It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three days Since Sandy and New Yorkers are...dumpster diving for food?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by intrptr

Oh they would find a use for them. There are gas stations that have fuel but no power to pump it. Where were they hiding those anyway? Hidden resources. Now they can distribute them, the marathon is Kaput.

That is the question I raise,so the is no power for the gas stations that still have gas,were are the generators for them?????

This pic was taken today... they are right here in Central park. The media ownns these, I think. I believe they were to be slated for their "event tents". They have Helos and generators, plus power distribution equipment just sitting around in Central Park? Okaaay...

usnews.nbcnews.com...
edit on 2-11-2012 by intrptr because: link

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

reply to post by intrptr

Oh they would find a use for them. There are gas stations that have fuel but no power to pump it. Where were they hiding those anyway? Hidden resources. Now they can distribute them, the marathon is Kaput.

That is the question I raise,so the is no power for the gas stations that still have gas,were are the generators for them?????

This pic was taken today... they are right here in Central park. The media ownns these, I think. I believe they were to be slated for their "event tents". They have Helos and generators, plus power distribution equipment just sitting around in Central Park? Okaaay...

My response to that is utter disgust.

Have we seen these yet?

edit on 2-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
Wow, just heard on the weather channel, people are throwing eggs at the People trying to repair the power lines, saying they are not doing it fast enough! This is in Connecticut. Seriously, this is a big job, and they are out there working, and getting hit with eggs ? WOW

This is one of my problems. the official sources get no credit at all for what they DO and accomplish or even the fact of the early warnings. People are so fast to complain but when the exhausted emergency crews help they don't get a thanks just why was it not sooner.

The Government has stated please be prepared because we cannot get to everyone immediately in a large disaster. How more clear can you get, where are the churches and people in each area? I know hundreds of shelters opened long before the storm.

www.nyc.gov...

www.ready.gov...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by amatrine
Wow, just heard on the weather channel, people are throwing eggs at the People trying to repair the power lines, saying they are not doing it fast enough! This is in Connecticut. Seriously, this is a big job, and they are out there working, and getting hit with eggs ? WOW

This is one of my problems. the official sources get no credit at all for what they DO and accomplish or even the fact of the early warnings. People are so fast to complain but when the exhausted emergency crews help they don't get a thanks just why was it not sooner.

The Government has stated please be prepared because we cannot get to everyone immediately in a large disaster. How more clear can you get, where are the churches and people in each area? I know hundreds of shelters opened long before the storm.

www.nyc.gov...

www.ready.gov...

How stupid! I can't believe this. I never lost power during Isaac but my next door neighbors did, they didn't have power for over a week, and mostly all that happened here was transformers blew, lots of transformers blew, maybe a tree fell over on some wires etc.. People down here were aggravated they were without power for so long, but no one threw eggs at the power workers!

I was REALLY annoyed my internet went out, I live in an apartment the people across the hall had internet through the same company I did, their internet was working, after calling AT&T every day for a week they told me they couldn't send anyone out because I was under water!! It never flooded here for Isaac. I wouldn't be worried about internet if I was under water, and did they honestly think I was floating on a raft calling them? 2 weeks and 3 days till they fixed my internet, and Sandy was much worse than Isaac.

First world problems!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by milominderbinder

Originally posted by elrem48

Actually there is no one that I know that is laughing at the situation.
A learning experience,yes,but a tragedy none the less.

You've got that right! I've been without power from Monday until 2 hours ago, and there are some heartwrenching situations going on around my area. However, in my town on one street alone, two liquor stores and two convenience stores got robbed on Tuesday night because there was no power which created the opportunity for certain types of individuals to take full advantage of the situation. I'm sure this is typical anywhere and anytime the "opportunity" might present itself!

Yeah...but honestly...so what? That's what insurance is for...those business owners aren't out any more or less than what they were before and their insurance company will jerk them around just the same.

Admittedly, it's harder to "excuse" robbing a liquor store, but remember...vodka is not only a beverage...it's a disinfectant and antiseptic too and will even work like lighter fluid to start a charcoal grill in a pinch. As for the convenience store? Screw it. Anybody on planet earth that says they wouldn't take some desperately needed supplies from an unstaffed convenience store to feed or medicate their children or loved ones in a disaster is either lying or they are a terrible, terrible parent. I don't really count that as "stealing" so much as "surviving".

It's wonderful to surmise the reason being as you stated, unfortunately I found out from a very good source that the thieves were 19 year old boys who stole liquor and cigarettes to resell....that is not for survival, unless you count their known heroin addictions!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

One more reason why I stock up on food for a year. Stuff like this happen, and then it every man for himself.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

This whole situation is very telling of what will happen if the SHTF. The rich are fine, the show goes on, and the poor live like it's a third world country while the rest of the united states doesn't see the real truth.

People in cities like that do not store away food. They can't afford it most times.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I think the breakdown would occurr even more quickly then people estimate. Imagine a distaster that span an entire state, with millions out of places to sleep, eat and function.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
People have to start listening to FEMA. It has been stated over and over that people need to have a minimum of three days food and water on hand, no matter where you live. Disaster can happen anywhere, even in the most safe place in the country. This preparedness means people have to have food they can prepare so having something to cook with is crucial unless the food is canned and ready to eat. You also need a can opener that doesn't use power to operate.

