It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's really bad here in NY CT and NJ!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

I agree it isn't much of a storm, but it has caused severe chaos. Imagine if a typical NorEaster struck Orlando. It might be nothing for Maryland or Maine or NY, but for Orlando, with exposed water pipes, light-duty clothing, no snow plows or salt trucks, it would be devastating!

You can't compare the impact of a typical Florida hurricane to what it does in an area like NY.

Also, the population density. The problem isn't the storm, the problem is the people. They are piled on top of each other, and generally helpless. If you see my posts in other threads, I have very little sympathy for what is going on there, because it is the people creating the problems. The storm waters flooded, then they receded, and if people had been the least bit prepared, and not looted, and not panicked and overrun the gas stations and grocery stores, then this wouldn't be an issue at all.

I don't like hearing that the storm was no big deal, because it was a big deal, but the storm is over, and now the problem is the people.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by ceetee
reply to post by pheonix358

sorry i dont live in NY, i live in the UK, however I find your lack of understanding and brash statements to be incorrect. I live in a small 1 bed flat here in the uk. I have virtually no storage space, so under the BED is already jammed with my own stuff. At best, i could store 3 days extra food in this flat and no more. You appear to be clueless and talking out of your backside

We were talking about an apartment not a bloody bedsit! Way to go! While your at it knock off the poor attitude.

So. you could not possibly find any space at all for a 10Kg bag of rice to keep you alive for an emergency. THROW SOMETHING OUT! Make the room! Unless you want to wait for your Prime Minister to come and rescue you. Perhaps the Queen can send Charlie!

And you say I'm clueless! Good grief Charlie Brown!

P

no. i'm talking about a flat. it has 1 bedroom, a kitchen, bathroom and living room. this is not a bedsit.

The reason I made the statement originally is because many people in this country live in similar accommodation. there is little storage space, so stockpiling is out of the question. I have a friend who lives in NYC, (28th street?) and she has a similar floor space to my flat here in the UK. She doesn't have space for stockpiling stores either. So i stand by my original post and ignore the fact that you accused me of not knowing what type of accommodation i live in!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ceetee

7 days isn't "stockpiling."

7 days is a gallon of milk, a box of minute rice, a couple of packs of weiners, or vienna sausages, or spam, a dozen eggs, a gallon or two of water, a basic winter coat, hoodie, and sweatpants to wear over your jeans, a flashlight, and a box of trashbags.

When the storm is bearing down, you fill up your sinks and/or bathtub with fresh water, and you use it first before breaking open the bottled water.

In the aftermath of the storm, if electricity is out, and if things look bleak, you immediately ration supplies, you don't eat it all the first 3 days. Hell, you don't eat any of it the first 3 days unless it is going to spoil!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

The OP hasn't posted anymore. Should we be worried?

Could be good, as in rescued to go to a shelter...
Could be bad, as in busted for "looting" that wire...

Hopefully it is neither. They gave him supplies and wished him well. Right now he is too busy cooking to reply.

I am fine thank you, I am spending alot of time with our Fire Dept helping people. I can spend more time as my family is safe and has power.
As of this morning 9:00 am .%96 of all polling places do not have power! I will check in later , we got a shipment in of MRE'S and water to hand out ,only dry good can be bought as most stores have no power....But I thank god we are not as bad as NJ. Here's a link to our local paper.
www.ctpost.com...

On the Fourth Day--No Power

www.ctpost.com...

edit on 2-11-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

What you are doing is commendable and is what should be done. These storms are overcome by people tightening their belts and neighbors helping neighbors. Keep up the good work you are a HERO>

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider
reply to post by hanyak69

I agree it isn't much of a storm, but it has caused severe chaos. Imagine if a typical NorEaster struck Orlando. It might be nothing for Maryland or Maine or NY, but for Orlando, with exposed water pipes, light-duty clothing, no snow plows or salt trucks, it would be devastating!

You can't compare the impact of a typical Florida hurricane to what it does in an area like NY.

Also, the population density. The problem isn't the storm, the problem is the people. They are piled on top of each other, and generally helpless. If you see my posts in other threads, I have very little sympathy for what is going on there, because it is the people creating the problems. The storm waters flooded, then they receded, and if people had been the least bit prepared, and not looted, and not panicked and overrun the gas stations and
grocery stores, then this wouldn't be an issue at all.

don't like hearing that the storm was no big deal, because it was a big deal, but the storm is over, and now the problem is the people.

Which hype was manufactured by the media. Then obama saying we leave no one behind, too bad he did not feel that way with Libya......just saying
edit on 2-11-2012 by hanyak69 because: did it wrong

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Only read your posts in this thread, my families prayers are with you and everyone, we have not forgotten!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Is this why they were evacuating bases weeks ahead of the formation of this storm??
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Just a coincidence I guess.....

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69
By the way where was obama bin laden when Texas and colorado burned last year, the last ten years have been brutal down in south Texas with almost no help. It is okay though we are used to it.....

Texas asked for help but was ignored. Rick Perry burned alot of bridges with Obama, but still... (No one here likes Rick Perry, just so you know)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

So if the governor burns bridges the people get left behind?? This is why I don't like Dems or Repubs, they are sooo preschoolish. They only leave people behind when it is convient to them. I voted for KINKY that is how much I dislike the 2 parties.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69

So if the governor burns bridges the people get left behind?? This is why I don't like Dems or Repubs, they are sooo preschoolish. They only leave people behind when it is convient to them. I voted for KINKY that is how much I dislike the 2 parties.

