It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What issues are you compromising for your Presidential pick?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
As the election is only weeks away, I am still finding it difficult to "Pick one." It seems every candidate has something about them that tick's me off equally. Now comes the time to compromise, I guess.

Ok, for me here would be my compromises:

Bush: Don't like his stance on abortion, enviromental issues, stem cell research, and throwing religion into everything.

Kerry: Don't think we should have gone to war with Iraq, but I also still want a strong and advanced military and don't think that's how it would be with Kerry. Also don't like the Democrat's position on Affirmative Action and gun control.

Badnarik: Really don't like his open immigration idea, his wanting to immediately withdrawl from Iraq, and his wanting to privatize the Police.

Well, these are some of the things I have to sort out and figure which ones I'll compromise on.

So my question is, what issues have you compromised on for the candidate you will vote for?

[edit on 10/19/2004 by DiabolusFireDragon]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Bush: I don't like his position when it comes to reducing the deficit. It has increased by alot. He talks about tax cuts but I believe I only saved a measly $50 a year from his tax cuts. I bet Bill Gates saved millions or maybe a few other rich folks saved thousands. Government spending needs to be cut to make up for these tax cuts and/or government revenue needs to increase by growth or taxes from somewhere else in the economy to make up for the loss of revenue.

Bush: I also have concerns over who he will appoint to the supreme court. While I may support his views on late term abortion I am afraid of going too conservative on other issues. There may need to be a clause to protect the life of the mother on the abortion debate too.

Kerry: In a time of war, he says whatever people want to hear. He can talk a good talk but in the end you don't know what he stands for. He might say now that he is only going to raise taxes on people making over 200,000 but a few months from now he might change his mind based on his new data. I believe he stated that he thinks it's ok to change your opinion based on new information. Well that just means no pledge to stick to your word. He is even tricky in what he says. I don't remember any promises to not raise taxes.

Kerry is also against spending any money on missle defense. I believe having A defense is better than no defense. Just suppose North Korea or Iran suddenly has long range nuclear missles and they threaten to attack a city of ours. With Kerry we would have no missle defense because he didn't believe in spending money on missle defense.

Kerry's position after 9-11 I disagree with also. He believes the US should wait to be attacked before going after the attackers. Well I thought we were already attacked. I don't want to hear about some city here in the US getting hit again because Kerry wanted to wait for it to happen. I'm sure he has some good talk to counter or confuse his opinion though.

I forgot to add the view that Kerry supports abortion but I disagree with that and believe Abortion is often a form of murder but people just want to ignore it or just want to think about number one (themselves). I mean it's easy to dehumanize someone who has never been seen and just says the growth within is a chunk of tissue. I believe I heard we would have over 30 million more Americans if not for abortion. We probably already killed off the guy who could have been president instead of Kerry and Bush.

[edit on 19-10-2004 by orionthehunter]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I have to say Bush's economics of making the Federal Government bigger i my main one......But he still has my vote.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Voting for Bush, I am compromising on the following:

Abortion
I also have concerns about the Surpreme Court

link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
Bush: I don't like his position when it comes to reducing the deficit. It has increased by alot. He talks about tax cuts but I believe I only saved a measly $50 a year from his tax cuts. I bet Bill Gates saved millions or maybe a few other rich folks saved thousands.

Yeah, here's a quote from www.factcheck.org... on Bush's Tax cuts:

Bush could hardly have been farther off base when he said most of his tax cuts "went to low- and middle-income Americans." That's just not true.

In fact, the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center recently calculated that most of the tax cuts -- 53% to be exact -- went to the highest -earning 10% of US individuals and families.Those most affluent Americans got an average tax cut of $7,661.

53% of the tax cuts went to the top 10%.

link   
I am glad to reply to this one

BUSH Too lost in shortened time span to switch over after election decision.
Tennet CIA chief should been out the door on day one.
Some clouded seldom discussed ties to Sami Al Arian (known terrorist conspiractor)regarding the Muslim vote in Fl 2000
Not Strong enough on Borders and ports
doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed. ( God Bless Cheney)

KERRY
4 monthes in Vietnam Four purple hearts and no disability whatsoever?
worked to and achieved cutting funding of CIA ops stating it was not needed now that the cold war was over.
says nothing in regard to how he would protect our borders and ports
did nothing to secure Logan airport despite warnings he recieved about it's lapses ( may not be his overall responsiblity but he was given the ball- he fumbled it)
third parties
all are a bit extreme and few are in postion to do much about my overall concern SECURITY
I think i will be voting one of these... If i were in a real battleground state bush would be my pick

[edit on 09/10/2004 by ptab01]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Bush:
The only thing i have heard Bush say i agree with is that when people have no economic connection to their health care it drives the cost higher. People rationalize that since My insurance is paying for it . . . I want every proceedure'.
Other than that Bush is goofy. He is incompetent to be commander and chief. He passes legislation that is written to help the very rich and big corporations. he is fiscally irresponsible. He only hears what he wants to hear, not the complete truth. Constipated thinking is bad for the economy.

Kerry: . . . who i am voting for
I don't think America can aford national healthcare.
He does have a tendency to pander to whatever group he is talking to.
If he said NO a lot more often he would be more credible and you would know what precisely is important to him.
I realize to some degree he probably does care for people. Sometimes you can care too much though.
He will have some kind of respect for the environment.
He won't be pandering to the rich and big corporations the way Bush does.
I think Kerry will listen to a diverse set of opinions and expertise and information. This will help him to make more thoughtful and better decisions.

Badnarik:
In general economically and socially I think libertarian is better.
I still want to see the government keep the environment in good order. I don't know what his position is on this.
I like government to keep the marketplace fair and keep food safe.
With drugs i want the government to do clinical research, tell people the results and let the people make their own choices.
I am getting to the point that perhaps just withdrawing from Iraq might be the best policy. I would certainly be a lot less expensive. Maybe we need to stop putting good money after bad after we have spent 120 Billion.

In Iraq the light at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer and further away, not closer. It is a mess. It is IMPOSSIBLE for John F. Kerry to do any worse in Iraq. He is intelligent therefore i believe he can do better.

top topics

join