It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to help victims of Hurricane Sandy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
If you want to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy here is how ...

After debating in threads on ATS, a lot of the conversations are sprinkled with "What have you done to help" so now no matter where you are in the world here is what you can do if you want to help the victims.

Hope this does not get deleted and is in the proper forum.

The Red Cross

All donations to the Red Cross provide food, shelter, and other assistance to those affected by Sandy. Visit www.redcross.org or call 800-RED-CROSS to help. Text "Redcross" to 90999 to give $10. During Sandy's assault, 100 Red Cross blood-donation events in the affected regions were canceled, so blood supply is low. To schedule an appointment to give blood, call The New York Blood Center at 800-933-2566 or visit www.nybloodcenter.org.

The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army has set up feeding units and shelters across the disaster zone. To assist their efforts in providing clothing, food, and beds to the displaced, visit www.salvationarmyusa.org. You can also donate $10 to the Salvation Army by texting "STORM" to 80888

NYCService

In New York City, where some 750,000 residents are without electricity, concerned citizens can email nycservice@cityhall.nyc.gov — giving their name, email address, and borough — to get information about ways they can be of assistance.

New Jersey relief

The gambling mecca of Atlantic City and much of New Jersey's popular shoreline have been severely damaged. Volunteers are being coordinated through an emergency response hotline, 1-800-JERSEY-7 (1-800-537-7397). Alternate numbers, should you have trouble getting through, are 609-775-5236 and 908-303-0471.

International relief

Operation USA (www.opusa.org) and International Medical Corps (internationalmedicalcorps.org) are focusing their relief efforts on victims of Hurricane Sandy in Haiti and Cuba, where 69 people were killed when the storm passed there last week. Visit their websites to donate. Operation USA is also accepting text donations. Text "AID" to 50555 to donate $10.

Catholic Charities

Originally posted by Sissel
Here is another charity that people might want to consider:

Catholic Charities works to assess, relieve damage from Hurricane Sandy

Once those distribution sites are set up – which will likely be by early next week – they will be able to handle significant material donations, he said, adding that money is often the most helpful donation because it allows for the local purchase of whatever supplies are needed.

I got this info from here and as I find other ways to donate to the victims of Sandy I will update the thread.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Hurricane Sandy: 10 Tips For Donating Smart

As the devastation from Sandy is still being assessed, charities are helping those in need of food, shelter and security. If you're like most people, you want to support relief efforts, but with so many different options, how can you be sure you're stretching your donation dollar to do the greatest good?

Read on ...

1. Give To An Established Charity

2. Designate Your Investment

3. Avoid Telemarketers

4. Do Not Send Supplies

5. Be Careful Of Email Solicitations

6. Seek Out The Charity’s Authorized Website

7. Think Before You Text

8. Consider The Nature Of The Charity’s Work

9. Be Inspired By Social Media, But Still Do Your Homework

10. Do Not Expect Immediate Results, But Do Keep Tabs On What Your Donation Accomplishes

edit on 1-11-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

Agree 100% with this thread.

The devastation is immense.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I want to Help! I live in NYC and I was Very Fortunate BUT! , I also Donated to Haiti Victims as Many of Us have and after some time it looked Like Nothing got any better and Where did All That Money Go? Seems Mysterious. I hope that Doesn't Happen Again. I want the Money to Go to The People who Need it as well as All of Us This is Tragic, Especially New Jersey and Breezy Point New York. Thank You For Posting the Links. God Bless to All.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Am getting inbox messages of people warning about the The Red Cross ...

I have also read in other threads people complaining about the The Red Cross, so with that in mind heed caution.

Some people like the The Red Cross and some do not. Your mileage may vary.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Here is another charity that people might want to consider:

www.catholicnewsagency.com... news/catholic-charities-works-to-assess-relieve-damage-from-hurricane-sandy/

After Katrina, a friend I stayed with got help with her utility bills.

Once those distribution sites are set up – which will likely be by early next week – they will be able to handle significant material donations, he said, adding that money is often the most helpful donation because it allows for the local purchase of whatever supplies are needed.

edit on 1-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Thanks, added

top topics

join