i don't want to come off as antagonistic. i agree that people should enjoy every waking moment they have. we really should try and make the best of this. unfortunately though, to the locals that are really trying to make the best of their damaged lives right now, this marathon is more like a slap in the face.

really, try to think about it from the perspective that you're having a marathon in your city when you can't even watch or get to it because you don't have power or transportation. lol. this marathon will not benefit anyone here who is going through recovery. it just means that the city will still be doing much of what it was doing - a whole lot of waiting. it's just that now, they're taking the cops with them too so that they can make sure people are safe watching other people run down the street in bright outfits. i mean just imagine how ridiculous these pictures are going to look of marathon runners trekking through a hurricane battered city.

come on... you can't tell me you don't see the problem here.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by uSNUUZuLUUz

How does a race raise spirits??? I live here in Chicago and the Chicago marathon does NOTHING for me, if anything, its annoying because they block off numerous streets for a couple days...

To assume that having this race go on will make citizens of NY happy is a big assumption... I bet you most could care less, they likely just want their city back

That right there, is a classic example of what's wrong. People are too lazy, too fat, and too empathetic to care about anything. They are more worried about STREET CLOSURES, rather than the big international event that has come right to their front door, and running through their streets.

Perhaps some should look at the big picture. Right now in the 21st century you can get food with the press of a button. You can get service with a simple phone call. BUT what if all that DISSAPPEARED? What if all that stopped working. What if you had to run to get food or shelter?

What if you had to run 26.2 miles .. now .. in order to survive? Are you ready for that? Are you prepared? Maybe we should marvel at those that can achieve this, and in a fast time too. Maybe we should use these international races as INSPIRATION. What in your life can be achieved with endurance.

Many look at the small picture.. "oh man the streets are going to be closed". rather than the BIG PICTURE.. Life is bigger than your front door step. Life is bigger than your back yard. Life is bigger than all of us.

Open your eyes, and experience LIFE. running is not a nuisance. running is not a punishment. It's pain, pleasure, achievement, motivation, and finding what MOVES YOU.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
NEWS ALERT: MARATHON JUST CANCELLED.

Something about Staten Island.
edit on 2-11-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

lmao.. i'm sorry... i really don't want to come off as rude at all, but you sound like a motivational speaker. you were absolutely nowhere near the threat and danger of this storm, were you?

it's sad to see that you can't see past your own hypothetical scenarios that you conjure up for other people. nobody had any idea how bad this storm was going to get. even the ones that were prepared. you think holding a marathon in the wake of the worst hurricane to ever hit the east coast is a spirit lifting event? what planet is this?!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Hey guy, I work out more than most people, I can run long distances too I just find the race annoying becuase it DOES affect everyone who lives in the city...

Do you know what will raise spirits of NY citizens... Getting the city back to where it once was, helping people with building back their homes and replacing their lost/destroyed belongings.. People need to move on with their lives and a marathon going through the city doesnt help anyone one bit...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by facedye

Originally posted by uSNUUZuLUUz
reply to post by yourmaker

same can be said on the Flipside of the coin. Can't drying out a basement wait 10 hours for the race to finish, and then back to sopping up towels? Wow so the subways closed and people had to GASP.. walk?? omg.

The race is here to lift everyone's spirits. The cleanup can wait for 10 hours. Rome was not built in a day. Cleanup can continue after this momentous occasion such as the NYC marathon.

People get really caught up in negative emotions or events. What happened HAPPENED. it was not the worst. nor the easiest. But that is what life gives us. And we are EXPECTED to rise over it.

So stand up, RISE. Lift one another up. & enjoy the race. Stop dwelling on problems, and complaining. LOOK UP. Enjoy LIFE while you still have it.

i would hardly call trying to find food, water, power and gas "dwelling on problems." have you been affected by this storm at all? it sounds like a very philosophical notion that you're siding with, and it also sounds like it's very hypothetical.

there are real problems here. problems that the marathon can wait for. and how exactly do you expect to "walk" everywhere if the subways are closed? lol.. how does one.. walk from burrough to burrough... when there's no way to get there?

and don't get me wrong, i don't want to come off as antagonistic. i agree that people should enjoy every waking moment they have. we really should try and make the best of this. unfortunately though, to the locals that are really trying to make the best of their damaged lives right now, this marathon is more like a slap in the face.

really, try to think about it from the perspective that you're having a marathon in your city when you can't even watch or get to it because you don't have power or transportation. lol. this marathon will not benefit anyone here who is going through recovery. it just means that the city will still be doing much of what it was doing - a whole lot of waiting. it's just that now, they're taking the cops with them too so that they can make sure people are safe watching other people run down the street in bright outfits. i mean just imagine how ridiculous these pictures are going to look of marathon runners trekking through a hurricane battered city.

come on... you can't tell me you don't see the problem here.

