It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is full tilt?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I keep seeing references to "full tilt". We have 51 days until full tilt. What is that? I'm always someone who uses google before I ask a question, but I can not find anything except for links that bring me back to the posts I found on here.
Thanks!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

Full tilt = pedal to the metal, full speed, maximum power, etc.

P

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

You heard it here on ATS?
Could it be a polar shift reference on Dec 21st?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

You heard it here on ATS?
Could it be a polar shift reference on Dec 21st?

Yes
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Well you can't blame google for 1 single solitary persons use of the phrase "full tilt" and he used it the exact same way both times.

full tilt/full bore/full on -- when things are at the most.

why not just ask the guy?

sure you googled it?

www.merriam-webster.com...
edit on 31-10-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I did. In the thread (so many replies I think my question got lost) and through direct message. No answers yet!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PassedKarma
I did. In the thread (so many replies I think my question got lost) and through direct message. No answers yet!

I'll bet his intended meaning was just that, things will be at their max in.. whatever he said, also I wouldn't put much into it, usually people who tend to recite the same posts verbatim in various threads, have more invested in being the messenger than having a message.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

The first of many mass human transporters leaving the atmosphere. We have 51 days left before full tilt.

link

I'm still thinking the reference is to polar shift on Dec 21st, or maybe we are a giant pinball machine.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Dear PassedKarma,

I believe the term originated from playing pinball machines. If you pushed the machine too much it would lock up and claim that it was a "tilt" or was leaned too much to one side. Full tilt just meant that you pushed things too far. Peace.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It could be a reference to old poker site. fulltiltpoker.com

Their website currently under government seizure and it may coming back online soon.

6 days till full tilt
edit on 31-10-2012 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
HI i believe it was in relation to the equinox which is when the earth is in full tilt(obliquity) toward or away from the sun...or im just reading too much into it and it's simply as stated above

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

Dear MagicWand67,

The term goes back much further in time, it was around in the 70s and there were no online poker sites in the day. Quentin Tarantino used the term "Full Tilt Boogie" which I believe referred the wiggle people did when playing pinball. The idea was to push the machine just enough so that the ball went where you wanted but not so hard as to stop the game and lose the ball for tilting the machine. The machines had sensors in them to prevent it.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Dear MagicWand67,

I forgot something. In poker when you take a bad beat and start pushing to hard the player is said to be on tilt, he is not right in the head and not playing his best game, he has gone over the edge and is playing bad poker.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
omg...

poker, pinball..

Definition of FULL TILT
: at high speed
See full tilt defined for kids »
Examples of FULL TILT

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Dear winofiend,

Yes the meaning of words changes over time. It has a specific meaning in poker and in pinball. The question was what does the term mean today, not in the 1600s and it means multiple things depending on who is using it. Consider the words "the boot", in England if i dent the boot it means refers to the trunk of a car. In America if you are given the boot, it means you were fired. We all know that it also refers to footwear. It is the usage of the term that matters.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I thought it was originally used in jousting. Going full tilt meant you were going for the kill.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

When I first respond to the OP's question I had not read the links that were posted later.

The question wasn't the origins or first use of the term but was asking for meanings of full tilt.

As I pointed out there is a current countdown to the full tilt website relaunching.

After reading the quotes the person was definitely using the term in the context of " being at full force".

edit on 31-10-2012 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Dear MagicWand,

It really means sort of the same in usages. I think originally it meant you were tilted forward to go full force like we do when running. Later the direction of the lean or tilt became more meaningful. Having lived on both coasts, I always found it funny how words changed. On the West Coast people took Physical Education and we called it P.E. on the East Coast they called it gym. For me gym meant gymnastics for them it meant what you did at a gymnasium.

Just for giggles I will tell a true story. I had just moved to New England and was going from one class to another. I arrived late and the teacher asked me where I had been, I told her in P.E., she asked if I had gone to the restroom.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

You said the term originated in the 1960's. Patently wrong. The term means what it means, has meant and will mean. At full capacity. It has been used in this manner SINCE the 1600's and has not changed unless you are redefining it right here and now in this thread.

"We will be at full capacity in 51 days."

has nothing to do with pinball, or poker.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Dear winofiend,

You misunderstand what I am saying. It has a unique meaning in both poker and pinball. Ask anyone who regularly plays poker and they will give the same answer I did. It is not just pushing as hard as you can in poker, it means more, it means that it is a good time to take the player on if you have right cards because they are likely overplaying their hand. I am not saying your answer is wrong, it is simply not the only answer, the terms has slightly different meanings for different people depending on usage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join