It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

last resort foods ...... what do you imagine they are????

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
If you come across a carcass of any kind, first you need to try and figure out how it died. If natural (old age, a predator, starvation, heat exhaustion) it will be relatively safe. Three things you will check are the eyes, the smell and if there are insects present.
The first to check is the smell, this one is pretty self explanatory. If it smells rotten, it is.
Insects: If ticks are present or still attached, then it's pretty fresh. Flies, beetles, or maggots then it's a few hours old at least.
Eyes: If the eyes are still intact and clearly visible, these are good signs of a fresh kill. If they are cloudy and dull or "smoked" then it's been dead for several hours.

Also, there are a few types of tree bark you can eat during the winter. There's a video on YouTube about it. I think Dave Canterbury does it.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I would have to say the unmarked cans I started storing years ago, used to 'rotate' the stock but then stopped buying canned foods for a longtime because of gmo, and then started again but just added to the front of the stock. I do not have a good supply anymore, lost a huge inventory in a fire and just dont have the will to do it again. Figure, large amounts of preps are dangerous because people find out, you become a target, an invasion on our soil, it makes you a target. I have many other reasons but am going to bed right now and listen to GhosttoGhost.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
stinging nettles are one of my favorite wild edibles, plentiful, easy to preserve, and not a lot of competition for them. earth worms are also good, easy to collect, taste a lot better when dry roasted, kind of a earthy mushroom taste.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Id say it depends where you're living. I'd say rather than just eating everything and anything, make a lot of teas. You can make them by just boiling water and putting spruce bows into the tea. or a veriety of planets, leaves, etc etc. Might be more palitable than trying to eat grass.

I wouldn't go eating other people. If you're that far gone just go for a long swim in a lake or ocean or something like that. Or if you ran into anyone rather than eat them ask them if they'll share their food or if they can help you. wow what a concept.

edit on 1-11-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJTHEFETT
If you come across a carcass of any kind, first you need to try and figure out how it died. If natural (old age, a predator, starvation, heat exhaustion) it will be relatively safe. Three things you will check are the eyes, the smell and if there are insects present.
The first to check is the smell, this one is pretty self explanatory. If it smells rotten, it is.
Insects: If ticks are present or still attached, then it's pretty fresh. Flies, beetles, or maggots then it's a few hours old at least.
Eyes: If the eyes are still intact and clearly visible, these are good signs of a fresh kill. If they are cloudy and dull or "smoked" then it's been dead for several hours.

Also, there are a few types of tree bark you can eat during the winter. There's a video on YouTube about it. I think Dave Canterbury does it.

I know. I never thought about the ticks until you said something but when I hang deer .... they always drop off as the carcass cools....

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Every part of the dandelion plant is edible (flower, stems, leaves, and roots). The stems and flowers can be eaten raw or cooked. The leaves taste bitter if eaten raw so it is usually better to boil them first. Remove the tough center vein from the leaves before you boil them. Wash the roots and boil them like a potato. They have an agreeable taste. Or you can dry the roots in the sun, crush them and use them as a substitute for coffee. From a medicinal perspective, any and all the parts of the dandelion plant help to improve blood circulation in the body.

The clover leaves may be eaten raw or boiled (older leaves are better boiled). The tiny flowers can be boiled to make a tea. The roots can be scraped, washed, and boiled.

Acorns are also edible if you remove the cap (or crown) and boil them at least three times in clean water. Then let the acorns dry in the sun. (Acorns contain a small amount of tannic acid which will make you sick if you dont boil it away first.
A handful of acorns is equivalent in nutrition to a pound of fresh hamburger..

Pine Cone Seeds: The seeds of a pine cone are located under the outer scales of the pine cone. Break off the scales to get to the seeds. There will be two winged seeds under each scale. The seeds may be eaten raw (the same way the squirrels do), or you may roast them.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I suggest you get in front of your computer and use it for something other than surfing and do the research before TSHTF days. Find out what you can and can't eat out there. If you have time store up some sprout of different kinds in mylar. they'll keep for many years. That way you can eat something green and fresh anytime you want it. But that is only one item. Get busy, that day is quickly apporaching.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
What's the point trying to eat to survive if the water isn't even potable? You aren't going to last long anyway. Even if the water is drinkable, I'd rather pass on than try and survive in a post-apocalyptic world. Eat what I can and if it kills me, it kills me.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
First,one must consider if one can stay where one is,or have to bail the AO.

