It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FIltering "radioactive water" and general water nasties filtration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I almost decided to NEVER post in survival again due ot the " you can live on a mason jar of sprouts" comments.. BUT I saw a thread concerning this and thought Id give the facts and some methods.. since I read some BS. LOL! Im not imbedding all of the youtubes so dial up or slower connections can get this.

If you keep up with this sort of thing.. the major radioactive substances like Strontium 90, Iodine 131 and Cesium 137, are being found more and more in our ingestibles and are the major substances to be found in many disaster scenarios. Your main ways of dealing with this on your own when youre not being handed fresh water are : reverse osmosis, water purification iodine based tablets, natural filtration, Ion exchange filtration, and distillation. Many substances like Iodine 131 turn into gas.. and thats more difficult to get out.. but the more you can get out.. the better your changes are. Some removal of contaminants is better than none.. you wont ever have "pure" water when we are talking things on the molecular level..so we're talking a 90-95% filtration process having said that Ill give a few links here.. research them and come up with your own homebrew filtration system that suits your needs.

Ive actually tested this one myself.. works fine and a simple concept thatsx cheap and you can do in a pinch:

Clay/bucket filter

Zeolite filter.. if youre doing a staging purification.. like filter down technique.
www.youtube.com...

Use bleach OR chlorine dioxide.. Chlorine dioxide kills off anthrax spore, ecoli, etc..
www.youtube.com...

Now I used this.. as the first step in a filter down technique idea.. this first then the clay from the first llink. The more process you can run the water through the more you can filter out the radioactive particles plus a bunch of other nasty junk.
www.youtube.com...

Here's a DIY Berkey
www.youtube.com...
www.survival-spot.com... 28Survival+Spot+Blog%29

Distillation. Im a big fan of distilled just due to removing of particulates and you can make injectibles with it in emergency medical situations.
Im a also a fresnel lense nutball. I get them off of junked bog screens, Built a solar fresnel oven with one too! LOL!
www.youtube.com...
Super simple distiller
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

I made this for bout 50 bucks.. but if you salvages materials it would be cheaper.

As I go through this drive Ill post more. Hopefully this subject will be treated seriously and youll add your own homebrew system

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Explanation: S&F!

Since water is THE universal solvent ... then yes water will never be pure [its so hard to get real pure water that it is more rare than practically anything else ok] and also some types of isotopic water such a deuterium (aka heavy water .. which exists naturally) and tritium [which is radioactive and is generally made in reactors to be the fuel in hydrogen bombs .. it has a 20yr halflife] which since they are water it would be extremely hard to filter them out also.

For me its as simple as standard filtration and if one simply aerates the water that will help degassify it.

Personal Disclosure: Very pertinant thread for our times with Fukashima epic fail and all that jazz. Well Done Adv.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This seems to fit here so..

www.amazon.com...=redir_mdp_mobile?tag=047-20

Busy g2g

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Oh don't quit making threads in survival...you'll always get those people that believe they can be Rambo.
That being said, if you have a good water source, good pre-filters and then going through an RO system, you will get out the ugly's. I work in a RO water plant. By taking a General Chemical and Toxicity report before and after the filtration process, you can definitely see the "advantages".

edit on 1-11-2012 by superman2012 because: sp

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Oh don't quit making threads in survival...you'll always get those people that believe they can be Rambo.
That being said, if you have a good water source, good pre-filters and then going through an RO system, you will get out the ugly's. I work in a RO water plant. By taking a General Chemical and Toxicity report before and after the filtration process, you can definitely see the "advantages".

edit on 1-11-2012 by superman2012 because: sp

Bah, Im just griping. LOL! I wont stop.. its a compulsion to share stuff.. I just get annoyed. LOL!

I have to respond to you on a funny/outrageous note.. we have this pervasive doodoo smell here since mid spring. Our water/sewage system is OOOLD and its failing, like much of our infrastructure here. So we have this huge festival that people come to from all over the nation.. and rather than putting money into repair or replacement of the thing, they dropped deodorizers into the system from our storm drains and deodorizers in the actual water treatment process from the plant. We still see larger particulate floaters in our tap water.. and I bought a reverse osmosis system for the house as I dotn even want that crap on my body during a shower. LOL! Yep.. Im NOT joking,
Our city is made of morons.. they also had to PAY the MAYORS BUDDY 3 times to redo main street due to drianage issues. Seems our city engineer is one of those "special" folks who is hired for no real qualifications. In once incident he actually wrote in his report the water was running UPHILL.. and 3 neighborhoods have now experienced sewage back up in their basements. Im dead serious. One gal died from a brain eating bacteria from using tap water in her neti pot during allergy season.

So.. a town down they had to boil their water due to this nonsense. Boiling doesnt take out what was contaminating it.. as you know Im SURE.. you cant boil certain contaminants out. So a few buddies and I print off these super simple schematics for distillation set ups and clay filters.. and pass them out to folks and on cars in the walmart parking lot. First thing that popped into my head was babies and formula.. and WATER in the bottles. Spooked me. Gave a email address in case someone needed help with it or whatever. OMG.. these city "officials" went nutty. Guess what for? Because we gave the TRUTH about contaminants and what could and could NOT be removed from the water from boiling.. and included web links with the information..
They also took offense when we went to the sewer filled neighborhood and gave info on homebrew sump pumps and decontamination of their HOMES. City hasnt done one thing for these people and they are living in contaminated areas!

Long story short.. if you arent educated abotu things the city officials LOOOVE you.. if you are.. youre an enemy of the local govt. Ill put that on my resume.

edit on 1-11-2012 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I hear you! I used to work for a small town before my current position, and talk about ignorance! I encountered quite a bit of it while working. People who "run" this town, have no idea, or inclination to understand, how things work, then I got crapped on (not literal) because I questioned them. Get this for an example: The town had an emergency generator to make sure our sewage lift station would still work in the event of an extended power outage. Well, because there haven't been any emergencies requiring its usage, it was sold! I tried to explain to them that selling an emergency generator because it hasn't been used is ridiculous! We should be happy that we haven't had to use it yet!
Oh well. What can you do? I'm glad I don't work for them anymore...still have to live here though!

join