Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Psychic pair fail scientific test

page: 3
7
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


many years ago my wife dragged me to see a psychic even though i was not a believer .

the psychic was an old lady , she told me things that it was impossible for her to know .

she told me that the man i was about to merge my small construction company with was not what he seemed
and that i should take great care in my dealings with this man .

i later found out that he was a man of straw and a fraudster and everything that he had told me was a lie

so am i a believer now ? yes i think there are people out there that have this ability but i also think that there are a lot of frauds operating a scam .

the best thing to do is ask around and find out the track record of a psychic before you choose one .




posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


That happens too, where you don't get anything. It all depends on the psychic and their own gifts. I don't know how some psychics can do person after person, and be correct. I could never do that. I think some of these tests are flawed in how they are done. They are to rigid and they need to allow the psychic some input on the tests they perform, because the psychic knows what they are best at and what they suck at.
If science really wanted to study the abilities, they would find a better way of doing it.
Because what they are doing now is not real testing if you ask me.
It is simply set up to make the psychics fail.


But that's just what I feel. If they really wanted to prove it is real they would sit down with a notepad and some paper and listen to a reading as a start to get the trust of the psychic, because under pressure, it is very hard to perform, because it is a mental ability. A psychic needs to be fully relaxed and not in a stance of "OMG I have to prove myself" because then the stress will totally mess with any sort of psychic information they get.

edit on 1-11-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71
 


A psychic needs to be fully relaxed and not in a stance of "OMG I have to prove myself" because then the stress will totally mess with any sort of psychic information they get.

That's the excuse given...after the failure.

I believe the psychics were there under their own volition. I believe the psychics were not forced to produce a reading.



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
So what they did was invite two psychics and had them "read" 5 strangers. They then asked the strangers to look at the readings and choose which one was theirs.


That's a horrible test for the simple reason that the egos of those being read are not objective.

Say one of the 5 was a closet homosexual, and the reading revealed that he was in fact a homosexual. Wanting to keep that fact a secret, do you really think he would own up to that reading?

Letting those people choose which reading applied to them is flawed because people will always choose the reading that paints them in the best light, no matter what the truth may be.



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp
 

Do psychics really "reveal" that sort of thing in their readings?



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I really admire Derren Brown for what he can do but he is bigoted and his hatred of psychics is based on those he knows and dislikes as people and a total disbelief of anything paranormal.

I think that those being tested were carried away with a remote chance of proving that they were right and it backfired on them. They should indeed have been more honest and said they weren't getting anything. Stress is a big inhibitor.

Psychic abilities have no ON/OFF button, one day it's all there, the next, nothing, and that isn't an excuse, it's reality.

I practice and also read Tarot, I don't charge and I sometimes won't read because nothing comes to me. I'm not a fraudster, out to make a profit.

It is never wise to tar everyone with the same brush. Others might think it just as stupid that people believe in conspiracies or UFOs. A bit of respect goes a long way folks! IMO of course!!
edit on 1-11-2012 by Alien44 because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage
 


That was a hypothetical example.



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This was a poor test because no one is going to own up to a reading that is so revealing. People like to keep their secrets, and people lie all the time to hide their true feelings. If I saw myself written down on a sheet of paper, I might deny it too, just out of shame and embarrassment.

Well, I probably wouldn't (it takes a lot to shame or embarrass me, I'm more likely to smile, hold up the sheet and flip the birdy at the same time) but there's a lot of people who would.

Again, a faulty experiment. If this is how science plans to unveil and prove psychic phenomena, then I'll go to a more serious source. Stupid effing science students. What were they thinking?

If anyone wants proof of the extranatural, try "Supernature" by Lyall Watson



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


This really doesn't prove anything.
At most it MIGHT prove that these two individuals are not psychic, but even that would be stretching it.

I don't think people have the slightest clue what 'pyschic' even means.

It doesn't mean you can 'read' the future or know ANYthing (much less EVERYthing) about someone you don't know, haven't met or have never seen. (Granted, Edgar Cayce did this very regularly and very accurately.)

