It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror of beachfront residents who stayed during Sandy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I came across this video earlier and wanted to share it with you guys.

A couple of reporters go and interview residents of Long Island who decided to sit out the storm. They report of their frightening experience as well as their efforts to preserve life of those who also stayed.

The houses are destroyed, which is not surprising considering they are built of plywood. With something like this, wouldnt it be a good idea to consider rebuilding using sturdier materials? Brick for example.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

They were warned, and I have absolutely ZERO compassion for them.

Those could have been folks that read a thread here saying that the storm was "hyped."

Let them learn from this that mother nature is unpredictable, and it's best to leave, even if a storm fizzles out.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

The houses are destroyed, which is not surprising considering they are built of plywood. With something like this, wouldnt it be a good idea to consider rebuilding using sturdier materials? Brick for example.

No. In Louisiana, a lot of the flooded areas were homes built with bricks. The homes had to be completely gutted, if they were insured, just because of the mold factor that happens within days.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

That does actually make sense. It will cost less in the long run to patch up a wooden building than to rebuild a brick one. I hadn't considered the mold

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Hmm is that because it is generally rather warm in Louisiana? Over here, if your home floods, the insurers usually get you some dehumidifiers and driers to dry the homes out. I get the impression that probably wouldn't work in Louisiana? Should be ok for brick buildings in the north though.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

I agree with you, some of these people including aome who died deserve no compassion. They were warned, too bad some of those took children with them.
edit on 1-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Sissel

Hmm is that because it is generally rather warm in Louisiana? Over here, if your home floods, the insurers usually get you some dehumidifiers and driers to dry the homes out. I get the impression that probably wouldn't work in Louisiana? Should be ok for brick buildings in the north though.

If you think so, run with that, because anybody who has had water in their home will tell you that fans drying out dry wall doesn't do the trick when it gets into the framing, or insulation behind the drywall.

I grew up in the Chicago burbs, and had a home take on water when a sump pump failed. That is what insurance recommended for me, but after the family getting repeatedly sick...the problem was much deeper.

Fans are a temporary fix, to a much deeper problem.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel
reply to post by AmberLeaf

They were warned, and I have absolutely ZERO compassion for them.

Those could have been folks that read a thread here saying that the storm was "hyped."

Let them learn from this that mother nature is unpredictable, and it's best to leave, even if a storm fizzles out.

Seriously. It should be titled idiots, not beachfront residents.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Hey, i live in an area where it has always flooded. Fair bit of experience with this sort of thing. If the insurers are drying out your home, you aren't getting back in for many months - they do a proper job.

Probably something to do with differing building techniques and materials between our nations? That would make sense. I do know that some homes get too flood damaged for this to be effective over here but for the majority, it works fine.

Sorry for going off topic OP, was just curious about that aspect. I hate to say it but i don't have that much sympathy for those that chose to stay. As long as they are ok, i would wager they have learned their lesson for the next time this occurs........

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

Hey, i live in an area where it has always flooded. Fair bit of experience with this sort of thing. If the insurers are drying out your home, you aren't getting back in for many months - they do a proper job.

But that is the key here. How many people can afford to do that? Unless a homeowner checks for themselves and goes on the word of the insurance company themselves, they are lead to believe it is okay. How do they check, by actually tearing some of the walls down.

Sorry for going off topic OP, was just curious about that aspect. I hate to say it but i don't have that much sympathy for those that chose to stay. As long as they are ok, i would wager they have learned their lesson for the next time this occurs........

I think you are fine with this, because for some homeowners who are not informed, and who choose something like fans being in their homes, there is more terror to come.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

No. We must never turn our backs upon our fellow humans or leave anyone behind.

We humans are all flawed anyway, and do make mistakes, but have the capacity to acknowledge and correct them to progress and evolve.

What had happened had already happened. No point crying over spilt milk or gloating over who was right or wrong. They too need every ounce of our compassion and help to get over the disaster.

Wood is actually the best construction material for low lying or disaster prone areas. Our ancestors were not stupid. In Japan of the past, most homes were made of wood, as Japan is quake prone. Concrete would have killed them all, but wood would not hurt much and easier to reconstruct and rebuild. The worst is only fire, but with social awareness, it can be minimised.