Best to have some high calorie non-perishable food items that are lightweight.

Dehydrated stuff is nice,but wastes water to prepare,and costs too much,and tastes like crap.

-Nuts (any)
-Peanut Butter (whole)
-Crackers or Tortillas(wheat)
-Summer Sausage
-Cheese in a sealed container
-Honey
-2 gallons of water+several empty gallon jugs.

These foods are high energy,readily available,and all can live in your bug-out bag minus the cheese,without refridgeration.

Always prepare for the Worst Case Scenario,and hope for the best.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I live next to the ocean... so seaweed, fish, mussel, cellana, squid, octopus, crabs, lobster, dolphin, whales.... I think only the stupid people that live here would freak out and start eating each-other; you could just get a spike, some piping, a length of surgical rubber, and make yourself a spear for fishing. Although I could easily see how rationing/mismanagement/over harvesting with a bunch of freaked out civilian idiots might be a problem. Oh yeah, and summer squash, beans, chayote, all those kinds of things are really easy to grow in a relatively small amount of space.

If you're REALLY in trouble just raise grub/crickets/insects for protien... they taste great. I don't get Americans sometimes... eat each other... we really don't learn from other cultures do we?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
My Uncle was an Amercian soldier in WWII and was captured and put in concentration camp.

They ate: Fence nails, wood and rats were like a golden turkey feast.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
My cat in a nice wine/brown sugar glaze and some wild rice with a cold refreshing wine to wash that sack of furballs down.

Only in the worst case though cause I love my corporal cuddles.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Why not just buy a breeding pair of rabbits and start releasing their offspring?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
pine and spruce needles are full of vitamin C as are rosehips (the fat part under the flower, leave it after the flower dies and they are ready when they soften up)

Dandelion and other "weeds" are excellent greens full of tons of vitamins and minerals.

Get an ID book on your local plants, because we all live in different environments, but even the inner cities have weeds, so no matter where you are there should be something.

I wish I could help with protein, but our resources in our area are my fall back plan. I know most don't have that as an option though. Peanut butter powder stores well!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
People will eat other people as a seriously considered last resort, huh? What about dying with some dignity instead? What about grass, clover, insects, etc. I'm vegetarian and have been for over twenty years, with a small amount of fish and eggs in my diet (which is actually considered a category of vegetarianism despite the apparant meat element). I don't want to get to know you better if you would consider such a thing, but I will ask rhetorically : Is it possible that you are simply hooked on the "must have meat to survive" meme? It's not truth. It's only your preference.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
You mean I don't have to eat 10lbs of bacon a day to survive and that's just what the meat industry wants me to believe?! Heresy!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Acorns:
There no real need to boil acorns to leach out tannins. A long soak in flowing water, such as a stream, works just as well, and the end product is sweeter to my tastes. After removing the acorn caps, put them in water, and discard Amy that float. Floating is caused by a small boring worm that.makes good bait, but I digress. Place your sorted acorns in a cloth bag, tie a line to it, and lob the bag into a stream or river for at least three days. Then either roast, or grind into acorn flour.
Acorn flour, by the way, has no gluten. Keep that on mind if you plan on baking later.

Failing that, all parts of the kudzu plant, with the exception of the seeds, and seed pods, are edible. So I figure I'm set for salads, at least.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I know I'd happily eat cat and dog food, before I went to the supply of pot noodles.

Second Line

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Mud,road kills,cats and dogs,carcases,other death or alive people,cockroaches,barks,your own arm,garbage,shoes and many other pathetic feeding survival methods mentioned by some of you guys,are the clear examples of what a lazy,selfish uncreative and savage generation we all have become...Our set of morals and our self esteem has been taken away from us bit by bit by the media over the last century,and now this is the result ...So prepare yourselves to eat others or to be eaten by them...Good luck to you all.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I remember reading a while back that all birds are edible. The same with bird eggs. This site explains quite a bit.

www.eattheweeds.com...

This site also lists two birds which are infact poisonous. I wasn't aware of these. Being fron the UK, I doubt I'll come in to contact with them anyway mind!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join