How come these people are hungry? Were they counting solely on their generators? Couldn't they buy a coleman stove and some white gas and keep it in their home, stored in a closet or under a bed? A generator should only be run a few hours a day to keep the fridge and freezer from getting warm. There is no way that a person can have enough gas in reserve to power a big generator all day long, the corn gas goes bad with age. Water can also screw up a generator, more than one system is needed. I have at least three ways of cooking in my house.

It is good to practice for an emergency, kill all the power and heat for a day and experience what happens. You need to try to prepare foods and clean up, learning to do this in an emergency would suck as you discover that you did not have what you need.

There should be disaster training and preparedness taught in school and parents should be invited to this class also. I am older, I remember preparedness of families in the early sixties for extended outages. Most of the people in their twenties and thirties never experienced this, things have been good in most of the country for many years except for a few disasters. The last six years have been an eyeopener for people everywhere though, and it is expected tot stay the same in the future if not getting worse.

My words will just pass by those who do not believe that this is possible where they live. A severe storm can hit anywhere. Everyone should be prepared not for three days, for a week at least. Watch how long it will take the East Coast to get things back on line. It is not the responsibility of our government to get food to us immediately, it is our own responsibility to fend for ourselves. FEMA and other agencies take time to get organized and the main concern will be to find injured people, not feed people who did not feel they did not need to prepare. Also remember that your food can be destroyed by these events, having a coop agreement with friends and relatives is important, so a two week supply for everyone will last maybe a week if some people lose their food and water to a disaster. Count on your relationships with others. Our government can help when they can. We are lucky they can help at all, they are so broke that soon they may not be able to do anything at all.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

I kind of agree, but not in the assholish way you stated it.

These people did get spared the bigger damage of a cat 3-5 storm, but the damage they received from this tropical system might be worse because of the flooding involved with depressions. This one pushed a huge surge with it that caused a lot of infrastructure failure and service interruption.

Still, it was not as bad as a cat 5 superstorm like Katrina. In that respect the people complaining about starving are being poosies.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Some of the people can say they owned a big boat for a while. One lady on TV had one parked with the boat stuck in her house. The neighbor had one in their front yard also. They can say Sandy gave it to them

There will be stories passed on for generations about this storm. the kids will tell their kids and their kids kids. What is written in books is just a small part of something. The writings are based on the perception of the author and not of all the people involved. We only see a small bit of what is happening there through the Media, they are looking at what they perceive is the worst. I would love to walk around there and talk to the people, I see what most people don't see.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
you know, this is why I ALWAYS have 2 cartons of cigs in my freezer, when TSHTF, I'll need smokes

Forget the food, gimmee a smoke lol

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
you know, this is why I ALWAYS have 2 cartons of cigs in my freezer, when TSHTF, I'll need smokes

Forget the food, gimmee a smoke lol

You know that sounds pretty sad right

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Reminds me of that episode of the Daily Show where they show the fat Katrina survivor saying "I haven't eaten in 3 days" and John Stewart replying..."I think..you're gonna make it.."....

At least I think it was the Daily Show..

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

reply to post by intrptr

My response to that is utter disgust.

Have we seen these yet?

edit on 2-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

9/12 and 9/27? What is this from, Irene?
Is the date of 10/3 added to the photo via ps, or what?

Where was this originally posted?
Thanks.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Really REALLY hope there's no zombie apocalypse.

Funny you should mention that. Here's a thread i did I didnt BELIEVE in ZOMBIES til i met SANDY
This is pretty much how i see it going down.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

I bet most of them are fat as # too. Itll do them some good to go without McDonalds or kraft Mac&cheese for awhile

edit on 3-11-2012 by Loki1LouAmardd2Revan3 because: haha my gods why would you say this man . that's funny and sad at the same time .

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Actually, I am laughing at the situation. Laughing through the tears. And I am completely bewildered. The average so-called "civilized urbanite" has become no more than an animal who surrounds himself with fiction, viewscreens, and propaganda all day long. Nature burps, and he resorts to a level of ineptitude that would embarrass his ancestors. Those of us who have not forgotten our links to the past, and who are aware of the deadly present, regardless of our environment, have just cause to look down on these "people". How many of them, while they scrounge out of garbage cans and beg for gasoline look down at the situationally aware, shouting epithets and threats and much worse, on a daily basis? In my experience, almost every one to a man.

Enjoy last Monday's Big Mac bun, pigs.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Enjoy last Monday's Big Mac bun, pigs.

you're a jerk. Enjoy your brain.

I pray that everyone here enjoying themselves gets to truly test their "what ifs" and "Would have could have should haves" in the real world. When it is you, you will know what a little compassion can do to help your situation. You will also know the harm that cavalier attitudes of apathetic, indifferent people who ignorantly jest over the plight of your people can do as well.

May you all meet the devils you so carelessly provoke. May you look deep into the eyes of suffering and see the shimmer of its lips smiling over your grief.

Then all your preparedness will mean nothing. Then you will be animals running from the nature you so foolishly mock.

edit on 3-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

I bet most of them are fat as # too. Itll do them some good to go without McDonalds or kraft Mac&cheese for awhile

edit on 3-11-2012 by Loki1LouAmardd2Revan3 because: haha my gods why would you say this man . that's funny and sad at the same time .

I hope your loved ones suffer and you are given plenty of laughable material. I pray to the devil himself that you are placed in a laughable situation.

from the USA to your crap country with love.......F U

edit on 3-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join