It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paleontologist ‘blown away’ by Vancouver Island fossil find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Paleontologist ‘blown away’ by Vancouver Island fossil find

metronews.ca...

One of the largest ammonite fossils ever discovered on Vancouver Island has been unearthed near Nanaimo.

The metre-long fossil was spotted in September by a woman and her son hiking near Mount Benson. When they realized what they had found, they immediately contacted their friend, paleontologist Graham Beard.

Beard works with the Qualicum Beach Museum, and has been collecting fossils on Vancouver Island for 40 years. He says this is the largest complete ammonite shell he’s ever seen.

“I couldn’t believe how large it was,” he said. “When I got to the site, I was blown away.”

Ammonites are ancient shelled mollusks — distant relatives of modern creatures like the octopus or squid — that lived during the Cretaceous era. Beard says the creature found near Mount Benson is about 70 million years old.

“It’s a significant find,” he said. “Scientists are going to gain a lot of new information about the ammonites in our area.”

Beard has spent the past few weeks making a cast of the fossil, and hopes to have it on display in the museum by the spring.

Hikers find giant fossil

www.timescolonist.com...

An ammonite fossil believed to be the largest ever found on Vancouver Island has been unearthed near Nanaimo.

Two residents were hiking near Mount Benson when they stumbled upon the fossilized impression of the ancient sea creature.

The spiral-shaped, shelled marine animal is about one metre wide at its widest point.

The fossil is still in the woods where it was found, and its exact location is being closely guarded.

"I'm looking forward to getting it displayed in a museum," said Graham Beard, a Qualicum Beach Museum paleontologist.

Beard made a cast of the fossil. When it is ready, it will be displayed in the museum.

Elke and Enzo Wohlleben found the fossil while out walking. They told Beard, who contacted a member of the Geological Survey of Canada. The pair visited the fossil.

"When we got there, I realized it was a mould." The fossil was the mud around which the animal died.

"It was one of the largest ones I've seen," Beard said. "It's a very important specimen. It's still there. It's intact. I'd like it to stay that way."

Ammonites were marine creatures related to the living Nautilus. They are used by geologists to help measure geological time. How do they swim?

Meet Dennis Parsons, Curator of Natural Sciences. He uses the present to unlock the secrets of the past, discovering the stories preserved as fossils.

edit on 31-10-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 31/10/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is quite interesting...never would have thought that in BC Canada there would be a significant fossil find.

However, seeing as Nanaimo is part of Vancouver Island, I wouldn't be surprised that the fossil found was that of a prehistoric sea creature.

Just shows you there are more fossils out there than we know!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Thats so cool, i found an Anamite about half that size in the UK about 20 years ago.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I found one about three times that size in Sweden.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I have had a serious crush on Sir David Frederick Attenborough for most of my life after seeing him pick up an ammonite fossil out of the stream bed of a Himalayan river bed. They are similar to today's nautilus. This is an exciting find if your into fossils and I am.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Amazing find, always cool to see these types of things. Unfortunately, it's early here in Phoenix and all I could think was how much it looked like a giant donut...total Homer moment

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Scientists surprised once again. According to some on here, science knows everything there is to know..................sure........

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
Scientists surprised once again. According to some on here, science knows everything there is to know..................sure........

Huh?

I don’t think any legitimate scientist or those that take an interest in science would blatantly state that they know everything. That would make for a not very good Scientist, as their jobs depend on the unknowns

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

Huh?

I don’t think any legitimate scientist or those that take an interest in science would blatantly state that they know everything. That would make for a not very good Scientist, as their jobs depend on the unknowns

Of course I agree with you.

However, I can show you quotes where other posters on here, some with high post and star counts, have asked me this or a similar question: "Show me where science has been wrong".

Last time I remember this happening was a few months ago and I'm not going to go digging through the posts, but if you interested in finding such posts I suggest you use the search function.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

Huh?

Of course I agree with you.

However, I can show you quotes where other posters on here, some with high post and star counts, have asked me this or a similar question: "Show me where science has been wrong".

Last time I remember this happening was a few months ago and I'm not going to go digging through the posts, but if you interested in finding such posts I suggest you use the search function.

Okay, now that's funny...comparing what scientists believe to what ATS posters (with high post and star counts) believe

Dude, that was the worst argument ever! In no way shape or form are ATS members scientists!

Moreover, please provide us with quotes with their respected threads by those ATS members which have asked that question: "Show me where science has been wrong?"

This would make for good entertainment...and I'll see you on the other side of the moon

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avgudar
I found one about three times that size in Sweden.

So if you found one 3 times this size, show us a picture of it maybe?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

If you want to find the posts you're welcome to use the search function.

I just laughed when I saw posters asking me "Where has science been wrong", but they received quite a few stars and I didn't get much support, though some, which I couldn't care less about, but I just thought such questions were extremely comedic coming from people who worship science.

Obviously science has been wrong thousands of times, and almost everything science believes today was scoffed at some time in the past, as much of what we believe today will likely garner a good laugh from scientists at some time in the future.

top topics

join