It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bones, Caskets Unearthed by Sandy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This story is a bit unnerving on a couple different levels, I didn't see it posted yet so I thought I'd share with the ATS community for discussion. I tossed around what forum to place this in and decided this forum fit best, coincidentally on Halloween. I am going to post some specific excerpts in regards to why I find this unnerving but I recommend reading the full article.

ABC News Full Article

Bones, Caskets Unearthed by Sandy

Residents of New Haven, Conn., got an eerie Halloween surprise when a famed tree uprooted during Hurricane Sandy, unearthing the bones of a woman who died nearly 200 years ago. Around 6 p.m. on Monday the famous tree at New Haven's Upper Green, named the "Lincoln Oak" after President Abraham Lincoln, was uprooted as Sandy swept through. New Haven resident Katie Carbo was passing by when she saw the back of a skull in the 60- to 70-foot-tall tree's roots, police said.

Carbo quickly contacted the New Haven police, and soon after detectives were on the scene as a crowd of onlookers formed. Officer David Hartman with the New Haven Police Department told ABCNews.com that the timing of the discovery was particularly striking. "I found myself standing there, among onlookers saying, 'wow this is really cool, the day before Halloween,'" he said.

I suppose being a detective and seeing this type of thing evolves into it being "cool", which some may find a bit callus, but I was able to write that portion off, but then I got to this portion of the article.

New Haven police said that the bones belonged to a probable victim of yellow fever or smallpox, who likely was buried between 1799 and 1821, when the headstones were removed to New Haven's Grove Street Cemetery, but the bodies were never relocated.

It reminded me of a line in the first Poltergeist movie...

You son of a #####, you moved the cemetery but you left the bodies, didn't you? You son of a #####, you left the bodies and you only moved the headstones!! YOU ONLY MOVED THE HEADSTONES!!! WHY?! WHY?!

Halloween or not that part of the story just had an air of morbidness to it given all the surrounding circumstances imo. I realize it probably was decided as unfeasible to exhume all the bodies and was easier to just move the headstones but still...it is creepy to think of how many cemeteries or old burial grounds that are just one flood away from being exposed. I do hope they find a suitable place to put the body back to rest.
edit on 10/31/2012 by UberL33t because: punctuation

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I agree with your feelings of uneasiness. To relocate headstones and not the earthly remains from sacred ground reeks of insensitivity. The cabal/illuminati/whatever are well known for their lack of insensitivity. I wonder whether a researcher will follow this discovery through and find out more.

I describe myself as Spiritual rather than religious and I find that we are living in a time where long held secrets are being uncovered. It just seems to me that history is being confronted on a lot of levels - via the media we seem to see a lot more of what is actually happening rather than hearing by word of mouth or reading.

To see human remains unearthed as they have been in this article screams to me - that we need to look at why this person was buried here and why were they not re-interred with some respect. I sense something rather nasty from history is involved here.

Much Peace...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
this has already been posted today, sorry to tell you but this thread will probably be shut down.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I wonder if that's why the cemetery out by me isn't haunted...
That's a really cool article though especially right before Halloween. I feel bad for the families/friends visiting thinking their bodies were there.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

Originally posted by ladyteeny
this has already been posted today, sorry to tell you but this thread will probably be shut down.

Thanks for the mini-mod report. Would you be so kind as to post a link to the thread? If it is the same forum then I will be happy to concede this thread and add my comments to that thread

edit on 10/31/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Maybe Jimmy Hoffa will finally surface in someone's back yard?

Peace

edit on 31-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Ha...I actually thought of that...too funny, yeah they didn't find him under that drive-way in Michigan so, still a possibility.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

i had a quick look but i'm at work and it's not easy to go searching. either way it was meant as more of a 'there's more info on ats already on this subject' than anything else.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

Gotcha, I searched to, to no avail in regards to the story using various keywords but nothing populated so I went with it. By all means though, when you are in the position to do so, you should add the link to the thread if you can find it again.

edit on 10/31/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Neat story for Halloween. Pretty interesting the detective tracked it back that far so quickly. The Detective or Pathologist must be up on the History for that area.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Yeah, that is rather interesting. I also found the tree interesting in that it is probable that this tree was planted to cover the fact there was a cemetery, or at least bodies still there. Skeletons seemingly always find a way to come out of the closet when they get covered up don't they...or out of the ground in this case (pardoning any insensitivity).

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

is it a common practice that when grave yards are moved the dead stay put?
not that it matters to me,after my spirit has broken free of this body i dont care what happens to my carcass (horrible word)
but im positive others would feel aggrieved if this is the case

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

Good question, if it is common practice it probably isn't made very public. Not sure how often cemeteries get relocated but I would suppose the decision to remove the bodies at rest has to do with the age of the cemetery?

Still for me, it doesn't sit well so it is probably best that relocations aren't publicly announced. Pretty sure they'd get a little bit of backlash on some level...ground level that is.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
S&F to the OP for posting such a fascinating article. In towns that have been around for a long time, I'm not surprised to have a few long dead people popping up. Vary rare in New England for weather to bring up some bones. Very common in places like New Orleans. Why is why they have above ground cement crpts down there, if I recall correctly.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The detective was able to narrow the burial site down to a 22 year period. Probably not a coincidence that they planted the "Lincoln Oak" there in 1909. Very strange it uprooted during Sandy though. And what is with the picture of the copper casket thrown out of the ground at the bottom of the article?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cauliflower

New Haven is not the only place where the dead were unearthed in Sandy's wake. The Associated Press reported that at a cemetery in Crisfield, Md., two caskets were forced out of their graves, making their sides visible from the grass, after the cement slabs covering the graves became dislodged.

there ya go!
from the same article

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I live in the town of Crisfield also mentioned in the article, all our coffins have concrete slabs holding the bodies under, there are busted open coffins where skulls are visible....but they have been that way for sometime..I imagine those bones floated to the surface...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Not trying to insult anyone's religion or spirituality here, but isn't it kind of a good thing that this body is under a tree, in the ground without a coffin protecting it?

Shouldn't bodies be allowed to naturally degrade into the ground and return to there place in the "circle of life"? Seems that a body should be allowed to naturally "fertilize" the tree and grass above them. Or is it better to seal them in a coffin and pump them full of preservatives?( I do realize this is only really done in modern times )
edit on 1-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It was a dark and stormy night... ZOMBIES!!! Or, a good Poe work with the whole perfect storm, unearthed graves thing!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kat2684

I live in the town of Crisfield also mentioned in the article, all our coffins have concrete slabs holding the bodies under, there are busted open coffins where skulls are visible....but they have been that way for sometime..I imagine those bones floated to the surface...

As a Naval Academy graduate, I've always appreciated the history and beauty of the Chesapeake Bay.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join