It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three days Since Sandy and New Yorkers are...dumpster diving for food?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I agree that alot of these people probably need to be a little more prepared for situations like this. Also i believe they had a far amount of warning before Sandy hit, now granted there wasn't alot of food left due to everybody rushing in and buying everything up. But i don't agree with saying that they are not laughing now, and they wont think "us" crazy anymore. I thought that what made this country so great was that we came together in times of need and help one another, cause we know the GOV is pretty slow in situations like this. Not everyone that is there and having to go through this is a bad person that would go and rob and steal from their neighbors. These people are going through a hard time and they need all the support they can get. Just my thoughts on it!

Much love
RangerClark29

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
The Red Cross has a DONATE button on my Yahoo. They collect billions of dollars during and after every disaster. So can any poster list the current Red Cross sites that are set up to hand out food, water and blankets? Must not be too well known where they RC is or people wouldn't be Dumpster Diving already.

This is the problem with most of society today, dependent on the RC or big daddy government to come and "save" them.
Maybe after this they will be a little more self sufficient.
This is what happened in New Orleans after Katrina, all the governments babies were left "stranded' waiting on big daddy to come and save them.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Thunderheart because: to add the katrina bit.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
That just seems so strange to me. I am not a survivalist/prepper/ect... by any stretch, but I can't imagine the average family doesn't have at least a week or more worth of food in their fridge and pantry? I mean I can see if they lost their home due to the flooding, that makes more sense.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
They sure censored the State Secret I posted above pretty quick didn't they?

Appears the Gov. does monitor this site.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ApolloBloodline

ahhhhh, that's a good one, you do realize its Staten island right? You have had basic geography right?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Is there an appropriate time period after a disaster to begin dumpster diving? Maybe they are the smart ones, ya know? The early bird gets the worm.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
They sure censored the State Secret I posted above pretty quick didn't they?

Appears the Gov. does monitor this site.
I must have missed what you posted, can you U2 it to me please?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

3 days might seem a bit soon, but if your not a survivalist and had nothing to eat for 3 days and no clue when the shops will be open again maybe getting what ever food you can in the meantime might seem like a good idea at the time.

some people are more than likely diabetic also or have some other form of disability that means without food they are more at risk I feel sorry for those people.
edit on 1-11-2012 by lifeform11 because: typo

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
Is there an appropriate time period after a disaster to begin dumpster diving? Maybe they are the smart ones, ya know? The early bird gets the worm.

The question is why do they HAVE to go dumpster diving at all? Shouldn't they have a basic stock to last them a few weeks stored up?
All the gold in the bank or in their safe will not feed a hungry mouth. Gold is worthless in these situations.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

The Red Cross has a DONATE button on my Yahoo. They collect billions of dollars during and after every disaster. So can any poster list the current Red Cross sites that are set up to hand out food, water and blankets? Must not be too well known where they RC is or people wouldn't be Dumpster Diving already.

This is the problem with most of society today, dependent on the RC or big daddy government to come and "save" them.
This is what happened in New Orleans after Katrina, all the governments babies were left "stranded' waiting on big daddy to come and save them.

Don't misundertake me. I am just talking about how the Red Freaking Cross is always milliseconds after an event in full on donation collection mode. Just wondering if anyone had seen hide or hair of them in lo these four days, that's all.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

No, obviously they are not. Most people are not. When I talk to people about fasting, whenever the subject comes up, they look at me like Im nuts, and that its absolutely loony to go without food for more than 4 to 6 hours. Not that Im NOT nuts, but in this particular avenue of thought, Im not

You can go for a very, very long time without eating and NOT be starving. Starvation is when your body, after running out of glucose (2-3 days), and then running out 90+% of fat reserves (for the average fat ass american, probably at least 2 months), finally starts consuming non-essential flesh that can be broken down into immediately usable energy, for instance, muscle and bits of organs. THAT is starvation. What these societal dependents are feeling is the CONTRACTION of their GI tracts that are finally, after decades of abuse, finally getting a chance to REST.

Oh, they arnt guaranteed another meal for maybe at least a couple days... better start eating grass and pebbles to keep that stomach expanded to avoid the mild discomfort of a contracting GI tract. God forbid a person feels a touch hungry and cranky for a bit.

And FFS, if you are cold, wrap up in a blanket. Im sure the second story of their houses were not flooded; put on some extra clothing.
edit on 11/1/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Where is the external relief? There should be ships full of aid on the way by now, no?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Reply to post by Thunderheart

I can only guess as to why they wouldn't have food stocked. Maybe they dont cook and eat out on a daily basis. Maybe their apartments were so small that they save space by not stocking their pantries.
I really don't know.

link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Where is the external relief? There should be ships full of aid on the way by now, no?

How about
"WHERE IS OBAMA?"

link   

Depending on the Red Cross is not a good idea...S taten Island Fury, Official Blasts Red Cross

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
reply to post by intrptr

No, obviously they are not. Most people are not. When I talk to people about fasting, whenever the subject comes up, they look at me like Im nuts, and that its absolutely loony to go without food for more than 4 to 6 hours. Not that Im NOT nuts, but in this particular avenue of thought, Im not

You can go for a very, very long time without eating and NOT be starving. Starvation is when your body, after running out of glucose (2-3 days), and then running out 90+% of fat reserves (for the average fat ass american, probably at least 2 months), finally starts consuming non-essential flesh that can be broken down into immediately usable energy, for instance, muscle and bits of organs. THAT is starvation. What these societal dependents are feeling is the CONTRACTION of their GI tracts that are finally, after decades of abuse, finally getting a chance to REST.

Oh, they arnt guaranteed another meal for maybe at least a couple days... better start eating grass and pebbles to keep that stomach expanded to avoid the mild discomfort of a contracting GI tract. God forbid a person feels a touch hungry and cranky for a bit.

And FFS, if you are cold, wrap up in a blanket. Im sure the second story of their houses were not flooded; put on some extra clothing.
edit on 11/1/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

Funny you should mention that.
Back in my early days on ATS.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Its a sad reality yes .. not surprising at all
hope nobody will get arrested this time for dumpster diving ..

need to link this thread to yours
sorry in advance if you go angry after reading it

There should be a new Law against Throwing Food in the Trash Bin ..
(Very Shocking Pictures)

edit on 11/1/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod

The question is why do they HAVE to go dumpster diving at all? Shouldn't they have a basic stock to last them a few weeks stored up?
All the gold in the bank or in their safe will not feed a hungry mouth. Gold is worthless in these situations.

it should be no surprise that some people do not prepare, and no surprise that more and more a lot of people can not afford to stock up. what food they did have is probably not edible or they only had a bit left and hoped for the best. with electricity going out frozen food would of defrosted and if you have an electric cooker you're unable to cook.

eating the food in the dumpsters that has not long been thrown out i would imagine is better than eating food out of dumpsters that has been there for over a week. best to eat it whilst it is fresh dumpster food.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Really REALLY hope there's no zombie apocalypse.

you dont need dead walking corpses eating people
living hungry people will turn on each other to survive
if they dont have food to eat

its in our human DNA to survive .. but at what point
cannibalism ? hope NYC doesnt turn into such city
where people eats people to survive

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Whatever these people had stored away you know, for a rainy day...

They can't even drive anywhere. Maybe they call a cab?

A bus?

Okay, we're walking... wait. Your kidding, right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join