It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three days Since Sandy and New Yorkers are...dumpster diving for food?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

One thing I have read about Romney and Mormons is they are prepared, he is no stranger to this,

Here you go.

www.green-trust.org...

If this is the same one I have, somewhere, it's their prep manual kinda thing.

Even for a non believer it's a useful guide.

Oh and 3 days without shops and you're short of food and clothes?? Really?

edit on 2-11-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
The poor are being left without help, whilst the rich are trying to set up a marathon. Its an absolute joke.

The city is going to need funds more then ever. The race brings in a lot of money to the city.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

I as like many others feel very sorry at what we are seeing & hearing in America over the last few days, but it has woken people up to what can and will happen in any area of the world.
America got about 7 days notice to get ready for that storm from both weather stations, government agencies, they were told to get ready for a bad storm.
And guess what? only about 15% of people got ready, got tin foods and bottled water in, the rest said o no this is simply not going to be that bad, so decided not to prepare.
They have even found they all forgot to even put fuel in the car tanks, they have no food in the house or car to eat, forgot to prepare for everything that they may have got to help them in this time.
They forgot to buy gas portable heaters, or gas food and water heaters, need I say more?
What I am saying is you never know what will happen, ask yourself are YOU prepared?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by Char-Lee

I am thinking the majority of the city is fine and that is why they did not cancel the famous and $$ bringing marathon

Considering it is slated to begin on Staten Island, I understand their resentment about it. There is some heating up debate about that. Staten Island is the "forgotten" part of New York when it comes to the coffers. That is proving out in this recovery period. But a "marathon", really?

If people put their food in the 5 gallon buckets that you get at the hardware store with water tight snap lids and especially get survival bars that are for food not fun they will like be ok.

Yah, they all had time (and money?] to prepare, some thought the official downgrade of the storm to "tropical" status and their placement outside the potential flood zone allowed them to relax. They were in Zone "B" after all, the "flood safe zone".

Now if you are going to hoard your emergency rations when those around you are hungry...okay. I'd move after that though. From then on you will carry a stigma and nobody will help you in the least; even for a ride to pick up the kids when your car is in the shop. So yah, share and share alike. You'll be a hero.

People who are coming for the race prepare a year or more for it.

www.ready.gov...

Our government nearly every agency of it has asked us and warned us over and over in so many ways I can't count to please prepare the basics. EVERYONE unless you are homeless should have done so long ago!

WHY WILL NO ONE LISTEN?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

I hear exactly what your are saying. I have a friend who spent a week without electric after Irene. So here comes Sandy. My friend did nothing! I even asked days before, are you ready and she said yes. She never tried her generator- guess what it is broken. Never filled up the vehicles, never filled up the gas cans. I don't get it. I was once snowed in for days, almost a week. Prior to the storm I got groceries, gas, candles all that simple stuff. We made it just fine. Why do people think they are above being harmed? I maybe disappointed in the actions of people not preparing but I will continue to see where I can help.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I understand completely about people unable to buy extra food. However, as another poster pointed out, just buy one or two extra things each time you go to the grocery store. Things that, even if they got wet, would still be okay. Canned goods that don't need to be cooked, and lots of peanut butter. Also, as has been stated, fill up empty jugs with water and a few drops of bleach every week or so. It adds up.

This is what I tell my daughter, now on her own and living paycheck to paycheck. She says her pantry is bare, but I also know that she goes out for lunch with co-workers, and that has to add up to at least $7 each day she does it. She also lives in a tiny apartment, but if it's important enough, you'll find the room.

I've been doing this for a year and a half now, and I can be cut off from the world for over two months and still have food and water.

This is a very sad state of events on the east coast. Hopefully some good will come of it by teaching people to prepare as common practice, and not wait until the day before a disaster is set to strike.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by manykapao

We New Yorkers are just trying to feel special because it hit home.....yes. Because the NYSE is nothing and millions of people are not as important. yes, we are drama queens here......

I doubt anyone here means it like it is being taken. Or at least most do not.

I am on the west coast US and I fully expect we will "get ours soon".

We have had government disaster meetings and the towns are all planning and they have begged us all to plan too!

I think we are all going to be in the same boat soon. I doubt there is a person here who would not take their own food cloths and blankets to the ones who need them if they could.

The main thing is for people to start realizing things are changing, storms are going to get stronger and more frequent we all need to be ready. If each of us acts responsibly it will help the whole.

