It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hotel Owner refuses to evict Sandy evacuees for Marathoners

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitruvian

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well... Bloomberg had as clean a slate as Obama to prove himself a man or a mouse. He squeaks.
So far Obama is doing a decent job. Day by day on this...it's a long long way from over given the sheer numbers and land area involved.

Huh? "So far Obama is doing a decent job."

Drudge Report - Page HERE and Story HERE

edit on 2-11-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt

Seriously?

And what more do you expect Obama to do?

Maybe he should've played Pecos Bill - - lassoed the storm and pulled it back out to sea.

Nah - - then you'd find a way to blame him for a drought or something.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Seriously?

Maybe he should've played Pecos Bill - - lassoed the storm and pulled it back out to sea.

Damn. The MSM hammered Bush for doing the exact same thing that Obama is getting praise for. Go figure.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Seriously?

Damn. The MSM hammered Bush for doing the exact same thing that Obama is getting praise for. Go figure.

And... what exactly is even remotely similar between Bush's and Obama's performances here? Bush was almost beat by President Fox's response from the Mexican army!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Really? At least Obama doesn't have a Republican governor sabotaging him like Bush had a Democrat one doing.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
That's an awesome hotel owner.
I hope runners continue to drop out, until the marathon can't proceed and resources will go back into where it's most needed.
When I heard about it still being held despite the storm's destruction, I was all set to say that maybe the "Sandy is way overhyped" people have a point, because the Broadway show still played and parts of the subways are running after just two days, et cetera....
I mean, I would have thought that a disaster of the magnitude being spoken of would include a complete cancellation of everything not having to do with rescue and survival, not to mention transit service availability consistent with the reports of their non-functionality.
But I'm probably just talking out of my rear-end.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Seriously?

And... what exactly is even remotely similar between Bush's and Obama's performances here? Bush was almost beat by President Fox's response from the Mexican army!

I want to know too.

I've been following politics for a while. I don't remember anything similar either.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I expect the President to Lead!!

This guy leads from the behind...and how's that working out for everyone...
Absolutely shameful IMO.
edit on 2-11-2012 by relocator because: corrected spelling..

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
what it boils down to is that it now seems as if the power con ed's focus was on getting the power up and running for the marathon, with the other areas to be dealt with afterward.

To have the city get more bogged down in traffic, when it's already a parking lot, is ridiculous.

There are people without power and, yet, there are two massive generators in central park for the marathon with a third, unused, in case one of the first two fails.

www.nypost.com...

The shelves are devoid of food because the shipments can't get in. Gas stations, empty, because shipments can't get in.

Yet, somehow, we can put on a dog and pony show for the world?

Bloomberg was aces in the handling of the storm, until this decision.

edit on 2-11-2012 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

It seems counter-productive to send away a major major event if they are still willing to try....when the trouble may be workable and the benefit, so very necessary for everyone in the City?

Shocking I know - - but I'm kind of with you on this.

Many of these runners plan years ahead for these events and they come from all over the world at great expense.

The NYC marathon is a major International event. This isn't some convenient little run that can be re-scheduled.

I appreciate the compassion and sentiment of this hotel owner - - - but I'm mixed on whether it was a good choice or not.

It probably would have been good - - if he reached out to the community and asked locals and local businesses who were still operational to help take in guests that were displaced by early registered runners.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The decision should be entirely that of the hotel owner and I would sincerely hope that any wannabe marathon runner would have the intelligence and compassion to realise that others' needs are greater - and not be a selfish g*t.

You can run a marathon any day.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I predict that the runners will get mauled on the tracks by angry city occupants.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

It seems counter-productive to send away a major major event if they are still willing to try....when the trouble may be workable and the benefit, so very necessary for everyone in the City?

Shocking I know - - but I'm kind of with you on this.

Many of these runners plan years ahead for these events and they come from all over the world at great expense.

The NYC marathon is a major International event. This isn't some convenient little run that can be re-scheduled.

I appreciate the compassion and sentiment of this hotel owner - - - but I'm mixed on whether it was a good choice or not.

It probably would have been good - - if he reached out to the community and asked locals and local businesses who were still operational to help take in guests that were displaced by early registered runners.

Well stated. Local NY'ers, should have other family and friends that they can stay with no? If your first resort in an emergency is a hotel, then you have bigger problems. Do you put down HILTON as your emergency contact for your child's school? Do you put down SUPER 8, as your 2nd residence on your tax forms?

Let the runners coming from out of town, get their hotel room that has been reserved months if not years in advance. Why have laws? Why have order? in order to maintain solidarity and trust with everyone. Have those that were sheltered in hotels move to red cross camps, or to schools, or family and friends. Those coming from out of town, don't have any other contacts in NY except for that cold hotel room.

You can see those people that SPREAD FEAR in times of heartache. And you also see those people that SPREAD HOPE in face of disaster. I applaud the mayor for keeping the race on. Have faith in humanity. When life knocks you down, GET BACK UP!

