It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hotel Owner refuses to evict Sandy evacuees for Marathoners

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
As most of you know, NYC is in chaos right now. Most residents have no power, many are homeless and some have died as a result of Sandy. One very hard hit area is the borough of Staten Island, where the NYC marathon begins.

Amidst this chaos, nanny Bloomberg decided that the NYC marathon must go on. There's an awful lot of $ at stake.

One hotel owner is standing up to the man and deserves recognition because he is refusing to oust his evacuees to honor marathoners reservations. If you could appreciate the devastation in Staten Island, you would understand what Bloomberg can't comprehend and why this hotel owner is a true hero.

www.ny1.com...
edit on 1-11-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Well... Bloomberg had as clean a slate as Obama to prove himself a man or a mouse. He squeaks.
So far Obama is doing a decent job. Day by day on this...it's a long long way from over given the sheer numbers and land area involved.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

I think what he is doing is the right thing, but I'm not sure where the brewing-battle is? He's the owner, refund the money for the reservations, case closed.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't want to turn this thread into a political debate, but so far Obama has done nothing except make speeches and promises (sound familiar?). I am on the ground and the only people helping in the devastated areas are LOCAL emergency service personnel. No FEMA, no Red Cross. Actually, some independent groups from other states are here helping and should also get some recognition. I saw one tractor trailer from Missouri and one from Tennessee.

edit on 1-11-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Tell them to run home??

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Instead of running a marathon,if those that were going to do it would instead help with relief efforts would be a good thing.
Or donate the money they would have spent.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

That's an awesome idea! Think what we could accomplish with all those able bodies.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

ssssurprised many of us when after such a Terrible, tragic Storm. The most important thing for Mr. Bloomberg to do was to ring the bell at the NYSE and still give the go-ahead to such a pointless Marathon. One Hotel owner now deserves such whole hearted praise as, "Congratulations Sir" At least you are re-inforcing 'HOPE .

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Awww a hotel with a heart....they won't last long in this cutthroat business, But I must say I respect them and think they are doing the right thing. Romney would probably not approve if he was sent in to fix their bottom line or whatever the heck he did to those companies he was hired for, what was that oh yeah financial consulting.
edit on 1-11-2012 by ldyserenity because: missing m

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by steaming

Exactly! And there really are more people like this guy, but the media doesn't like to let you know that.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Instead of running a marathon,if those that were going to do it would instead help with relief efforts would be a good thing.

Awesome idea... they can call it "The Race to Save New Yorkers" and the participants who hand out the most food, water, blankets, etc... win the Trophies!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I can understand the "Life goes on as usual, we are Tough New York City People" attitude but I also respect the hotel owner for taking care of people in need over visitors. Maybe if Bloomberg had thought it through a bit more he would see how they are not mutually exclusive and not end up with his foot in his mouth on this one. As far as who is there and working to help out and whether or not the Red Cross (to which I just donated last night for what happened) or FEMA is there, and if Obama is there and offering support vs only locals, all I can say is, almost ANYTHING they do is far more than happened with Katrina early on with that nincompoop Brown in control there under the Bush administration. FEMA isn't a Democratic Party partisan agency. And the RED CROSS is pretty well known for helping out all over the world. Putting them down seems a bit petty at this time. (Not done by the OP)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

FEMA won't be on site until 72 hours after the end of the storm. That's always been SOP for them, because it gives them a chance to get things rolling, and see what's needed, and early assessments are either done, or well underway at that point.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well... Bloomberg had as clean a slate as Obama to prove himself a man or a mouse. He squeaks.
So far Obama is doing a decent job. Day by day on this...it's a long long way from over given the sheer numbers and land area involved.

Huh? "So far Obama is doing a decent job."

Drudge Report - Page HERE and Story HERE

edit on 2-11-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I don't know anyone in New York who is happy about this decision and many are planning to boycott it. Runners are also withdrawing.

"The notion of diverting even one police officer, one first responder, one asset away from this carnage is beyond irrational,” Oddo told the Daily News. "The mayor said to me, 'We're not going to diminish what is happening on Staten Island.' You know what happens on marathons - you put a cop on every corner. How are we going to have enough resources?"

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Thanks for sharing!

A real hero~

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
well i guess the bright side of this could be lots of lean protein sources running through the city.

maybe bloomberg sees it that way, since he's such a humanitarian at heart.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

You are so right....This Hotel Owner is the Kind of Respectable Person In which the Media should Proudly Display

For this Marathon to be run with New York in such disarray is appalling...The resources that will be consumed with the running of the marathon should be used elsewhere.

SnF
edit on 2-11-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The hotel owner is a wonder person and should be supported long after this is all over.

Not being from the area, I didn't not even think about all the resources the marathon will take away from the people.
I thought it was just a bad idea when I first thought about it. Now? Just ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It just crosses my mind to add here...The city is in worse financial shape than ever, in it's history. Many are saying this as the most costly Natural disaster in U.S. history.

Might it not make sense for refugees to split space with event people coming in for the precious outside dollars New York City needs by almost any means? New York must be losing millions per day...and then some. Dollars that are desperately needed to rebuild all that has been totally destroyed.

It seems counter-productive to send away a major major event if they are still willing to try....when the trouble may be workable and the benefit, so very necessary for everyone in the City?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join