It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice planning evacuation route for sister stuck in Brooklyn..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
SO my sister is stuck in Brooklyn. I created this thread in an effort to help plan for her the best evacuation route out of Brooklyn. She plans to wait it out, but I am worried that things will break down in the next couple of days in Brooklyn and I would like to give her at least an emergency action plan should things get really bad around her. As things stand she is stuck in Brooklyn. Public transportation will be down for MANY DAYS.
She can walk but that can take a day and a half to get almost out and she would still be in the city, so....What would you think is the safest and fastest route out of Brooklyn.

I am considering pedestrian traffic in an emergency, threat of looters moving up from south of her current location,(park slope area) ect.

My questions are
What area should she head to.

What route should she take to avoid flooded areas, and looters, and possible bad neighborhoods/ neighborhoods where police precincts have been abandoned.

What is her best bet out of the city, Brooklyn in particular.

The bridges are walk-able from what I gather.

She lives in the park slope area. She says things are fine and that neighbors are helping each other out. No electricity of course. She is an able bodied adult, with a likewise husband. They would be on foot since their car would be useless getting out of Brooklyn. Maybe I am getting nervous, but this is how I think. I don't like to be surprised and I would like to be able to offer her some information at least, since I am thousands of miles away.

My worries are that once the looters south of her finish cleaning out the stores, or the people hunkered down at home run out of things, they will venture out to grab what they can. Police are around, but are really busy. A 911 call is almost useless. My friend is a LEO in Westchester and he told me that it is a disaster in Brooklyn as far as the cops are concerned. Couldn't tell me much more.

SO ATS, can you help me out. I have nobody in Brooklyn besides my sister. I don't know where to send her in a SHTF scenario. I already told her to prepare a bug out bag, and what to pack. I would like to know though, where should I send her. From what point is traffic circulating in NYC, to where she can arrange transportation to other areas where life is a little more normal.

Thanks in advance.

edit on 31-10-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by manykapao

Sorry, don't know anything about the area, but I'm thinking this is probably the worst possible time to be planning a bugout. No offense, it is what it is, but if she is still there now, she might as well be planning for bugging IN, not out. What resources are available, what shelter, what authorities, and how to best secure her own home. If things break down, she won't want to be bugging out, she'll want to be hunkering down.

The time for bugout was Sunday.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by manykapao

My friend is a LEO in Westchester and he told me that it is a disaster in Brooklyn as far as the cops are concerned. Couldn't tell me much more.

Wouldn't this person know the safest route? Hopefully somebody here on ATS is familiar with that area.

Wouldn't you feel awful though if you followed somebody's advice here and something happened to her?

I also wonder, why is she stuck there? Any particular reason she didn't leave before the storm hit?

link   
the Verrazano narrows bridge is out of the question. I was thinking it to avoid lower Manhattan. Looting already reported there, and several precincts either abandoned due to flooding or over worked to the point of being useless. No security along that route. (SW)

I don't know, but I am thinking the Brooklyn bridge is her best bet, but it would be packed and too crowded to get along safely, not to mention that once across I think that part of Manhattan is still a mess as well. If she does take the Brooklyn bridge, how far until she can get to working roads to arrange transportation?

I know the east village is a wreck, so I am thinking once in Manhattan to use the west side, maybe even the high way to avoid crazy people, not to mention it might be faster if she can get herself a bike. I am still waiting for her to answer me back about that. She thinks I am going off the deep end. I don't care. I am worried and there is nothing but this to do , so....

link   
If neighbors are helping each other like she said, they will surely stick together against any intruders. Try not to worry too much. I know that's not easy. Stay in touch with her and I'm sure you will be re-assured of her safety.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I hope your sister stays safe. And I think she might be better off staying put, looters are starting to come out and it will get bad soon.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

I just want to brain storm, and pool information you guys might have on hand. My friend has been on call since the mess started, and he is in Westchester, not the city. He has no idea either.

My sister is not really a prepper. I told her to leave Sunday, but...anyways. I want to offer her something. Mind you, this is not even something she asked for, but I would like for her to have a map on her cell that I can send her with what I can gather are the danger zones to avoid, should she have to leave in a hurry.

If you don't want to help, fine. I want suggestions, things you know, things you have read lately and what I can use to plan a route for her. Many heads are better than mine.

She is going to wait it out, but I am worried that she might have to leave in a hurry.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think it might be pretty foolish to try to leave now. I know some people in Brooklyn and they are all fine.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by manykapao

Here's the thing. If she isn't a prepper, and if you are afraid she might have to leave in a hurry, then her best bet is to do the opposite! If people are leaving in a hurry, then stay home and hunker down. If she can slip out quietly right now, before the crowd, then fine. I'd say the water is her best bet. Get down to the water and see if there are any ferries, or private boats running. Many might have been destroyed, but maybe some are back in business now.

BUT, if people start looking for mass exodus, DO NOT be in that crowd. The crowd is always wrong. If the situation changes for the worst, and people start looking to all exit at the same time, and the avenues for exit are limited and clogged, DON'T DO IT. This would be the best advice you could give her for now.