Yeah, I always found that to be childish. I voted Obama the first time (a mistake) but am writing in Ron Paul this time.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I don't know if this new bit of news has been posted yet. It makes me mad that, in this time of so much need, by so many people, Union politics keeps progress from moving forward. It makes no sense to me.

Nonunion Ala. crews turned away from Sandy recovery

SEASIDE HEIGHTS, NEW JERSEY (WAFF) -

The hurricane-ravaged east coast has been receiving north Alabama help, but crews learned they'll be doing work in Long Island, New York instead of in New Jersey.

Crews from Decatur Utilities headed up there this week, but Derrick Moore, one of the Decatur workers, said they were told by crews in New Jersey that they can't do any work there since they're not union employees.

The general manager of Decatur Utilities, Ray Hardin told Fox Business they were presented documents from the International Brotherhood of Electric Workers at a staging area in Virginia. The documents stated they had to affiliate with a union to work, which the crews could not agree to.

The crews were originally called to Seaside Heights, but they never made it to New Jersey. They attempted to look for work in other areas but made the decision Thursday night to return home.

Moore said they're frustrated being told "thanks, but no thanks."
www.waff.com...

And people wonder why recovery is taking so long....

Des

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

That is the best news I have heard lately I just hope more people write in RON PAUL.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The deal with this hurricane was that it was almost a category 2 hurricane (needed only 5 more mph winds) but the millibars dropped to a historic 946, something that was never seen before in such a large storm. The lower the pressure the higher the storm surge, in which this case it was a really high storm surge. This took residents off-guard and flooded more neighborhoods than the cities prepared for.

I still don't get why Staten Island didn't evacuate. Were they told they didn't need to? They say people have lived there for decades. Is it possible they figured it has never happened to them before and that they wouldn't get it bad this time, either?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Bloomberg is sending generators to the NYC Marathon .. for tents to keep the runners warm etc etc. :shk: There are makeshift morgues without electricity in Staten Island that could use that power .. there are gas stations that could use that power to pump gas and get things moving .. there are shelters from the cold and that have food that could use that power.

NYC Marathon??? Bloomberg screwed up!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I don't know if this new bit of news has been posted yet. It makes me mad that, in this time of so much need, by so many people, Union politics keeps progress from moving forward. It makes no sense to me.

Nonunion Ala. crews turned away from Sandy recovery

SEASIDE HEIGHTS, NEW JERSEY (WAFF) -

The hurricane-ravaged east coast has been receiving north Alabama help, but crews learned they'll be doing work in Long Island, New York instead of in New Jersey.

Crews from Decatur Utilities headed up there this week, but Derrick Moore, one of the Decatur workers, said they were told by crews in New Jersey that they can't do any work there since they're not union employees.

The general manager of Decatur Utilities, Ray Hardin told Fox Business they were presented documents from the International Brotherhood of Electric Workers at a staging area in Virginia. The documents stated they had to affiliate with a union to work, which the crews could not agree to.

The crews were originally called to Seaside Heights, but they never made it to New Jersey. They attempted to look for work in other areas but made the decision Thursday night to return home.

Moore said they're frustrated being told "thanks, but no thanks."
www.waff.com...

And people wonder why recovery is taking so long....

Des

Good Lord...That is just ridiculous. I would think they can make an exception and relax the stupid rules.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by nighthawk1954
Holy Crap we have National Guard on my street!

That's a good sign. You may get MRE's and ice like they gave out here in New Orleans after Issac. For Katrina every citizen got 4000 dollars to help out. These things are needed to help sustain rebuild and give hope. Take whatever they offer you. Stay safe, don't take chances and know the world is praying for you.

Greetings:

For Katrina every citizen got 4000 dollars to help out.

Thank you for the information.

Any chance you might have any proof of that? A link perhaps.

We were there (Hattisburg, MS) and no one that we know received $4,000...

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Bloomberg doesn't give a rat's ass about the citizens of New York. Citizens should begin a recall of this fraud of Mayor.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Well looks like my family got their power back back on. Only heard from him for a few minutes. I know he has plenty of gas, but brother doesn't. Food wise, not sure yet. But, all in all they are okay right now.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I hate to ask this under the current situation, but where was all this outrage and news coverage last year when 850,000 of us in Connecticut were without power for two weeks? Where was FEMA helping us replace damage, and insurance companies helping to rebuild, that's right no-one cared....

We aren't close to NYC or on the shore so it was a non-even, while I feel bad for everyone, and I've been down to the shore to help in recovery, I just wonder where all those people were last year... And why it's being treated like it's some sort of massive injustice that 300,000 are out, when the SAME TIME last year people were ready to lynch Jeff Butler from CL&P for lying every day to us about when the lights would come back on, and everyone up here was dying from exposure from the cold, and stores were running out of supplies...

Interesting how even just 50 miles in the same states makes people take notice...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
those of you saying that people should have prepped for this seem to be forgetting that alot of people in nyc live in apartments (which are fairly tiny) so stocking up on a month of non perishable food would be almost impossible for most people since space is limited

You can put quite a lot of the emergency stuff in one Bug Out Bag if you plan well. Sad when people start running to long lines for flashlight batteries and water after an emergency they were told ahead about.

Water is the bulkiest you could put some gallons under the bed.

The ones with cars did not fill them and have extra can or so filed.

The new electric emergency lanterns last a long time, I have those lights that come on with motion and they have the battery changes once every 2 years.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join