Today, we pride ourselves in our advance tech and build using supposed best materials of iron and concrete, as well human regulatory efforts. However, we should beware of greed and corruption, for it would allow poor quality or even fake quality, as well as to study the ground and foundations structures are built upon. It would be suicidal to build gleaming structures in disaster prone areas.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Home in the UK are built in a different way to homes in the USA, often using differing materials. For UK homes, drying works in the majority of cases without any ill effects. For example, in my town we have buildings over 500 years old that regularly flood and are perfectly habitable after drying out has been allowed. We have 10 year old homes that regularly flood that are also perfectly habitable after drying out has been allowed.

I was asking if this was possible in the USA, you said not. Not really sure why you seem to have got your knickers in a twist about this?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

Home in the UK are built in a different way to homes in the USA, often using differing materials. For UK homes, drying works in the majority of cases without any ill effects. For example, in my town we have buildings over 500 years old that regularly flood and are perfectly habitable after drying out has been allowed. We have 10 year old homes that regularly flood that are also perfectly habitable after drying out has been allowed.

I was asking if this was possible in the USA, you said not. Not really sure why you seem to have got your knickers in a twist about this?

Ah, sorry didn't realize you were in the UK, so my apologies. All I can say is that I speak from experience growing up in the midwest of the States, and then being in Louisiana for Katrina. Even after some homes there were stripped to the bare bones (framing) people still ended up knocking the homes down completely to rebuild.

Perhaps the states needs to take a better look at the way homes are built in your corner of the world.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by Sissel

No. We must never turn our backs upon our fellow humans or leave anyone behind.

Nobody said that we should turn our backs on our fellow humans. That is why they were warned to get out of harms way.

We humans are all flawed anyway, and do make mistakes, but have the capacity to acknowledge and correct them to progress and evolve.

If somebody tells you to vacate because there is a fire just a few doors down, and you don't heed the warnings, that is called stupidity, not a mistake.

What had happened had already happened. No point crying over spilt milk or gloating over who was right or wrong. They too need every ounce of our compassion and help to get over the disaster.

Wood is actually the best construction material for low lying or disaster prone areas. Our ancestors were not stupid. In Japan of the past, most homes were made of wood, as Japan is quake prone. Concrete would have killed them all, but wood would not hurt much and easier to reconstruct and rebuild. The worst is only fire, but with social awareness, it can be minimised.

Was there a disaster on the east coast involving a quake? LOL, while I appreciate the information, wood is also very prone to getting mold infested.

Today, we pride ourselves in our advance tech and build using supposed best materials of iron and concrete, as well human regulatory efforts. However, we should beware of greed and corruption, for it would allow poor quality or even fake quality, as well as to study the ground and foundations structures are built upon. It would be suicidal to build gleaming structures in disaster prone areas.

Are you aware of what went on at the east coast of the US, and far inland? Let the buyer beware.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

I can only feel sad for you.

All that your post had written, had only proven your egotism, and gloating over the mistakes of others.

Are you so perfect that you had NEVER made a mistake in your lifetime? I doubt so, for no human, including myself, can ever lay claim to such without lying.

What those who stayed behind, upon hindsight, had been a mistake, only a flaw inherent with all mankind. They justified it with all kinds of reasons, to ally their egos and beliefs, but without a shred to the realities of the threat that MANY, most being professionals of meteorology, telling them to get out of harm's way.

They are only human, just like you and me.

You had failed to understand my earlier post, perhaps due to my poor articulation, but once again I say, what happened had happened and is already the past.

We are unable to live in the past, no man can, but we can look to the future. It had been a lesson for all, and we will share compassion and help to all in need right now, with our free will, for we are one - humans, less the acrimonisities, whom had learnt and will in return one day help us.

It had been such concepts that had led mankind out of the jungle and jungle laws into civilisation, progress and evolution.

Do drop the ego, blame games and gloating. Share compassion and help instead, for there is truly very much suffering by those affected in this disasters, often cold and hungry as the brave and tireless rescue operators and samaritians struggle to cope despite the most impossible of odds and time to bring normalcy to all.
edit on 1-11-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

I can only feel sad for you.

All that your post had written, had only proven your egotism, and gloating over the mistakes of others.

