It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Retailer Urges Workers To Take 'Civics Course' With Anti-Obama Content

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Mods, please move if its in the wrong forum.

Major Retailer Urges Workers To Take 'Civics Course' With Anti-Obama Content - Alternet

If you live in the Midwest and you're working on a home-improvement project, you're as likely to do your shopping at a Menards store as at a Lowe's or Home Depot. With 270 stores and 40,000 employees , Menards is the third-largest home-improvement chain in the U.S., and one of the largest privately held corporations in the country. But Menards stores sell more than just lumber and building supplies; their employees are sold a bill of goods in the form of right-wing ideology. This January, as the Iowa Caucuses were underway, Menards began encouraging employees to take an at-home online "civics" course that characterizes the economic policies of President Barack Obama as a threat to the success of businesses such as Menards, and by extension, to the employees' own well-being.

This is going way to far. Any person that works for any organization that engages in voter intimidation against employees needs to rot in "federal pound me in the a** prison." Worst part is, it's completely ignored by the "media" and rest of the US population. Gaaaah!, this is just so infuriating, I can just scream obscenities until I lose my voice.

I forgot to mention, that the Koch Brothers are involved according to the article.
edit on 31-10-2012 by ssj2gohan83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Did anyone stop to think the course might actually have content that helps ?

What exactly is the course about ?

With the stagnant employment situation, maybe this has merit ?

Anything anti-Obama and pro-business related can't be all bad.

Any members here taken the course ?

EDIT: forgot to add....

Just so everybody knows who we are dealing with .....

AlterNet, a project of the non-profit Independent Media Institute, is a progressive/liberal activist news service.

Launched in 1998, AlterNet now claims a readership of over 3 million visitors per month[3] (the web ratings service Quantcast estimates that it receives 1.3 million).[4]

AlterNet publishes original content as well as journalism from a wide variety of other sources. AlterNet states that its mission is to "inspire citizen action and advocacy on the environment, human rights and civil liberties, social justice, media, and health care issues."[3] AlterNet's tagline is "The Mix is the Message."

AlterNet

edit on Oct-31-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ssj2gohan83

If you live in the Midwest and you're working on a home-improvement project, you're as likely to do your shopping at a Menards store as at a Lowe's or Home Depot. With 270 stores and 40,000 employees , Menards is the third-largest home-improvement chain in the U.S., and one of the largest privately held corporations in the country. But Menards stores sell more than just lumber and building supplies; their employees are sold a bill of goods in the form of right-wing ideology. This January, as the Iowa Caucuses were underway, Menards began encouraging employees to take an at-home online "civics" course that characterizes the economic policies of President Barack Obama as a threat to the success of businesses such as Menards, and by extension, to the employees' own well-being.

This is going way to far. Any person that works for any organization that engages in voter intimidation against employees needs to rot in "federal pound me in the a** prison."

How is 'encouraging' voter intimidation?
edit on 31-10-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ssj2gohan83

What I don't like is them suggesting people have to take this course at home. I would do it if they want to pay for my time, and I'd even take the tests, just to play their game.

They can encourage this crap all they want to, but when it comes down to it, they have no say in any persons voting decision.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

organization that engages in voter intimidation against employees

I'm not seeing where the intimidation comes in. Just because you take the class, pass it and increase your chances for promotion, that doesn't mean they brainwashed you into voting for the other candidate. That means that you did what you had to in order to provide a better life for you and yours.

I'm not seeing any ethics violations here either as this isn't forced on anyone. You can choose to help upgrade your life or not.

It's all good from where I sit.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Read the whole article. The course tells the employees to what is "best" for the company by telling them the course of action to take at polls. This is no different when CEOs telling there to employees that voting for Obama is bad for the Company.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
You need to take your time to read the whole article, and not just parts of it. Then comment on it.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't have a Menards store in my area. How do I get one?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

Read the whole article. The course tells the employees to what is "best" for the company by telling them the course of action to take at polls. This is no different when CEOs telling there to employees that voting for Obama is bad for the Company.

I did. Here's a bit you missed out of your OP.

'Menards employees who sign up for the course are graded on their knowledge via a multiple choice pass-fail test, and those who pass the test are acknowledged in company publications and bulletins. While workers are not required to take the course, those who hope for promotions may feel pressure to do so, since it is clear that management is paying attention to who is or isn't taking the at-home classes, which are conducted on the employees' own time.'

How is it 'voter intimidation' again?
edit on 31-10-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Sounds like some equal time after suffering their public school educations. Do you have any idea the crap they dish out in the public schools, and on the taxpayers dime?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Here is my point of view on this subject.... Business owner is worried that the president's policies will affect his business. If these policies cost the business owner money he might need to lay off employees. He then shares his fears with employees and recommends some sort of online class in civics or as in other instances puts political propaganda into paycheck envelopes. I really don't see an issue here. If a policy affects the employer than it will affect the employees.

Also, we have 2 things that protect us in these cases...Freedom of speech and secret ballots. I can tell you all day long that I voted for person x but how will you ever know if that is true or not.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I see this as a form of brainwashing or indoctrination with more than just an insinuation that if they do not take the course there career will go nowhere or go away. IMO.

I find it tasteless to say the least.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
What's wrong with getting informed on the issues?