I personally know many psychics. Only one woman I know charges money for it, but she is very genuinely an extremely nice older woman who I can testify for as to being very keen and sensative to energies.

That's the thing: most (true) psychics need to SEE the person, or at least be near them, in order to 'see' and 'read' their subtle energies. Maybe the two people involved in this test didn't realize the conditions they would be in when they agreed, or maybe they thought they'd still give it a shot, or maybe (sure) they could be fakes. But then why would a fake agree to strict testing?? That makes even less sense than a 'psychic' agreeing to the testing even if they know it may be more difficult.

And really, can you say you've never had a psychic intuition? I'm sure you have. I've had plenty! Still do all the time. All you have to do is listen to your intuition, and silence your mind enough to hear what it's saying. It's kind of sad that people consider something that is meant to be so natural to now be 'supernatural' or 'super hero' of sorts. Granted, there definitely are people who have more of a natural gift for it than others, but it is nonetheless an ability all of us have.



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   


For the simple fact that these people are preying on other's gullibility and naivety.
reply to post by LesMisanthrope
 


Psychics are not alone in this, we see this happening all over the place. Some are sincere and honest, some are not.

...Infomercials
...Politics
...Religious Cults/Religion
...Repairmen
...Con men
...Pyramid Schemes
...Investors
...Charities



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
In my view: The biggest test for a psychic is whether or not they charge money.


Thank you.

Put money into anything and it tends to dilute the real purpose.

Think of money as water and life as Jack Daniels. I'll take it straight with just enough ice to keep it interesting.

Whenever I think of psychics who charge for their services I think of a circus act. I don't why. I guess I just feel that the more you talk about something and the more public you want it all to become, the less meaning it keeps.

The real psychics, if you can pick them out of the crowd, tend to keep it to themselves because they don't want to be associated with the fakes and the wanna-be's. Can't blame them really.




posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple
 

John Edward isn't real?
I'm bummed.
edit on 11/1/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Not to play matchmaker or anything, but there's a member here, Sara1833, whom you might want to try to get with and chat with. You seem to have a bit in common. No, I'm not a psychic, but some things are obvious. You're both in the Midwest and you both seem to be surrounded by family who are highly religious and closed minded ( Not that the two necessarily go hand in hand) and you're both.........................here. Of all places.


Originally posted by innervision0730
Moms know everything I guess lol


Don't they? They seem to have a knack for that sort of thing.

youtu.be...




posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Taupin Desciple
 

John Edward isn't real?
I'm bummed.
edit on 11/1/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)


Of course he is. He's a real person. But it doesn't take a psychic to figure out that when you advertise your services to a specific consumer market through a specific medium ( Sorry, I couldn't resist), you're going to get money.

So yeah, I guess he is a "real" psychic. He can foretell that the future is going to bring him more money.


( See, I can do sarcasm too)




posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by The Cusp
 

Do psychics really "reveal" that sort of thing in their readings?


If they intuit it when someone is trying to hide it, then yes it is the honourable thing to do.



John Edward isn't real?
I'm bummed.


He's a real human being. But his 'work' is that of a circus entertainer....platform work for crowds of people who paid far too much for their show tickets.

When he was in Oz he charged a couple over $900 for a half an hour session.

One of the most famous mediums here in Oz charges around $100 for a 15 minutes session.

Both are doing the this work for the wrong reasons.. to support their Lifestyle aspirations, not to assist anyone dead or alive.



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Darkblade71
 


A psychic needs to be fully relaxed and not in a stance of "OMG I have to prove myself" because then the stress will totally mess with any sort of psychic information they get.

That's the excuse given...after the failure.

I believe the psychics were there under their own volition. I believe the psychics were not forced to produce a reading.


I agree there,
they did agree to the test.



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Every test of this sort will always fail, but not for the reason people think.

What credible, skilled individual would go and sign up for some lame "prove it or your a fraud" test, with, most likely, young know nothing assistants?

