It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three days Since Sandy and New Yorkers are...dumpster diving for food?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
People need to learn humility sometimes. Be happy these people are diving in dumpsters instead of robbing other people. I actually respect these people for their honesty and morals, I know some people who would take a gun and rob someone's food. Some of these people are well to do in society.

This is only because of the stupid gun laws in NY/NJ prevent anyone from having guns, along with everyone else not having food. This area of the country is a morally bankrupt vacuum, and hopefully the rest of the country will learn from their example. Not helping a mother who's children were swept away, that is the NY I know.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I'm throwing the big old yellow 'bullshirt' flag on this story. If you look at the 'starving' people in the story . . . well none look 'starving' nor do they look like the elements have ravaged them in any way. That's not to say their homes aren't messed up or their lives aren't upside down right now, but they're clearly not starving. The reporter is really really really stretching . . . heartbreaking . . . I really don't think so. Heartbreaking is what happens on a daily basis when a kid has to go without breakfast and shuffle off to school after sleeping in a friggin' box or the back seat of a car . . . but nobody gives a floating turd about that. Take a close look at what's going on in the clip . . . right off the hop, their's a woman in the left side of the screen who's nails look amazingly manicured . . . the person sitting side saddle on the dumpster is wearing rather decent shoes, has an umbrella to keep dry and is only picking through the stuff with one hand lest they drop their cigarette. The handful of people at the doors of the dumpster . . . well . . . more than one of them could benefit from missing a meal or two. Hell . . . even one of them is using their cell phone or pocket camera to commemorate the event . . . Heartbreaking my ASS.

If this reporter was worth anything, he'd have gotten off the paved streets and gone and found some real heartbreaking story in that disaster . . . and there are probably countless . . . this just ain't one of them.

In my opinion, anyway.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I doubt the people are actually starving after 3 days. However, I can easily see how they could run out of food so quickly. The power went out and their cold food has spoiled. Square footage is expensive in NY, so most have very little space to store dry foods and survival supplies. Those that do have the storage space are mostly due to them having basements; and most of those basements flooded.

No emergency food supplies + no grocery stores = resorting to dumpster diving

My heart goes out to those affected by the storm. I hope emergency workers get there with food very soon or this situation could devolve into mass chaos/violence very quickly.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

After around three days, the body enters a starvation mode, it then starts processing fats to feed the body. If you don't have any fat reserves or the fat is corrupted with too much chemicals and welded shut, the body will not use it. People with this chemical laden fat may also get sick or have histamine reactions if it is utilized causing many sorts of events in the body, some deadly. People need to start eating more natural if they want their bodies to work properly in these events. When getting rid of fats, the fat's byproduct is released through the lungs so the body speeds up breathing to expel the extra CO2.

A person can go a month without food if the body is working right without the muscle being cannibalized too badly. Sorry to say, the food we are consuming is making survival in a situation like this hard if there is no food. The body will reduce output when in starvation mode, this means that a lot of energy is hard to obtain unless the body is trained to utilize it.

Some people do the three day fast at least once a year, this is good, these people are aware of how it works. Ask someone who does this how the body reacts, I do not personally know. My father did it but I only did one day fasts when I was young. After the body fasts, it heals up very fast also. That's something I know about but have never researched the exact cause of what happens in the body.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Its sad to see people begging for help and not getting any.
What happened to love thy neighbor?

Cnn Video

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is what happens when you put 8+ million people in a confined area. Hard enough to get the supplies to them when there's not been a disaster. Spread out a little folks, North & South Dakota is damn near empty.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Seriously? you can't go without a supermarket for three days?
Digging through dumpsters for food because they are "starving", after only THREE days?
And they say survivalists are the crazies. HA! I bet most of us could go at least a year without a supermarket!

