It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Universe is expanding.... then is time speeding up?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thanks for that explenation. What you are saying seems to make sense. I will take your theory and look into it.

Second line.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by GR1ill3d

Would you consider distance to be merely a construct of our modern age with no real bearing on the rest of the universe?

Touche' My good sir.

2nd.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by Dr Expired

Universal expansion is a metric expansion of space, not time. Time appearing to speed up as you get older is a psychological effect, not a physical one.
Even if time were being affected by universal expansion, we would be unable to detect it, as we exist within that affected time.

However, Einstein said that space and time are inseparably linked: space-time.

I understand where you're coming from, OP, as I have wondered this exact thing as well. I confess that I'm not the best with physics, nor abstract spatial visualizations. I would actually consider several questions:

If time and space are connected, and space is grows larger, would this, itself have an effect on time? Speeding it up, or slowing it down?

If the expansion is speeding up, does this cause time to speed up? Is there maybe an inverse relationship, so that it slows down? Perhaps somehow the physical expansion as well as the increased rate of expansion have contradictory effects on time, canceling each other out?

Does the expansion of space CREATE time, somehow?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Einstein did combine time and space to form a continuum, but that doesn't mean one has to do whatever the other one does. If you stretch something in one dimension, does that automatically mean that it must also stretch in the other 2 dimensions? No, it doesn't. In the same way, space can be (and is) expanding without time also expanding.

edit on 1-11-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join