It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans- Why vote for Badarnik or Nader?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
As a non-American I am trying to understand the logic.

It is obvious that the president will be either Bush or Kerry as that is where the majority of votes will be going, especially with the polls showing a tight contest. The US does not have a viable third party system at this point in time, which means to me that without third party representation in your congress, neither Badarnik nor Nader can hope for a victory to the White House, and therefore will be of no consequence when the votes are counted. I also understand that your house members are on the ballot.

Obviously, you would choose one of these third party presidential candidates over both the incumbents, knowing full well that your vote is removed from one of the two major parties leaving the deciding factor of the election to the staunch democrats and republicans, and the most responsibility in my opinion, to the undecided voter.

Why do this given the understanding that the choice of president will be left up to the voters who will vote democrat or republican?

Why not vote for one of the two for major presidential candidates and one of the other several for congress, thereby hoping to elect as balanced a government as you can have?

Is the outcome of Kerry versus Bush of little importance to the next four years?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween
Why not vote for one of the two for major presidential candidates and one of the other several for congress, thereby hoping to elect as balanced a government as you can have?

Is the outcome of Kerry versus Bush of little importance to the next four years?

Most of us vote third party because we despise Bush and Kerry both. The outcome for us does have little importance because we dont care WHICH of the thieving lying bastards get the job.

In the meantime our third party vote hopefully will get us up to the Magic number 5% which get us funds from the Government and air time next election.

We basicaly understand that the problems we are having are not gonna be solved by EITHER party and the only hope for our country is to take the long view and build a base for a party that WILL make a change in the future

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Once again Amuk...you just summed up exactly what I was going to say as well.

Us 3rd Party voters do not fall into the "a vote for ___ is a vote for ___" BS, or the "vote for the lesser of the two evils". We vote for whom we think is good for this country that way diverting "evil" altogether. I, as well as others, do not think it is right for this country to be played and toyed with the way Republicans and Democrats have been doing of recently (well, throughout History in fact). We vote for who we think will do the best job...

To put it into perspective...

If you were an employer and you had a number of candidates come in for a job interview with you, you would want the best one that is going to do the job right. Right? Its the same with America...the President is America's employee, and we "hire" him/her to do the best job possible. As an employer I will not hire someone that is not what the business is looking for.

This mirrors 3rd Party voters beliefs in the sense that we vote for EXACTLY who we think will complete the job the best. We do not vote Republican or Democrat, because of what they have become!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
first off, i'm voting for bush. second, i'd vote for badnarik if it weren't for, mainly, his unrealistic and irresponsible iraq policy (which is to pull all troops out of iraq within 90 days). third, i think the hope of those that vote 3rd party is that over time, eventually, more and more people will turn to 3rd parties, thus making them viable. that's not too difficult to believe either considering the amount of people that vote 3rd party has risen over the past few elections.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
first off, i'm voting for bush. second, i'd vote for badnarik if it weren't for, mainly, his unrealistic and irresponsible iraq policy (which is to pull all troops out of iraq within 90 days). third, i think the hope of those that vote 3rd party is that over time, eventually, more and more people will turn to 3rd parties, thus making them viable. that's not too difficult to believe either considering the amount of people that vote 3rd party has risen over the past few elections.

Why vote for a 3rd party?

Because the 1st and 2nd parties are the same thing.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
In the meantime our third party vote hopefully will get us up to the Magic number 5% which get us funds from the Government and air time next election.

Do I understand you correctly; as long as your popular vote registers 5%, you are given equal funds and airtime, and therefore your third party can be launched?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween
[Do I understand you correctly; as long as your popular vote registers 5%, you are given equal funds and airtime, and therefore your third party can be launched?

I dont know if its EQUAL funding or air time but it does give government funds and air time. I am sure someone out there knows the details and I well try to look it up and post here when I find out.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I personally believe in the constitution, I believe in true civil liberties not half assed ones, I believe in smaller government, being able to decide where to put YOUR money when it comes to social security, health care, education and TAXES.

I believe gun rights shouldn't be red taped also...

The first and second choices are for more beauracracy, less liberties for the people, although they advocate all the time that they are form them, in a nut shell their slimy political liars.

For the people is Badnarik....

For the government is Kerry and Bush...

The devil's workers are what they are.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
After listening to all three prsidential debates I have decided to vote for a third party candidate. From what I heard both parties are sounding the same. The only difference is the parties name.
Our two major political parties are not looking out for the Nation or its citizens and this attitude can only change with a viable third party.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I look at it this way: The US Presidential Election isint a horse race where you try to pick who you think the winner is (if that were true I would be puting my bets on Bush since his methods usually ensure him a victory dispite the numbers) but rather a race where we get to pick who we want to win. I have seen the policies both Kerry and Bush want to persue, and they stink to me; I've seen what Badnarik has to offer, and I find it far more agreeable to me, so come November second Mr. Badnarik will get my vote in hopes that the 5% marker will be reached so that in four years we may be able to get a LP on the ballot with a hope of getting a fare deal with the media rather than the blackout and shaft they get now.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
I look at it this way: The US Presidential Election isint a horse race where you try to pick who you think the winner is (if that were true I would be puting my bets on Bush since his methods usually ensure him a victory dispite the numbers) but rather a race where we get to pick who we want to win. I have seen the policies both Kerry and Bush want to persue, and they stink to me; I've seen what Badnarik has to offer, and I find it far more agreeable to me, so come November second Mr. Badnarik will get my vote in hopes that the 5% marker will be reached so that in four years we may be able to get a LP on the ballot with a hope of getting a fare deal with the media rather than the blackout and shaft they get now.

I so totally with what you just said, and I'm OVERJOYED that you are participating in this unfair political arena which should be called a monopoly or dictatorship like political arena.

And congratulations to you flycatcher welcome to the club.

If you would like to find your local liberatarian party in your state and county, go to www.lp.org...

Don't stop fighting for your freedoms EVER

Cheers!

Also a great site for updated info is Here

A government that can grant you rights can just as easily take them away

Thank the father's for the constitution.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses. I am beginning to understand that the vote for the third party is to reach that 5% requirement, and from that I presume that your vote will always be going third party, in the hopes that comes to fruition. So a bit more elaboration if you please;

Is the 5% a combination of congressional and presidential votes, or is it strictly based on the latter? And, Are there third party candidates running who belong to your choice of third party presidential candidate?

top topics

join