It's not gloating at all. Believe me. I grew up in the Midwest, and moved to Louisiana just a few months before Katrina, and had no clue what a storm like this could do.

Are you so perfect that you had NEVER made a mistake in your lifetime? I doubt so, for no human, including myself, can ever lay claim to such without lying.

Of course not. I am mistake riddled, and have the scars to prove it.

What those who stayed behind, upon hindsight, had been a mistake, only a flaw inherent with all mankind. They justified it with all kinds of reasons, to ally their egos and beliefs, but without a shred to the realities of the threat that MANY, most being professionals of meteorology, telling them to get out of harm's way.

well, then they did make mistakes, heard the warnings and chose not to listen.

They are only human, just like you and me.

Yes they are.

You had failed to understand my earlier post, perhaps due to my poor articulation, but once again I say, what happened had happened and is already the past.

You can continue to believe that, but there is also the aftermath of these types of situations. Believe me, I have been there and done that. It's going to be ongoing for quite a while, after the storm.

We are unable to live in the past, no man can, but we can look to the future. It had been a lesson for all, and we will share compassion and help to all in need right now, with our free will, for we are one - humans, less the acrimonisities, whom had learnt and will in return one day help us.

Nobody is stopping you from helping others out. Do as you please. Hop the next train, bus, plane, or whatever, and give away all you possess to do so. That is up to you. Don't tell me in your underlying tone what is expected of everybody else who is not on board with you. I lost EVERYTHING in Katrina. I thought I was prepared and I did not even live in New Orleans. I did not request, or get help from FEMA, I got a one time emergency voucher for food.

It had been such concepts that had led mankind out of the jungle and jungle laws into civilisation, progress and evolution.

There are still a lot of people living in jungles.

Do drop the ego, blame games and gloating. Share compassion and help instead, for there is truly very much suffering by those affected in this disasters, often cold and hungry as the brave and tireless rescue operators and samaritians struggle to cope despite the most impossible of odds and time to bring normalcy to all.

As I said, I hold the people who chose to remain responsible for themselves. They need to come to the understanding that I learned after having gone through something like this..........live and learn,....

Nobody came to my rescue, nobody did anything for me that I could not do for myself. I stayed with friends who's power was out after Katrina for 3 weeks after that storm. I also went there empty handed because I literally lost everything, well inland from the storm. If I had been better prepared to having to go somewhere else I would have made sure I could bring enough food to do so, for other people, and I would not have even taken advantage of the one time food voucher.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sorry to hear of your suffering and pain that you went through.

But does that gives you the right to deny empathy for others, and hope that they suffer as much as you?

I had always thought that those who had suffered before, will have no wish that others suffered as they did, and would lend a heart of compassion to others, if not a hand itself to lift up them, whom had only made similar mistakes?

Reading your post...guess I had over-estimated empathy amongst humans... but still hope that there will not be many humans like you......

Hatred / Apathy...is an ELE.....

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Sorry to here your suffering and pain that you went through.

But does that gives you the right to deny empathy for others, and hope that they suffer as much as you?

I had always thought that those who had suffered before, will have no wish that others suffered as they did, and would lend a heart of compassion to others, if not a hand itself to lift up them, whom had only made similar mistakes?

Reading your post...guess I had over-estimated empathy amongst humans... but still hope that there will not be many humans like you......

Hatred / Apathy...is an ELE.....

I don't deny empathy at all. That is why when people were on here, and saying this storm was all hyped up, I kept saying that people should prepare, and or get out of harms way. I was speaking from experience, and was ignored or laughed at.

I am still very broke from what I went through, but I have already donated what I could to help with this. But do I feel particularly sorry for people who did not heed warnings? Not one bit.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Potential Darwin Award winners.

They were told to evac and they didn't. That's all on them. They should be happy they're alive.

I was in Homestead FL when Hurricane Andrew, a CAT 5 hurricane hit. They told us to evac and we got the hell out with whatever we could stuff into our car. Everything else was lost, house turned into kindling wood.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

May I ask, how exactly are the houses in the UK built differently? We build a concrete foundation. On top we build a wooden frame. Within the frame we put insulation then sheetrock walls on each side of the rooms with the insulation in the middle between them. We put wood or bricks on the outside walls and pop on a roof.

new topics

top topics

join