So put on a smile... and support the race. Stop complaining. And next time be sure to PREPARE. Everyone was given advanced warning. Did people not go to the grocery store and stock up on WATER, ramen, bread, and toiletpaper like everyone else? Prepare people. Prepare.

Enjoy the race. Did America not like the fact that the baseball game was held after 9/11?? It brought everyone together. So go outside, get off the couch, and be with your neighbors as the talented athletes from across the world come and run 26.2 miles through your neighborhood. perhaps you may be inspired to run one day as well!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The race must go on???

Who gives a flying **** for a marathon, your highness, I mean mayor.... Your city is falling apart due to Sandy and the only thing you care about is this race.... Time to get your priorities straight... This is why you can't have a guy who's worth $25 billion running a city, he just doesn't understand how the common-man (person) lives or what they're dealing with...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
The race must go on???

Who gives a flying **** for a marathon, your highness, I mean mayor.... Your city is falling apart due to Sandy and the only thing you care about is this race.... Time to get your priorities straight... This is why you can't have a guy who's worth $25 billion running a city, he just doesn't understand how the common-man (person) lives or what they're dealing with...

sometimes you gotta look on the Bright side, right? Sometimes you have to STOP and smell the roses while they are still alive? Why not celebrate the good of the city? Why not celebrate the togetherness of the city? Why not support the race that brings international attention to the city?

Sometimes life is more than complaining and dwelling in the past. Sometimes you have to look UP. sometimes you have to move forward. did the baseball game after 9/11 not help everyone feel better? This event could bring the whole city together.

I support the mayor and support the race! have faith in humanity and support it too, and maybe be inspired to run 26.2 miles yourself. maybe in order to survive in the future. Start training now. ;-)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by uSNUUZuLUUz

I agree with finding positives, I just find it being TOO soon... I think playing games isn't appropriate with the devastation all around... It just seems too damn soon to me

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I have to mention this as it's been eating away at me for some time now...

America's inability to stop time for a moment truly disturbs me.

The fact you can't all stop for a moment to even hold hold off on a freaking marathon...actions speak louder than words?

Your leaders seem to have no problem with leaving a lot of you behind..

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Stephen, it's really disgusting. i really can't believe how half-hearted his efforts really are around the city 5 days later. things are literally getting worse because they seem like they're staying exactly the same.

one of my best friends just got a confirmation today that she wont have any kind of power until next friday, and yet just one block away their power is up and running.

oh and also, this sense that obama or fema are doing anything about this is laughable. if any of you here really think that the federal government is here and helping, i'd suggest you try and come into the city to look for yourself... if you can even get in. i certainly still can't even get out.

i mean really... the MARATHON? who cares?! people are still dying here! people are still without power and food! if it's a money thing, then it makes even LESS sense. this city is BLEEDING financially every single waking day that our power is out and trains are inactive. something tells me that bloomberg's got a lot riding on this pony show, and we still have everything to lose. at least it's nice to see where his priorities are. god i really hope he finds some new patch of sand far, far away to dig his head into. his time is up here.

running a marathon in this city's state is like holding the olympics in the middle of the jungle without any light. if the environment around you is not sustainable enough to enjoy these kinds of comforts, nobody's going to care nor want it! this is a disillusioned mayor at his finest.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by uSNUUZuLUUz

Well stated. Local NY'ers, should have other family and friends that they can stay with no? If your first resort in an emergency is a hotel, then you have bigger problems. Do you put down HILTON as your emergency contact for your child's school? Do you put down SUPER 8, as your 2nd residence on your tax forms?

Let the runners coming from out of town, get their hotel room that has been reserved months if not years in advance. Why have laws? Why have order? in order to maintain solidarity and trust with everyone. Have those that were sheltered in hotels move to red cross camps, or to schools, or family and friends. Those coming from out of town, don't have any other contacts in NY except for that cold hotel room.

Yeah - - it is a "hard" way to look at it - - but NYC IS an International World Business that just happens to be in America. Its just NOT "local small town America".

Its not that I don't have compassion for storm victims - - - but the overall scope of the NYC International marathon is world wide GIANT! Its not just cancelling a race.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

same can be said on the Flipside of the coin. Can't drying out a basement wait 10 hours for the race to finish, and then back to sopping up towels? Wow so the subways closed and people had to GASP.. walk?? omg.

The race is here to lift everyone's spirits. The cleanup can wait for 10 hours. Rome was not built in a day. Cleanup can continue after this momentous occasion such as the NYC marathon.

People get really caught up in negative emotions or events. What happened HAPPENED. it was not the worst. nor the easiest. But that is what life gives us. And we are EXPECTED to rise over it.

So stand up, RISE. Lift one another up. & enjoy the race. Stop dwelling on problems, and complaining. LOOK UP. Enjoy LIFE while you still have it.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by uSNUUZuLUUz

How does a race raise spirits??? I live here in Chicago and the Chicago marathon does NOTHING for me, if anything, its annoying because they block off numerous streets for a couple days...

To assume that having this race go on will make citizens of NY happy is a big assumption... I bet you most could care less, they likely just want their city back

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join