It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

last resort foods ...... what do you imagine they are????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hello everyone, I was talking with my buddy from Ohio about prepping and survivalist stuff when he commented that some one told him that if you see a buzzard eating on a carcass that it would be edible to eat. This got me thinking.....

last resort foods?

plants?
roadkill?
bugs?

I really don't know. I guess it would depend on the situation... if nuclear then most water might not be potable and not even to be used for washing things off after filtering/sterilization... like contaminated plants?

then you would have to go to canned or some other pre-apocalypse food ...

I could see eating bugs,plants and many other things we don't think about now to survive and maintain your strength to continue on. wildlife? fighting a pack of wild dogs for their kill? cannibalism?

What could you imagine eating to survive?
edit on 31-10-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add

edit on 31-10-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: syntax

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Seaweed i have not seen mention once as a possible food obviously if by the sea and
certain kinds etc...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns
last resort foods?

plants?
roadkill?
bugs?

There is always Soylent Green....

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'd be apt to pop a hand full of some seeds that give your body the amino acids your body needs to survive.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
My last resort food is my 3 cats. I'd have to be very hungry though and would be more likely to eat next doors dog (which tastes alright if you don't think about what you're eating) first because I haven't bonded with that animal.

Rev

edit on 31/10/2012 by revmoofoo because: ETA

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
People, of course. I read that as long as you do not eat the brain you should be fine. I guess a big chunk of headhunter tribes actually died off from eating a certain part of the brain.

*Nevermind that last part, I could have swore I heard that somewhere years ago, I just cant find anything to back it up now.

Anyways I would eat people who annoyed me before TSHTF.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Violater because: pancakes

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Last resort, starving to death food options? After ketchup packets, then spoon fulls of spices laying around, the plants, then the pets, I'd boil all my leather shoes and eat them. And then I'd keep moving.

Edit: I realize the pets will upset some people, but if I'm starving so are they.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
as disgusting as this is going to sound, and I hope I never have to do it... but:

cockroaches. there are plenty of them.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Don't forget till we discovered fire we ate our food raw so our systems are able to handle a lot of crap so long as we give them chance to warm up and get used to the bacteria's

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
I'd be apt to pop a hand full of some seeds that give your body the amino acids your body needs to survive.

There is one seed that has more usable protein but it is considered illegal if it can sprout. Hemp seeds are a great source of protein.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater
People, of course. I read that as long as you do not eat the brain you should be fine. I guess a big chunk of headhunter tribes actually died off from eating a certain part of the brain.

*Nevermind that last part, I could have swore I heard that somewhere years ago, I just cant find anything to back it up now.

Anyways I would eat people who annoyed me before TSHTF.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Violater because: pancakes

Actually those canniabals were called the Fore Tribe .....

Kuru is an incurable degenerative neurological disorder that is a type of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, caused by a prion found in humans.[1] The term "kuru" derives from the Fore word "kuria/guria" ("to shake"),[2] a reference to the body tremors that are a classic symptom of the disease; it is also known among the Fore as the laughing sickness due to the pathologic bursts of laughter people would display when afflicted with the disease. It is now widely accepted that Kuru was transmitted among members of the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea via cannibalism.[3]

eating any dead thing without knowing what they died from could have disastrous results.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Simply put anything up to and including YOU.
2nds?................

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
how about mud, grass, tree bark? In Haiti, people eat mud all the time because they don't have food. Of course, their mud does have some nutritional value to it and pregnant women there eat it as part of their cravings.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Don't know really.. But I'd be opting for those that people call vermin first, Rats, Seagulls and the like.... have heard both cook up nicely and boiled Seagull with some samfire is meant to be quite a treat.. that is according to most fishermen I know, but that is usually after they have only had fish to eat for weeks on end, and at that point I think anything is considered a treat

The pesky gulls around here (greys and great blacks) seem to weigh in at 4-5lbs... and if they can steal my lunch then I think it only fair I make them into mine in return, well that is should it ever become necessary...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
if it doesnt run... fly... crawl.... swim too fast its lunch .... wouldnt touch any chem filled ... genetically modified rubbish westerners call food that stuff will kill you...

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I imagine eating nuts would become a source of protein for many. Some nuts people don't typically eat are edible even if they aren't eaten regularly by modern society.....like acorns...find a good oak tree and have at them.

Many plants and plant roots are also edible although my knowledge of plant roots is limited.

Hell I'd eat grass if I was hungry enough, although not too much because I imagine it would give you the runs.

I'd cook and eat a carcass depending on the age and to some degree the animal. (I wouldn't want to eat a skunk carcass for instance).

I suspect if there was no alternative for whatever reason I might even resort to cannibalism, although it's not high on my list of things I want to do, if not for the humanitarian reasons then simply because I wouldn't want any of the protein diseases in my brain that I know long term cannibalism is known to cause, but if I didn't have a choice, I'd take a disease over death even if only to extend my limited life....at least at this point....Of course in a post apocalypse I might not feel that way if everyone I care about is dead or suffering to that end. I might just say # it and jump from a high place in that situation.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

Acorns were such a successful staple of native Californian tribes that even without agriculture they had some of the highest populations in north America and an advanced culture normally associated with agricultural development. For many native tribes the last resort survival food, indeed a staple of the Adirondack (bark eaters), would have been the inner bark of some trees especially pine.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
To anyone planning on eating acorns. Please remember that you need to boil them first or else they are toxic. Don't want anyone getting sick trying this food source out.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I had to drink a snak once.Hang it up by the tail, cut off the head, put your mouth on the neck, and then squeeze from the tail towards your mouth.

Believe me when I tell you I would eat ANYTHING before I do that again.

At the same school they told us that any meat you can pick up with your hands still has nutrients. If you try to pick it up and it runs through your fingers, it is a waste of time. I would have to be pretty desperate to put that knowledge to the test.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
"Track Rabbits" the subway's finest for me. Protein Smoothies for the ladies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join