There are over 8 million people living in NYC alone, not counting the rest of Long Island. If supermarkets do not get deliveries from 18 wheelers every 8 hours shortages begin to happen, so yes it's very feasible you would be dumpster diving even within 2 days after Sandy. Being a survivalist is easier when you're out in the wilds with no one to take care of but yourself, with little competition for food. Give new yorkers some slack, they'll be eating eachother in 2 weeks if the food supply isn't restored. That's one huge reason i live in a small rural town, and have a huge ass yard i can plant crops in.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
People surviving by any means necessary I don't see whats wrong?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

Originally posted by rickymouse
People need to learn humility sometimes. Be happy these people are diving in dumpsters instead of robbing other people. I actually respect these people for their honesty and morals, I know some people who would take a gun and rob someone's food. Some of these people are well to do in society.
Maybe they should have prepared better instead of blowing money at the movies or on stupid large screen tv's or whatever other crap they buy on credit to keep up with the Joneses'?
C'mon man...three days??

At the risk of sounding heartless, I have to agree somewhat with this. These people had plenty of warning about this, more than they would have had in previous decades. They knew this was coming right for them days before it did, and many chose to stay in the line of fire.

I've started a thread before on this very subject.

"No one came to help us" - Most people are not prepared

It is upsetting to see so many struggling and suffering, but I have to ask where the personal responsibility comes into it? At what point does someone decide that they have to be prepared themselves and stop just assuming that the state will be there ready with a bed, three meals a day and a replacement wardrobe?

If I lived there, although I was sceptical of the power of this before it hit, I would have left, but if I couldn't have left, I would have ensured that I prepared for flooding and wind damage.

It doesn't take remarkable foresight to know that these places would face major problems after the storm as well as during it. So why have all these people completely failed to prepare for it?

I can understand it in a poverty stricken region, but these people are not poor, they could have prepared, and they CHOSE not to.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Gee wasn't it just yesterday that an Obama supporter was lam blasting Romney for having a food drive that included canned food? All donations, even if the almighty Red Cross doesn't agree, are appreciated by those truly in need. In fact many folks that will not donate cash, will often very easily reach in their cupboard and grab an old can of sauerkraut or baked beans. Something that would come in very handy just about now. Food, any food that wasn't in a garbage dumpster.

Ok so some folks weren't too bright about storm preparations. Not every one can be... So lets just move ahead. I for one would love to see a food drive in my area. I will check with the local church to see if any are planned. I may not be religious, but the church does teach something I agree with. Compassion for your fellow man.

edit on 2-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ApolloBloodline

Nature can't feed people anymore, oil does.
We would wipe out all the animals if we depended on nature to survive, so feed yourself, nature can't sustain everyone else.

That's something the survivalists don't think about, all those other guys trying to survive and competing.
Perhaps if 90-95% of the population was wiped right away, otherwise nature could not sustain us.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

So how exactly can you hoard weeks-months worth of food if you are poor and own no car??
There is no way i could even do it. And with a hour walk to supermarket it would not be easy to carry more than a couple of days worth of food and supplies.
Some of these people are very old and retired who are probably also rather poor.

And it says something about you as a person if you actually laugh about people having to dig through trash just to feed themselves.
edit on 2-11-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This for me has been one of the my saddest reads on ATS. The level of compassion expressed by some members "WTF". There for the grace of the" big guy" go I. Breath deep positive energy, I really feel like ripping some freekin pea brain heads off right about know. STORM SURGE will get you every time, these people did not have a clue what they were in for. We saw a very similar situation with Hurricane Isabelle in the Mid-Atlantic region almost 10 years ago. Not a lot talk about storm surge and bam over night 8 foot surge, the rest is History. You just do not know unless you have experienced it. The smell of fuel oil, and the mud, your home gone.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Whatever these people had stored away you know, for a rainy day...

They can't even drive anywhere. Maybe they call a cab?

A bus?

Okay, we're walking... wait. Your kidding, right?

