It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Measurements retroactively force photons to be both wave and particle

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Honestly, this could turn out to be the biggest discovery in particle physics since the 60's. Or it could be trivial. We won't know for possibly awhile.

Another, more detailed article.
phys.org...
edit on 2-11-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ubeenhad
Honestly, this could turn out to be the biggest discovery in particle physics since the 60's. Or it could be trivial.

Actually it look like just another variation on the multitudes of experiments that have been done with the Mach–Zehnder interferometer.

This nifty little device has demonstrated all sorts of photon paradoxes and impossibilities since it was invented more than 100 years ago.
Most people just dont know. Certainly the author of the article doesnt seem aware of it.

Worse still, one setup allows them to determine the photon's nature as a wave or particle after it has gone through an apparatus where it must act as one or the other.

Edit - the abstract of one of these experiments in the article actually says they used one of these interferometers.

edit on 2-11-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
SUN = ALL ENERGY

light rays are particles and waves....and other types we yet do not know
all forces, the four main ones incliding - gravity, e& m....are all united...we just havent worked it out yet

photons have no mass (well little)....a hollow particle..., the energy coming from the sun...light and heat

light = photons
heat = wave

thats my best guess lol

peace

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Lol Thermal heat like black body radiation(like your pan heating on the stove) is photons. lol

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Lol, YA I guess quantum photonic chips could be considered exactly the same

Your over analyzing the article. Show me one experiment that violates complementarity directly like this.
For example, Neutron interferometer experiments only allow you to measure certain aspects of wave-particle duality, not a violation of complementarity. Others have allowed small indirect measurments to limit Uncertainty. Not the same.
edit on 2-11-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
ya this kind of seems like a fresh take on something that's been known for awhile. I think it has more to do with the universe being predetermined or not depending on the variables in it's..timeslice than it does with time travel.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Actually, it's just another demonstration that you get the answers to the questions you ask. Light can be considered as a wave, a particle or a wave and particle, when, in fact, it is not "really" any of the above. Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join