She should fill up her tubs and empty bottles with water, so if supplies run short, she'll have it. If the neighbors are helping out, she should participate, and make sure she has a few days worth of canned foods, meats, vegetables, crackers, whatever. She should make short trips out to scout the situation and collect information from her neighbors, but she shouldn't head for a long cross-city hike right now. If she scouts it out, and finds a good ferry or some other boat within walking distance, and she can get to a less isolated area, then it might be a good idea, and maybe you could run up and meet her.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by drock905

yes that is what I keep hearing. I am thinking in a few days, IF basic services are not restored and they are still stuck in Brooklyn, and have to leave in a rush.

I agree with her, now it's better to get what you can and hold out, but if you know Brooklyn then you know that it is one of the most volatile areas, and has already had mass looting, so...I again, this is all I can do.

Let's say they start looting in her area, rioting, in a worst case scenario of a few days from now and nothing has changed for the better. Stores will run out, food will spoil with no electricity, and reduced police presence will turn ugly.

I know things are "fine", but this is NYC and this situation has too many variables to just NOT think about it.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

If you don't want to help, fine. I want suggestions, things you know, things you have read lately and what I can use to plan a route for her. Many heads are better than mine.

She is going to wait it out, but I am worried that she might have to leave in a hurry.

I never said I didn't want to help. I think it's great that you are getting ideas for a "what if," scenario.

I am not in Brooklyn, so, no, I have no idea what route she could take. Not knowing where Westchester is, I only tossed my idea about asking your LEO friend out there.

One thing I will offer is there is safety in numbers. Does she have friends close by that she can stay with, or who can stay with her?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

thank you. very helpful. I had not considered the water. I think there are a few boat companies running. I read that somewhere. I have to find it, they might be around Brooklyn,

You are right about being in the crowd. That is in part why I am making this thread for a situation like that. I told her the same thing.

Awesome, great idea and thanks again, very helpful.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

yes, from what I gather, her immediate neighbors are sticking together and helping out. There are roaming patrols of people from her neighborhood. I don't know what their numbers are exactly or what their disposition is. I think they would be her best bet as well. She is married and her husband is there with her so, two plus maybe 12-20 people working together. maybe more, less...?

thanks.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I wish I knew more about the area. The only help I can offer is to bump your thread and send best wishes that she comes through the crisis safe and sound. I think it's great that you're trying to gather this information for her, and it may help others who are in the same situation.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
So I have just a little more info to post since it might help others since I have pretty much made my evacuation route for her. Just making that now. I thought I would share some basic resources I think all New Yorkers should know about.

oh, ferries are down and will be so for a while.

If you don't know your evacuation center here is a map of them. They are the green dots. These sites, mostly high schools would double for information centers. Even though the storm has passed, it is good to know them in case an emergency comes in the future. If in doubt, worth a try.

www.nytimes.com...

here is a good site to know for updates and information. Office of the mayor.

www.nyc.gov...

if you can this ink has a registration for volunteer efforts in the hurricane relief. (NYC service) If you are not busy and can offer anything from money, to skilled service, to just some muscle, please register and lend a hand.

www.nyc.gov...

Thanks anyways guys. I hope you are all safe and in good company. If you can send a prayer NYC´s way.
good night.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Have them walk to a predesignated location where a limo/taxi can get to her, then drive north or west.

If you have cash, you will find SOMEONE willing to pick them up.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
if she is safe where she is and the house livable - stay put not worth the risk of running into looters or being detained by the authorities for being in a disaster area... if they have to leave do it at night under cover of darkness and avoid contact with people....

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Tell her if she is sticking it out to at least reinforce the doors and windows (a couple 2x4 set depth wise with brackets on either side will reinforce her doors to the point where they would have to take the doorframe down to get through. . If she is in an apartment complex she may even want to go around to the neighbors on that floor and talk about sealing off the floor so if the looters get that far they can't get into her floor. It is a catch 22 though as they risk sealing out potential help as well.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
First you need to decide that she is going to leave the city. Then, she can plan.

I'd walk inland. Don't know her physical activity level, but if you just keep walking, you're bound to reach a destination. If the then & there isn't safe right now, you've got to act.

I would hitch hike personally. With a sack full of the essentials (water, warmth, "shelter", food) she could just hop on a lift towards her direction. Remember with hitch hiking: It comes from within how you get the ride.

Blessings to your sis!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

My worries are that once the looters south of her finish cleaning out the stores, or the people hunkered down at home run out of things, they will venture out to grab what they can. Police are around, but are really busy. A 911 call is almost useless. My friend is a LEO in Westchester and he told me that it is a disaster in Brooklyn as far as the cops are concerned. Couldn't tell me much more.

You know I was wondering if this would happen.
There are a few things about sandy damage on tv but almost nothing of the situation in the aftermath.
It's almost like there is a media blackout on anything but direct storm damage.

Hope your sister is ok.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join