It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bees Defy Physics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Did you know that by our laws of physics Bees by there waight, body size and wing span should not be able to fly?

Any thoughts?
edit on 16.03.2011 by kera1337 because: (no reason given)

phys.org...

this is one of the articles i found

not prooven not dismissed, hearsay mostly

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I guess when your flapping your wings that fast it dont matter.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yeah thats BS. Research it. I think even cracked has an article debunking that nonsense.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Unless you are referring to this guy you may want to research a little more.....

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by kera1337

Someone was watching The Bee Movie with Jerry Seinfeld to much.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I'll admit I have no idea at all about bee's.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
who cares

the world of physics has its misconceptions even though this thread is just a myth

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
oops wrong thread
edit on 1-11-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: oops

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kera1337

"We're no longer allowed to use this story about not understanding bee flight as an example of where science has failed, because it is just not true," Dickinson says.

Read more at: phys.org...

From the actual article you noted. Am I missing something? Science has indeed figured it out yet you claim otherwise?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kera1337

They have shown that the wings rotate very precisely in order to support the bee's weight.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Some kind of meissner field? Elecro-magnetism on a small scale? Maby the rapid movement of there wings generates a electro-field? They are covered with tiny hairs that can probably hold a charge. Just a hypothosis.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

It's a very widely held myth that 'the laws of aerodynamics say that bumblebee can't fly, but no-one told the bee.'
Probably this is based on a simple linear treatment of oscillating aerofoils. This assumes small amplitude oscillations without flow separation, ignoring the effect of dynamic stall which causes an airflow separation inducing a large vortex above the wing. This vortex briefly produces several times the lift of the aerofoil in regular flight. The bumblebee flies because its wings encounter dynamic stall on every down stroke.
Bees beat their wings approximately 200 times a second, which is up to 20 times as fast as nerve impulses can fire. They achieve this because their thorax muscles don't expand and contract on each nerve firing, but rather vibrate like the string on a musical instrument.

wiki.answers.com...
edit on 2-11-2012 by Komonazmuk because: code-derp

top topics

join