It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC: ‘The storm is not over’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

FCC: ‘The storm is not over’

The Federal Communications Commission is reporting that Superstorm Sandy damaged major communications networks during its assault on the Eastern Seaboard Monday.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski told reporters Tuesday during a conference call that flooding, high winds and snow disabled 25 percent of cell towers, cable TV, broadband Internet and landlines in affected areas

He also said that several 911 call centers were also disabled during the storm.

“The storm is not over. Our assumption is that communications outages could get worse before they get better — particularly for mobile,” he said.

Another source explains:

...officials wouldn't comment specifically on how many wireless customers have been affected by the outages. But they said service is likely to get worse for customers before it gets better. Even customers who may have service now in some affected areas could be without it in the coming days as backup batteries run out of power.

Link.

There are so many dimensions to the impact of Sandy, it's hard to fully take it all in.

I expect that in the coming days we will start to see Sandy's impact in other ways too-- particularly our politics.

These are certainly busy times.

edit on 1-11-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
i read that cell phone addicts were having a rough time in NYC, who would have ever thought they would hear the term "cell phone addict" in our lifetimes eh. i know for me that there isn't a day goes by that i wouldn't love to throw my phone in the river.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I think it takes at least 12 months to get some sort of normality back.

The damage looks really serious and widespread.

It effects everything , nothing escapes.

join