1.) i would see the pictures of people running though damaged areas as..... BEAUTIFUL.
(it means that they are not afraid, and not discouraged, and can push through any ADVERSITY that comes their way)

2.) I would want people to WALK to the marathon route. Forget about your car. Forget about the train. WALK. use your legs. GET SOME EXERCISE. it would be good for everyone. and good for everyone's health. People are so dependent on transportation that they forget they were born with FEET and legs. Who cares that you can't watch it on TV, when you can go and experience it LIVE. That's the whole point!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but the crap you're spewing just doesn't make any sense.... "lets forget about the problems and walk and race in a marathon, that will solve so much, and when were done we can drink shots of grass and tell tales of how Sandy destroyed our house and then we can all sing Kumbaya, light candles and dance the night away"........ People NEED to solve their problems, they need to get power back, food back, repair their homes, etc. running a race is a short term distraction from a persons real problems.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

That's fantastic news... Glad to see them get their priorities right

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

i cannot walk to manhattan from my house right now, even if i wanted to. the more you say about your own position, the more i realize you're living in your own head.

you still haven't answered my question. have you experienced the devastation of this storm at all? do you even live in the city? do you realize that there is a lot of water between each burrough and the city? do you also know that the bridges and subways are practically out of service?

i mean i keep trying to get this through to you, but for some reason it's not working. there's no way to walk into the city. please understand this. there is ACTUAL devastation here. it's not like everyone here is making it up as they go along because it's a conspiracy website.

people here are actually in trouble, and actually need their power back on before they're going to want to see any kind of "big international event." you know, like before you'd wanna go into the city to heighten your spirits and have a good 'ol time, you might have mouths to feed or people to house with no clear way of how to get that done. seriously, think outside the box. there might be some angles you haven't covered yet because of your blindingly bright optimism.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

It was just announced live on MSNBC.

I haven't seen any posted news on it yet.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Just saw it on ESPN

espn.go.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Just saw it on ESPN

espn.go.com...

OK.

Go start a thread on it.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Well, I suppose things have worked themselves out them. That's probably for the best with the conflicts of feelings...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Well, I suppose things have worked themselves out them. That's probably for the best with the conflicts of feelings...

Probably so.

I was just taking a position of a larger scale.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Yes, the 'something about Staten Island' was the news finally filtering through that there was 500,000 people living there and the entire island is devastated. People's houses are off their foundations, and what help is coming in is having to go door to door checking for dead bodies. DEAD BODIES. And some fool mayor thinks it will be no big deal to have 30,000 marathoners traipsing by in two days????

Yee Gods, what kind of person, a highly skilled athlete in command of their senses, watches the world news from wherever they live and sees devastation hitting one of the biggest cities in the world, and then gets on a plane on Thursday, not three days after a 500-year storm hits when parts of the city are still underwater, there's going to be drowned rats everywhere, transportation is nil, the food hasn't started to be brought back in yet, and people are standing in line for hours for gasoline...oh, and the hotel you have a reservation at is full to the gills with refugees and your reservation may be in jeopardy (duh!).

Having the marathon on Sunday would have been like having Mardi Gras less than a week after Katrina hit. Only winter's coming and NYC is far more populous then New Orleans ever thought of being.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Oh, I'd replied to that one ..with the one we'd agreed on some points with earlier in mind. It would seem it's worked out how it needed to.

You know my real hope here is that New York absolutely fights the temptation to go the way New Orleans did in one major factor. I believe New Orleans politicians came to depend on and wait for aid distribution from state and federal sources. ...and waiting...and waiting..and well, Google earth still looks like a rough rough city in large areas that weren't Disneyland before it hit, but weren't like it is now.

I really fear there is a short window for that mental choice between fighting like hell to restore things to normal ASAP....and letting things happen as they will. The difference in outcome ..frankly..would be Miami/Homestead after Andrew and New Orleans after Katrina. I hope it improves quick.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Boats in the middle of streets, houses burned down, flooded, washed out to sea. Water contaminated everywhere with gas, oil & sewage. Debris everywhere and missing dead people. Homeless people that lost everything, no power, but hey lets have a marathon! Bloomberg is insane.
edit on 2-11-2012 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

You know my real hope here is that New York absolutely fights the temptation to go the way New Orleans did in one major factor. I believe New Orleans politicians came to depend on and wait for aid distribution from state and federal sources. ...and waiting...and waiting..and well, Google earth still looks like a rough rough city in large areas that weren't Disneyland before it hit, but weren't like it is now.

I really fear there is a short window for that mental choice between fighting like hell to restore things to normal ASAP....and letting things happen as they will. The difference in outcome ..frankly..would be Miami/Homestead after Andrew and New Orleans after Katrina. I hope it improves quick.

I think one big difference between New Orleans and New York is culture. They're both America - - but "cultures apart".

I think NY is more of a "do it now - get it done - get on with life" culture.

They're just different.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean
Bloomberg is insane.

I wouldn't say he is insane.

I'd say he's like a CEO responsible to stockholders and customers alike.

There's a lot at stake. I don't think it was an easy decision - - either way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join