It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Shooting Champion Facing Jail Time Over Ammo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Sergeant Major Morgan Cook, 39, admitted possessing up to 40,000 rounds of .22 ammunition at his home on the Defence Intelligence Security Centre at Chicksands, Beds.

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

Crazy.

This is why I hate law so much. Context and discretion take a back seat to paranoid "what if's" so the folks in charge can save face with their moronic constituency.

I spent time working with a small bore rifle team and each shooter would go through at least a thousand rounds a session.

How dare a military man and professional competitive world champion shooter have ammo on hand!!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thank Labour for that. Dunblane started all this and what a can of worms that story is. Linked to the Holly Greig case amongst others and possibly going to involve Jimmy Saville

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Sergeant Major Morgan Cook, 39, admitted possessing up to 40,000 rounds...

So whats the legal limit in Britain?
The relevent legislation appears to be this firearms act, but its quite lengthy and I'm not familiar with it at all.
Somebody who knows it better might point out the bit he fell foul of.

And I hope even though he may be guilty, the judge has common sense when it comes to sentencing, November 9th.

edit on 1-11-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

There's this

(1)Subject to any exemption under this Act, it is an offence for a person—

(a)to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, a firearm to which this section applies without holding a firearm certificate in force at the time, or otherwise than as authorised by such a certificate;

(b)to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, any ammunition to which this section applies without holding a firearm certificate in force at the time, or otherwise than as authorised by such a certificate, or in quantities in excess of those so authorised.

I dont know what the actual quantity is.

Seems more than a little insane to say X number of a thing is okay but X+1 is a crime.

Going through the rest of it it sounds like "quantities" is arbitrary subjective depending on who checks off your certificate. If that's the case than this is more idiotic than I thought.
edit on 1-11-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The key question here is, did he have a valid license?

If not, then what he did was an offence. None of the news stories I can find (and it's only covered in the tabloids) mentions his license status.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Your poor British blokes sure don't have a backbone to stop your nanny State.

40,000 rounds of puny .22 ammo is only enough for 4 days of shooting to practice for a competition.

Poor chap, too bad his country hates him.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

The legal limit is what is stipulated on your license.
This is arranged at the time you apply with the local firearms officer.

Mine is 1200 rounds on my premises and I can only purchase a maximum of 1000 rounds.

You have to give very good reasons for wanting to own any more

All purchases of ammo are also logged on you license

They will also check with you club (which you have to be a full member of usually in order to have a section one license unless its for pest control) if your requirements are deemed excessive.

edit on 1-11-2012 by Isolation because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Isolation

A world class rimfire shooter can go through over a thousand rounds a session easy.

Some of the comments claim he was also a coach to several other shooters.

Regardless of the almighty god like powers a stupid certificate seems to have doesnt the reality of it all come off as surreally stupid and pointless?

What is to be gained from hanging this guy out to dry?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Reading around the web, it seems that the issue isnt so much a civil one (that your citizen sporting shooter might be in trouble with) but more of a military matter to do with his being at Defence Intelligence Security Centre at Chicksands.

From what I read, there are strict rules about having ammunition on site, more so than he would face if he was a normal citizen.

This thread seems to tell a story that he should have kept it at the armoury, but it was probably too much hassle for him.

top topics

join