Think about this, where is it written that if you have a skill, you MUST prove it to science people who don't believe you have the skill. To do this, you have to be either foolish, or without the skill, as this just makes no sense.

The world is full of frauds, there are COUNTLESS fraudulent doctors, lawyers (nearly all) politicians, even gardeners. Finding a fraud isn't hard, finding a fraud with something as esoteric as using other senses is easy, but it does NOT negate the skill associated with seeing things in a different way for those who simply wish to do what they do without some lab coated doubting thomas poking and prodding them.

Studies are largely nonsense, especially these type as the all reek of Dr. Venkman or that cartoon villain James Randi. The conclusions are just preposterous: five people failed so there is no such thing! Good lord, what kind of simpleton decides all of reality is "just so" because the see a headline like that?

There is no way, no way at all, ever, a skilled "psychic" (however you define that) would ever subject themselves to some college kid's study to prove they are a fraud - which is really the basis of the study as it has been determined all are frauds already. But there are, many, many foolish, unskilled, maybe fraudulent, surely simpleminded folks who will answer an add posted on a lamppost, but that does not mean they are indicative of anything other then themselves.



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
Every test of this sort will always fail, but not for the reason people think.

What credible, skilled individual would go and sign up for some lame "prove it or your a fraud" test, with, most likely, young know nothing assistants?

Think about this, where is it written that if you have a skill, you MUST prove it to science people who don't believe you have the skill. To do this, you have to be either foolish, or without the skill, as this just makes no sense.

The world is full of frauds, there are COUNTLESS fraudulent doctors, lawyers (nearly all) politicians, even gardeners. Finding a fraud isn't hard, finding a fraud with something as esoteric as using other senses is easy, but it does NOT negate the skill associated with seeing things in a different way for those who simply wish to do what they do without some lab coated doubting thomas poking and prodding them.

Studies are largely nonsense, especially these type as the all reek of Dr. Venkman or that cartoon villain James Randi. The conclusions are just preposterous: five people failed so there is no such thing! Good lord, what kind of simpleton decides all of reality is "just so" because the see a headline like that?

There is no way, no way at all, ever, a skilled "psychic" (however you define that) would ever subject themselves to some college kid's study to prove they are a fraud - which is really the basis of the study as it has been determined all are frauds already. But there are, many, many foolish, unskilled, maybe fraudulent, surely simpleminded folks who will answer an add posted on a lamppost, but that does not mean they are indicative of anything other then themselves.


Your assertions on the topic are profound; but they are immediately false when we realize that this whole thread is about "skilled psychics" subjecting themselves to some college kid's study. So, indeed, there is a way, a way after-all, and there is documented evidence in the OP.

If you have evidence to support your claims that no skilled psychic would ever submit to such a test, then by all means....



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The test itself is extremely flawed because you are basing the results on how the people pereive themselves.

The test was based on the same criteria that they use for hack astrology. People are going to see in themselves what they want to see.

"You are an intelligent, thoughtful, kind person"

Anyone can think that of themselves. No one is going to like: you are disorganized and unattractive.

We would all agree with the first statement.

Sorry, but basing results on self interpretation is not a test at all.

First off, they tested psychic abilities of mediums. Mediums channel the dead, they are rarely psychic. They are testing one kind of ESP on a another.

I would question any psychic medium, as mediums rarely have more then mediumship.

We don't know who these two psychics are, or what their abilities are, since the article or the test can't even seem to define the different kinds.

It is like saying that a bottle ship builder if fake because he can't rebuild a transmission.
edit on 1-11-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons



For the simple fact that these people are preying on other's gullibility and naivety.
reply to post by LesMisanthrope
 


Psychics are not alone in this, we see this happening all over the place. Some are sincere and honest, some are not.

...Infomercials
...Politics
...Religious Cults/Religion
...Repairmen
...Con men
...Pyramid Schemes
...Investors
...Charities





I absolutely agree. Luckily, the skeptic still stands in defence of his brothers and sisters. But, for some reason, everyone still hates a skeptic.





new topics

top topics



 
7
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join