It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

election predicted by redskins game every election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

The Redskins Rule
Getty The Washington Redskins enjoy one of the most remarkable reputations in political history due to a little correlation called the "Redskins rule." It's as simple as it is spooky: If the Redskins win their last home game before election day, then the party in power gets to hold on to the White House. If the Redskins lose, no matter how close the game, the opposition party takes over. Getty "Hmmm, I should go for a tie just to see what happens." You could write it off as blind chance if, say, it worked for three or four elections ... but the rule has incredibly held true for every damn election since 1940, except one (and we'll get to it in a minute).

So this is slowly entering gypsy curse territory. Because why the hell would this possibly work? Maybe you could say that the incumbent is re-elected when things are going well for the country, and when things are going well, the crowd will be more jazzed to root for football, and the positive crowd makes the team play better. But why would it only apply to that one game? Keep in mind that it has nothing to do with how good the team is overall -- the 1976 Redskins only lost two games at home all year, but by God, one of those two losses was right before election day, and therefore the Republican incumbent lost and Democrats took back the presidency. What the hell? Walter Iooss / Sports Illustrated "Screw your election! We just lost to the Cowboys!" As for the one exception, it was in 2004, when the Green Bay Packers beat the Redskins but George W. Bush held on to the presidency. The fact that this was the one exception actually makes it weirder, because as some of you vividly remember, Bush was president but had actually lost the popular vote in 2000 (winning only due to the Supreme Court craziness over Florida's recount).

As the guy credited with discovering the theory, Steve Hirdt, points out, if you make the rule refer not to the party in power, but to the party that won the popular vote in the previous election, it suddenly has a perfect 18-for-18 record predating World War II.

link

I just found this a bit odd and do not believe it to be coincidental in the least tptb put the truth right in our faces.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Great, I'm a Panthers fan lol

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

The Redskins Rule...

...If the Redskins lose, no matter how close the game, the opposition party takes over...

Didn't the Redskins lose to Greenbay in 2004 at home 28 - 4? I believe "W" remained in office and the GOP had control of the House and Senate... I could be wrong though.

Does that make this an invalid prognostication theory?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by bkfd54

As stated in the article he lost the popular vote.

As for the one exception, it was in 2004, when the Green Bay Packers beat the Redskins but George W. Bush held on to the presidency. The fact that this was the one exception actually makes it weirder, because as some of you vividly remember, Bush was president but had actually lost the popular vote in 2000 (winning only due to the Supreme Court craziness over Florida's recount).

I doubt bush won the good ol fashion way

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkfd54

Didn't the Redskins lose to Greenbay in 2004 at home 28 - 4? I believe "W" remained in office and the GOP had control of the House and Senate... I could be wrong though.

Does that make this an invalid prognostication theory?

Yeah: Snope Reskins Prediction

Everybody wants magic and superstitions to be real. Especially sports fans.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
maybe it was getting too well known so they stopped using that method to flaunt their control lol

new topics

top topics

join