Thank you for providing a voice of reason. Or pictures in this case. It never ceases to amaze me how many willfully arrogant egotistical people there are living amongst us.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

So how exactly can you hoard weeks-months worth of food if you are poor and own no car??
There is no way i could even do it. And with a hour walk to supermarket it would not be easy to carry more than a couple of days worth of food and supplies.
Some of these people are very old and retired who are probably also rather poor.

And it says something about you as a person if you actually laugh about people having to dig through trash just to feed themselves.
edit on 2-11-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

Ramen is cheap, light weight, stores easily, and is prepared with ease. You have to want to help yourself before you will figure out how you can do it. Some people will just use excuses instead of finding solutions. It would cost the average person around $5 to keep a week supply of Ramen on hand, and you even have the luxury of selecting different flavors.
I know Ramen isn't the best choice for a food source for a week, but it would be a welcome meal if you were starving.

edit on 11/2/2012 by SpaDe_ because: ...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

Who's laughing now?

Who was laughing in the first place? I doubt that the situation nyc is in has ever been a laughing matter.
I bet youve rubbed a few out while watching the news huh?
Dumbass.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It's not uncommon in most parts of the New York metro area for people to routinely buy only 2-3 days worth of food. Many don't have cars, they ride the subway/mass transit. So they buy one or two bags from the grocery store down the street from or at the bottom floor of their building they live in every two or three days. You also have to carry groceries upstairs (or in an elevator) and then put them in your (very likely) small apartment...where storage space is at a premium. Try hauling 2 weeks of food and bottled water home on the crowded subway, then leave it on the sidewalk while you carry a bag/box or two upstairs one at a time.

This isn't an excuse for lack of prepardness, but it CERTAINLY makes the prep problem much more difficult.

In suburb middle America, many of us have cars, we drive to SAMs, COSTCO, Wal Mart, Meijer, Target, etc....buy food from anywhere for 1-4 weeks, filling 1-2 shopping carts...drive them home, where we take an hour to unload the haul....mainly because we don't want to pay for the fuel to run to the store every other day.

I am not "prepared" in the survival sense of the word, I don't have freeze dried or MREs stacked, but typically I have 1-3 weeks on hand just because it's easier, cheaper (gas) and time saving to shop once or twice a month. I can easily "bug in" and not worry about food for awhile.

However; if i lived in an area like NY, or ever thought bugging out was going to have to be my main option (where I live, for every disaster short of Nuclear/Chem war bugging in is the best bet)....I would look at this....a bit expensive, but one or two of these backpaks would be vital.

foodinsurance.com...

edit on 2-11-2012 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ApolloBloodline

There's no F-ing wilderness around there, take a look at a map online, NYC IS HUGE, it takes hours just to DRIVE through it...w/o traffic...there are no unpopulated areas within probably 2-3 days of walking. I'm sure they didn't think the power would be off this long, or that everything would still be flooded, to take a gamble at a 2 day hike to MAYBE find this alleged wilderness you speak of.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
GOOOOD GRIEF PEOPLE really....all I hear is whining, whining about how bad this storm was when we get hit with cat3 and 4 storms every other year, and get very little mention. We had fireslast year with little to no help and made it. I am sorry but crap, tighten up the belts and drive on.....
on a lighter note is this why the military was evacuating east coast bases a week before the storm formed???
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Now that is a conspiracy.... Love and Prayers to those affected but 50 mph winds is mild gusts here in Texas. Hurricane Rita was sustained 125mph winds.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
More than half of Staten Island was without power as of late last night, with many houses damaged, they have more deaths than the other boroughs, a few less than the other 4 combined. You have people without cars, no public transportation is active for them, no one has come to help them. It's easy to talk as a person who knows basics of survival if SHTF, but not everyone is lucky to stumble upon ATS to learn a thing or two. Staten Island is 40 short New York blocks and a bridge away from me, I wish I could be over there helping the people without food, clothing, and proper shelter as I would want someone to help my family no mateer how much we've prepared with food, water, and our necessities.

Have fun laughing and be happy you aren't out here, I'd be glad to take your food and supplies for these people in need.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join