I know there are people suffering and I certainly care. Especially for the children of parents who did not prepare and those who chose when they had a choice to remain on the waterfronts and islands.

The ones who are just spoiled and whinny make it hard for the ones who have true need and are suffering.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

sure money.

Every person taken of relief and reconstruction will make it take longer for NY to recover. That will cost more money. Just in small businesses that were ruined by this. They will not buy or sell merchandise. They will not pay rent. People will move out and leave entire neighborhoods vacant. That will cost much more than the few million this race "might" bring in for causes NY doesn't see a dime of. I am not saying cancer research and other such charitable works are not important, BUT NYC IS A DISASTER ZONE!

Out of respect for the dead, for those homeless, put things into perspective. You can't host a charitable event when your people are cold and hungry. Sorry for the inconvenience but NY is in no shape to be altruistic. We need bricks, muscle, cops, rescuers, EMT´s and everything else.

Again, this is like asking New Orleans to host Mardi Gras a couple days after Katrina. Just Insane!

We need time to morn our loss. We need time to rebuild. TIME TO FIND PEOPLE IN NEED OF LIFE OR DEATH HELP.

Priorities dictate that we save as many people as possible before we raise money for acts of good.

Money.....!?!

We need to help those people that are going to die if nothing is done. Every person and dollar counts. They come first. Not your year of training. Sucks to be a cold, hungry NYer in the dark more than someone out a couple grand in fitness merchandise and time.

edit on 2-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Debris is everywhere just under the surface. Falling in an open manhole might be hard on the shins.

You know that happened here just last year, a young girl fell through the flooded street through a manhole, she died.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
People need to learn humility sometimes. Be happy these people are diving in dumpsters instead of robbing other people. I actually respect these people for their honesty and morals, I know some people who would take a gun and rob someone's food. Some of these people are well to do in society.

Unfortunatly,

I think the latter is only a matter of time,

Unless, they get some help out there.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by manykapao

sure money.

Every person taken of relief and reconstruction will make it take longer for NY to recover. That will cost more money. Just in small businesses that were ruined by this. They will not buy or sell merchandise. They will not pay rent. People will move out and leave entire neighborhoods vacant. That will cost much more than the few million this race "might" bring in for causes NY doesn't see a dime of. I am not saying cancer research and other such charitable works are not important, BUT NYC IS A DISASTER ZONE!

Out of respect for the dead, for those homeless, put things into perspective. You can't host a charitable event when your people are cold and hungry. Sorry for the inconvenience but NY is in no shape to be altruistic. We need bricks, muscle, cops, rescuers, EMT´s and everything else.

Again, this is like asking New Orleans to host Mardi Gras a couple days after Katrina. Just Insane!

We need time to morn our loss. We need time to rebuild. TIME TO FIND PEOPLE IN NEED OF LIFE OR DEATH HELP.

Priorities dictate that we save as many people as possible before we raise money for acts of good.

Money.....!?!

We need to help those people that are going to die if nothing is done. Every person and dollar counts. They come first. Not your year of training. Sucks to be a cold, hungry NYer in the dark more than someone out a couple grand in fitness merchandise and time.

edit on 2-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

I understand what you are saying and I am an not an expert but as small business owners I think if a large thing like this were canceled it would be a huge economical disaster.

The hotels with the reservations the food that is sold all the stuff that happened goes to the people of the city.

They are all going to lose huge amounts already and it may ruin some businesses.

You could be right the 70 I think last count dead in a city of millions maybe all should stop to mourn, but I always heard NYC is not like that, the city never stops for anything?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
IMO some of you should get your heads out of your asses. You have NO idea what youre talking about and absolutely REFUSE to educate yourselves. Tell ya what, since you know it all, why dont you go and show those dumb East Coasters how its done. I mean, youve been on here spewing "advise" all day.. hours and hours.. its not like you have anything pressing in your lives to prevent you from putting your money where your mouth is. Hop a bus, drive, take a train, go show them how its really done. Dispense your advise. Tell them how dumb they are and how they should have done it. Show them how to to do it. Oh, cant reach them.. WALK through the flooding and debris then. Get to it. Chop, chop.
God Ive lost complete respect for some of you. Look up the word HUBRIS before you take off though..

