It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just saw a drone over North County San Diego.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I live on the coast but traveled inland to meet a friend for lunch. I was on the 15 North about 3 miles South of the 78. I saw what appeared to be a small plane, but it was weird because it was descending and traveling eastbound. There is an airport maybe 10 miles away. A small airport in Carlsbad. As I was watching it I noticed that it looked like a drone, I am almost sure of it. It moved to where I couldn't watch it any longer and my mind went towards other thoughts. After a few minutes I was traveling West on the 78 and saw it again. This time it was traveling South of the 78 and moving South.

I read an article a couple of days ago about the drone industry and how huge it is here in North County. But part of the article explained that the industry does not have any FAA flight paths here and they must go out to the Palmdale area for testing. My thoughts are if this was in fact a drone, and I truly believe that it was, it wasn't doing any testing, it was "working". Anyway just wondering if anyone else saw it. Also wondering if anyone has heard about any other drones surveilling this area.

snip

Our challenge in San Diego is access to FAA-approved airspace for flight testing autonomous UAVs,” said John Kosmatka, an engineering professor at UC San Diego’s Jacobs School of Engineering. “This is the advantage that North Dakota, New Mexico, and Oklahoma have over us, where large open spaces and military bases are available.

www.utsandiego.com...
edit on Thu Nov 1 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I didn't see the drone you're talking about, but I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm pretty close to the airport you mention in Carlsbad. I'll update later...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I just wandered outside for a few minutes and saw the following:

2 - civilian single engine planes
1 - Chinook - twin rotor heli - light grey probably Marines
2 - UH60's - again light grey probably Marines
1 - C-130 - again light grey probably Marines
and 2 long contrails - probably airliners

No drone at the moment but gives me something to keep an eye out for...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Maybe something out of Camp Pendleton?!?

2nd

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I didn't see anything out of the ordinary either. I'm near miramar afb. I see the typical. Airliners, jets on training and also ospreys. Choppers. Radar/cop choppers over the freeway. But no drone.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Hi, I am pretty sure I saw the same thing. I am not very jet and plane savvy, but what I saw was far different than what I am used to.

It would have been somewhere between 1-2pm, I am thinking before 1:30. I was at my son's school in Escondido, off Bear Valley and east of the 15. Kids were outside doing fall party games and I looked up to see a seemingly slowish white jet. I don't mean like a private jet..it seemed more like a fighter jet, but appeared all white. It was going East and appeared kind of low. It was odd enough that I pointed it out to another mom, who was a bit surprised as well.
Texted my ex, who works for Northrop Grumman and he was a little puzzled at my description, but offered the fact that NASA uses white F-18's, so thought maybe I had pinned it down until my mom mentioned your post..
Now I am wondering if it was indeed a drone.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

That was it! It was around 1:45. To me it seemed silverish but the sun was reflecting off of it. It had that snub nose and looked a lot like the picture I had seen at the SD Union Tribune website.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I've been keeping an eye on the sky today and no sign of the drone. I'll continue to look up and report back if anything interesting shows up.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by divinetragedy79

Sorry, Miramar is not an air force base but a Marine Corps air station.
If what you saw really was a drone, its likely it was training around Camp Pendleton.

top topics

join