It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychic pair fail scientific test

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Originally posted by crankyoldman
Every test of this sort will always fail, but not for the reason people think.

What credible, skilled individual would go and sign up for some lame "prove it or your a fraud" test, with, most likely, young know nothing assistants?

Think about this, where is it written that if you have a skill, you MUST prove it to science people who don't believe you have the skill. To do this, you have to be either foolish, or without the skill, as this just makes no sense.

The world is full of frauds, there are COUNTLESS fraudulent doctors, lawyers (nearly all) politicians, even gardeners. Finding a fraud isn't hard, finding a fraud with something as esoteric as using other senses is easy, but it does NOT negate the skill associated with seeing things in a different way for those who simply wish to do what they do without some lab coated doubting thomas poking and prodding them.

Studies are largely nonsense, especially these type as the all reek of Dr. Venkman or that cartoon villain James Randi. The conclusions are just preposterous: five people failed so there is no such thing! Good lord, what kind of simpleton decides all of reality is "just so" because the see a headline like that?

There is no way, no way at all, ever, a skilled "psychic" (however you define that) would ever subject themselves to some college kid's study to prove they are a fraud - which is really the basis of the study as it has been determined all are frauds already. But there are, many, many foolish, unskilled, maybe fraudulent, surely simpleminded folks who will answer an add posted on a lamppost, but that does not mean they are indicative of anything other then themselves.

Your assertions on the topic are profound; but they are immediately false when we realize that this whole thread is about "skilled psychics" subjecting themselves to some college kid's study. So, indeed, there is a way, a way after-all, and there is documented evidence in the OP.

If you have evidence to support your claims that no skilled psychic would ever submit to such a test, then by all means....

skilled based on what criteria? Self defined. There are people out there who will define themselves as Angina Jolie if asked to do so - it has to be self criteria as the whole study suggest there is no objective definition by which to determine who's psychic and what it is - hence the study.

further the study only shows that these folks, whatever skill level - can't pass THIS test and only that. So what? As history as shown, a great many people can't pass tests for whatever reason. Great actors didn't audition well - test, for some of the parts they have won awards for.

Testing in general only provides that people can pass THAT test, but in most cases it means nothing more then that, in fact, all studies of this sort should say only that: subjects past this test. In most cases the test and in particular the questions are a problem, yet most studies assume their criteria are perfect and the subjects are the problem. As for testing consider this: A test question that all participants must answer to pass is: If you enter an ice cream shop, which are you likely to choose: A. Vanilla. B. Chocolate. C. None of the above. I can't answer the question as C is not an answer that makes sense. The average person will "assume" what is being asked, C=another flavor, but for me the answer is "No ice cream at all," the question is flawed, yet for most people they do not examine the language, they go by what they think is the intent. A guy taking a company survey asked me, "what's your preferred drink: juice, soda, milk, tea, coffee and a few others. I said, "water," which wasn't on the list, he says, "why" and said, "because it is necessary for life." He was confused, the survey was to help open a new juice stand, the question was irrelevant to me in its form. He thought my answer made no real sense and I was being funny - I failed the questioning process at some level.

The nature of other ways of seeing things, often called psychic, is not about seeing things in black and white scientific terms. That's the whole point! So to reduce such matters to overly simplistic questions/answers testing etc. is is akin to demanding LeBron James be good at Playstation basketball to prove his is good a real basketball. To ask a real "psychic" to sit in a ridiculous "science" setting and perform like a trained chimp under circumstances they do not work in is beyond silly, it is foolish and frankly, beneath the skill. Those who can do, and they don't care what others think about it - that is the key component in the process of seeing things beyond what the average person sees. When you reach the level at which this skill, and it is a skill, exists, you are at a level where you will never perform for lab coats to prove anything: their hand in hand.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The real psychics don't become professional psychics...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
The real psychics don't become professional psychics...

I wouldn't say that myself.
There is no telling where a real psychic will go other than crazy

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Those are not the type of tests that universities carry out. People don't perform like that. They are the kind of tests skeptics who want to make ppl fail would try to do.

Universities have performed thousands of tests all around the world with very significant findings along the lines of the kind you can test for.

Don't feel up to finding the video right now, but just google that,

also, www.sheldrake.org...&Papers/papers/telepathy/pdf/experiment_tests.pdf
This had some positive findings, though dogs seem to be better even.

www.fas.org...
congressional oversight

In 1980, Alexander wrote that "there are weapons systems that operate on the power of the mind and whose lethal capacity has already been demonstrated." ("The New Mental Battlefield," Military Review, December 1980, pp. 47-54). In that article, Alexander addressed out-of-body-experiences, psychokinesis, and telepathic behavior modification. "There is sufficient concern about psychic intrusion to cause work to begin on countermeasures such as bioenergy detectors," he advised. He noted that "The information presented here will be considered by some to be ridiculous since it does not conform to their view of reality, but some people still believe the world is flat."

In The Warrior's Edge (Avon Books, NY, 1990), a human potentials handbook for would-be corporate samurai that he co- authored, Alexander described himself as having "evolved from hard-core mercenary to thanatologist, obtaining his doctorate under the direction of Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross.... As a Special Forces A- Team commander in Thailand and Vietnam, he led hundreds of mercenaries [?] into battle. At the same time, he studied meditation in Buddhist monasteries...."

According to the Albuquerque Journal (3/10/93, p.1) Alexander organized a national conference in Santa Fe last year "devoted to researching reports of ritual abuse, near-death experiences, human contacts with extraterrestrial aliens and other so-called `anomalous experiences'." "Something's happening that's impacting on the psyche of America," Alexander told the Journal. "That's for sure."

www.biomindsuperpowers.com...

The type of study is important.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

many years ago my wife dragged me to see a psychic even though i was not a believer .

the psychic was an old lady , she told me things that it was impossible for her to know .

she told me that the man i was about to merge my small construction company with was not what he seemed
and that i should take great care in my dealings with this man .

i later found out that he was a man of straw and a fraudster and everything that he had told me was a lie

so am i a believer now ? yes i think there are people out there that have this ability but i also think that there are a lot of frauds operating a scam .

the best thing to do is ask around and find out the track record of a psychic before you choose one .

So let's get some of these "real" psychics and put them to a test and see. As has already been shown people who have NO GIFT are able to meet strangers and tell them things that it is seemingly impossible for them to know. They do it with various methods that do not include any special psychic gift.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join