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Nevermind..

edit on 2-11-2012 by Digital_Reality because: Moved on.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
IMO some of you should get your heads out of your asses. You have NO idea what youre talking about and absolutely REFUSE to educate yourselves. Tell ya what, since you know it all, why dont you go and show those dumb East Coasters how its done. I mean, youve been on here spewing "advise" all day.. hours and hours.. its not like you have anything pressing in your lives to prevent you from putting your money where your mouth is. Hop a bus, drive, take a train, go show them how its really done. Dispense your advise. Tell them how dumb they are and how they should have done it. Show them how to to do it. Oh, cant reach them.. WALK through the flooding and debris then. Get to it. Chop, chop.
God Ive lost complete respect for some of you. Look up the word HUBRIS before you take off though..

Not many people alive very long that have not been through a natural or otherwise disaster and have a right to give advice. Is it the spelling error that troubles you?

I mean, youve been on here spewing "advise" all day.. hours and hours.. its not like you have anything pressing in your lives

Can't imagine why that would anger anyone. You have a problem with anyone spending their day on on this site? why?

No need to tell them how dumb they are all the warnings went out dramatically for a week in advance they already know that now.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
“We’re going to die! We’re going to freeze! We got 90-year-old people!” Donna Solli told visiting officials. “You don’t understand. You gotta get your trucks down here on the corner now. It’s been three days!”

abcnews.go.com...

"We`re going to diet!" surely.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's a city, there are hardly any wild crops growing or fruit/vegetables to eat. If someone doesn't have access to their home where all their food is, and they don't have access to their clothes either.. and they have a baby and their very old grandparent with them..

well, what do you expect? God people show some compassion.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Gonna chime in here also.
This has to be totally misleading..simply has to be.
3 days of no power and people are dumpster diving? what did they have in their stockpile? a single tomato and a number to the local pizza parlor as their entire kitchen set?

They had days to prepare..if they couldn't pick up a box of cereal (you can eat it without milk come to find out) or a few cans of tuna, they probably either don't deserve to live, or need to seek out a shelter due to being homeless to begin with.

Sorry about the cold hard facts. Food isn't difficult to get in society. This isn't ethopia, if you were to =stupid= to go get a few extra provisions before the storm hit..go down the street and ask your neighbors to borrow a bit of food until you stop being a retard

If this was a month later and fema/red cross was nowhere in sight, then it could be seen as credible...but ya..the BS meter is peaking for me here. I think its just some mag trying to find a cool story.

Tomorrow I guess everyone will resort to cannibalism and baby on a pike economics.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
It's a city, there are hardly any wild crops growing or fruit/vegetables to eat. If someone doesn't have access to their home where all their food is, and they don't have access to their clothes either.. and they have a baby and their very old grandparent with them..

well, what do you expect? God people show some compassion.

I expect them to go to one of the many shelters.

But thats just me...

having a functioning brain....

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Well, I feel I can weigh in on this subject. I am sitting on the east coast, Florida.
Hurricanes are pretty standard here. Going without power for weeks isn't unexpected.
I never resorted to panic, nor even hunting down squirrels. Its called being prepared. Sure, you can't eat ice cream readily, but so long as you have some canned goods and access to a gril and pot, your fine.

If your officials are saying, hey..a bigass storm is coming, prepare yourself for extended periods of no power...its best to..you know..prepare yourself for extended periods of no power.
Not to say it doesn't suck. But frankly, my longest time without power (about a month). The only emergency I found was lack of stuff to do...such as reading material.

its been 3 days.

consider that. 3 days. there isn't bodies floating down the street, this isn't katrina with millions displaced..its people without power and some people whom lost their homes (they have a right to bitch btw..if your home got swallowed up, you officially have the right to gripe). But for the rest of them, they are just being either moaners that they are missing the latest X-factor, or chose not to prepare.
I don't mean to sound heartless...I really am not..but come on...survival instinct needs to kick in before tshtf and get to the supermarket before the emergency.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I have to agree with you Char-Lee, cancelling the race could put some businesses out of business. A lot of people have supply orders that can't be cancelled, this is nothing for a big business but can be devistating for a small one who planned for it.

I still think the race should be cancelled though. If I took risks in my businesses over and above what I could afford and banked my future on one event, I would understand where I messed up. There are too many risktakers in this country, willing to put everything on line for one time. Businesses go under for that all the time, it could have made them a lot of money also. A conservative business would not put more than they could afford into this event, they will survive. Maybe people will have to learn not to count their chickens before they hatch.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join