I'm sure people would hate having to end up like these folks.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

It may be tasteless, but it isn't illegal and it isn't forcing people to vote a certain way. It is what it is.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Here's more information if you are so inclined. All this article entails is that Romney told employers to tell there employees how to vote, but on larger scale.

Here's an excerpt to on one of the stories posted above:

Mike White, the chairman and owner of Rite-Hite, a major Milwaukee manufacturer of industrial equipment, told employees in an email this week that all employees "should understand the personal consequences to them of having our tax rates increase dramatically if President Obama is re-elected, forcing taxpayers to fund President Obama's future deficits and social programs (including Obamacare), which require bigger government." The email stunned some employees. One employee said he felt threatened by the email. "It's a good company, but for this to come out, it's absurd," the employee said. The employee said even supervisors were surprised by the tone of the email.

Racheals Maddow Blog

Here's another excerpt from the story that was posted from the blog:

Rite-Hite owner warns employees of risks of voting Obama

Mike White, the chairman and owner of Rite-Hite, a major Milwaukee manufacturer of industrial equipment, wanted to be sure his employees understood what he feels is at stake in the presidential election.

In an email sent this week to employees, White said his workers "should understand the personal consequences to them of having our tax rates increase dramatically if President Obama is re-elected, forcing taxpayers to fund President Obama's future deficits and social programs (including Obamacare), which require bigger government."

Rite-Hite e-mail

You are saying that this isn't voter intimidation of some kind. Get out of here.

Oh looky, here are some more stories related to this.
Activities of former Cain operative scrutinized
Koch to Employees: Vote Romney or Bad Things Will Happen (Maybe to Your Job)

Toodles.

edit on 31-10-2012 by ssj2gohan83 because: Minor edits

edit on 31-10-2012 by ssj2gohan83 because: Forgot Link

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I'm glad business owners are taking the time to teach their employees about how absolutely evil Obama and his cronies are. I, for one, would welcome this company to my town with open arms. I'd encourage my child to work for them when he came of age. I'd be proud of them. Know why? They are American. They recognize the danger that America is in and are doing what logical steps are within their power and sphere of influence to change it. As to it being 'voter intimidation' - that's laughable. Go ask the BPP about voter intimidation for Obama, I'm sure they'll bring you up to speed. Or ACORN. Or 99% of high schools and colleges around the country with their 'social'(ist) studies.

You know what the best part is? It is their business - they can do as they please. And you, likewise can hate it and squirm all you want. Go cry to MSNBC, I'm sure they'd love to listen to your sob story about how unfair it is.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think if you're pro-Obama, you should consider shopping from Toledo for your lumber supplies.

Following a tour of a Chrysler automobile assembly plant on June 3, President Barack Obama paid an unexpected visit to Fred’s PRO Hardware in Toledo, Ohio. It seems that the First Lady needed gardening gloves.

Obama chose a pair of $4.99 green Boss Dirt Digger gloves. After the purchase, he posed for photos with store employees and approximately seven customers before leaving in his motorcade.

We can further deduce the message True Americans will not shop at a Menards, or other nationally franchised store :

"Fred's PRO Hardware has been a PRO Hardware store for over 30 years," Kalbach said. "I'm sure this ranks as one of their most famous customers. I'm happy that the President chose an independent hardware store."

www.homechannelnews.com...

edit on 1-11-2012 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It is freedom of speech. I do not have to agree with what someone has to say to afford them that freedom. That, after all, is the biggest test of an individuals love and appreciation of freedom and Liberty...can you allow someone you disagree with the freedom to be who they are and say what the wish to say?

I can see why some folks are getting a little p!ssy about these companies doing these things. It does have a smack of intimidation to it. "You know if you vote in the wrong guy, the company will do poorly and we might have to let you go". On one hand, that is just being blunt...on another, yes it does have overtones of manipulation. However, that is not technically wrong.

As a Libertarian, I believe in nothing but freedom and liberty. I believe in allowing people their rights as given by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I do not have to agree with how someone uses their rights to be willing to fight so that they can have them.

The whole idea that you are all for freedom until you disagree with someone...well...that has a word to describe it...it's called "hypocrisy".

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I see this as a form of brainwashing or indoctrination with more than just an insinuation that if they do not take the course there career will go nowhere or go away. IMO.

I find it tasteless to say the least.

And I am sure that you beam with pride about all the Public Schools having kids sing songs in praise of 0bama and teachers arguing with students and throwing them out of class when the student criticizes 0bama.

There is nothing wrong, as I am sure that if you work for Media Matters, that they all boast hating Conservatives and so on.

Private business. Not only do you not have to work there, but if you do, you don't have to take the class.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ssj2gohan83

I don't think "political orientation" is a protected class?

They can choose to only hire Registered Republicans if they want to, and it wouldn't be a violation of any employment laws.

In fact, if the civics course is slanted toward conservative and libertarian policies that would paint Obama in a bad light, perhaps it will open some eyes and they'll realize Romney is the same as Obama, and maybe it will actually educate voters to abandon the false two-party dichotomy, and really look at their candidate choices for a change?

There is no such thing as "too much information," so the course is a great thing. The votes are anonymous, so nobody is going to get fired over voting for Obama, but even if they did, so what? Its a private corporation, they can fire you for being a redhead if they want, or fire you for dating someones ex, or fire you just because they want to hire someone else instead.

Someone at my work got fired over having a rebel flag bumper sticker.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join